Urine culture is back!! I need some help or advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

Long story short.. I had surgery almost 5 eeeks ago. It was a gynaecology laparoscopy to remove endometriosis and they fitted in the Mirena coil. Since surgery I've had constant infections and super bugs keep growing on swabs and urine samples BUT today my surgeon came to see me as I was in hospital over night from collapsing and she said to me that the results are in and I have Pseudomonas aeruginosa in my urine and she has never heard of this before. Any anyone experienced this? 

My symptoms are middle and lower back pain (they won't check my kidneys), sickness, diarrhoea, vomiting,fever, tiredness, dizziness, loss of appetite and abdominal pain and my whole body is aching. Has anyone has this before? I have had issues since surgery with having vaginal E-coli, I got a mild form of MRSA after surgery and then I got a UTI and now this 😔 Can someone please share with me how long their symptoms lasted and what this actually is because google is telling me it's a deadly infection 💔

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have so much love for you all. I understand your pain. It really makes me happy to talk with other people that are going through same thing!!!! I will continue to research for us.... I think it's going to be up to us (suffering) to find a cure.

• Posted

So many problems caused by medical intervention!  We rely on them to save our lives but all too often the drugs give us even more problems.  My husband has had a permanent catheter for about 15 years now and the constant rounds of infections caused by it would probably have killed him by now if I hadn't done what I could to try to sort it.  He also had pseudomonas along with various other superbugs at one time or another. Amy, your problem sounds like your hospital is introducing these bugs into you!  I'm in the UK and know these things happen here.

The big (HUGE) problems with catheters is that the tips damage the bladder lining; also self cathing and other introductions of things e.g. cystoscopy tubes can cause damage too.  Your bladder lining is very sensitive but has a very clever mechanism of shedding a layer of the lining along with any bugs which keeps the bugs at bay,  Any scratching or damaging of the lining layers lets the bugs that are naturally present in your urine get a foothold  (urine isn't sterile, despite what people say!).

Once the bugs get a grip, they protect themselves with a fine layer called a biofilm and busily build a colony on the bladder wall - or around the tip of a permanent catheter and antibiotics have a terrible time trying to get through this film.  Often you find the doc says the infection has gone then a month later it's back - as the biofilm did its job of protecting the bugs. 

D Mannose is often cited as the only product that will break down the biofilm and I have no reason to doubt this is true although I haven't actually used it for myself (or my husband). It apparently has the perfect acidity and maybe other qualities - it's a type of sugar.  You need to take it constantly for several weeks as it just gradually wears away the film until the bugs are uncovered and can be dealt with.

Cranberry juice taken daily has been shown to prevent the bugs from clinging to the bladder walls in the first place, but you need to make sure it's 27% (e.g. ocean spray or lidl's own brand) as the other supermarket brands are only 10%.  One study said this doesn't work but they didn't specify the strength of the juice - my bet is they used the cheaper type!

When you take antibiotics ALWAYS take probiotics as well, every day and also for weeks after the course of ABs is finished.  The clue is in the name - the ABs kill off all your microbiome as well as any bad bugs lurking in your bladder or wherever so you have to keep replacing the good bugs or your gut (and your health) will suffer.  You can get a good variety in capsules for health shops but live yoghurt is also a great way to take them.  There are other fermented products so get searching and find as big a variety as you can - your gut will thank you.  ABs have been shown to affect your gut for various lengths of time with penicillin being the quickest to recover from, the cephalosporins (Cephalexin) take a few months and the fluoroquinolones (Cipro) can take over a YEAR (but the study stopped after one year so who knows the actual long-term damage?).

If you're prescribed Cipro (or other Fluoroquinolone) please ask for a different AB as these are very powerful and should only be used as a last resort - there are several discussions about them here on this site so take a look. If you're told you have to have them because there is no other option to save your life, please consider taking all the things that they say NOT to take with them e.g. dairy products, calcium etc.  They say on the leaflet about these things as they slow the uptake of the FQ - but the FQs are so strong they penetrate all your cells really deeply and actually 'steal' your essential minerals, metals and oxygen from your cells!  This means your cells can't function properly and causes all kinds of long term damage. If you take Cipro or other FQ but at the same time supplement with multi-minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and dairy food you will protect your cells from the damage while the Cipro can still get on with its proper job of killing bugs (not stealing your health!).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.