Uro-Lift Procedure

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello one any all.  I have talk to many of you guys on here about many of the procedures for prostate problems.  Have talked to Chuck many times before and after he had the Uro-Lift.   I had mine done on April 27, 2015.  4 implants The first 3 day was the worst. But after the first week all is great.  I don't get up at night and I am on no pills.    We all heal at a different pace.  I think one thing that helped me was having a catheter put in while I was under.           My doctor and I talk about it because I have a problem peeing on demand.  He was cancerned about clots.  Not a fan of the catheter but said yes.  I went home a hour later.  Evertime I peed I had a bladder spasms which made blood come out around the outside of the catheter.  Cleaned up alot.  The first one was in the hospital.  I told my son and he asked the doctor which said that was normal  I drank alot of water and within 10 hours my urine was clear.  I think it help having the catheter in.  Took it out 2 days later That first day it burned but after that it was fine.  They don't put a catheter in for this procedure but it may help if they did.  Would save alot of time back to the hospital..  Ken                PS................I came across this today when I was looking some things up  On ..... January 29, 2014 ...... NeoTract announced that the UK's National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence ( NICE ) has issues an Interventional Procedure Guidance approving the Urolift can be done by UK doctors..........              

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would still go for a memokath especially in UK where it's easy to get. No catheter is needed and no worries if it's not working always easy to take out. So memokath is only real reversible solution out there. Meaning you always can come back to your staying point if it for some reason is not working. But in min 90 percentage of the time it's working so again why not start with memokath and see if this is not the perfect solution and actually the biggest advantage is that it has a lot of positive clinical evidence proofing that it's a very safe procedure.
    • Posted

That is true but it give the patient another procedure to try and not hear from a doctor.  This is all I am offering take it or leave it..  Have a good day.....Ken
  • Posted

I posted a link to the NICE article on different procedures recently after it approved Urolift if anyone wants to search for it.
  • Posted

Hi Ken;  Iam going to make a short note as I have some "running" to do today with lots of errands.  I had my Urolift just 4 days ago on June 23rd.  Iam feeling about 90% better and doing fine today.  But a suggestion Iam going to make to the Doctors Clinic for future patients would be to "irragate and flush them out" after the procedure.  This is very IMPORTANT.   You have lots of "blood clots" in you after the procedure.  I ended up at the "EMERGENCY ROOM" on tuesday night for around 7 hours while they put a huge catheter and foley bag in and on me.  The pain was absolutely "INCREDIBLE".  Thought I was going to die right there in the emergency room.  Sweat rolling off my face, legs were quivering and I just about passed out on their nice marble floor!!!!!!!   Had the Doctors office flushed out all the clots it could have saved me a $5,000 emergency room bill.  Anyone considering this procedure should "demand" that they Doctors office flush and irragate them afterwards.  In the hotel room I cathered myself "twice" but the catheters they gave me were "small" and just a few blood drops came out.  I had drank that afternoon about 60 to 70 oz. of water as thats what I was told to do!!!!!    I followed the Doctors orders.  When I called their "answering service" at 7PM on tuesday night the Doctor called me back and told me to go to the nearest Hospital emergency room.  Today Iam doing fine and things are looking really good.  I use to get up 4 times a night.  Now its 3 times a night.  But let me say I think its the brain doing that to me as my channel is now open and when I pee it comes up with a nice strong stream.  Iam not sorry I did the procedure just warning you guys that are thinking about it that there will be "Blood Clots that might BLOCK YOUR URETHA" AND CAUSE SERIOUS PROBLEMS AFTERWARDS.  And naturally when the problem occurs it will be at night when the doctors office has long gone home.  Hope this will help you.
    • Posted

I am glad you are doing better when we talk earlier you told me you were doing better.  Make sure you rest when you come back.  I think that is the first thing they do after the implants are place.  Fush out with saline.  I think with you being from out of town If they would have put a catheter in for 2 days it would have save you alot of pain and going back to the hospital.  They could he removed it the thursay ou left...It is still new andthere working to make it better   Talk to you later my friend  Ken
    • Posted

As far as I knew they woud flush out after any type of prostate surgery.
  • Posted

Hi Ken can I ask you why you keep posting the same message? Are you a part of the urolift team or are you a patient? You know that there are many alternatives which is much for minimal invasive compared with Urolift. You have the Allium the Uventa and the Memokath where as especially the last solution has been established in the market for a very long period with a very high succes rate. All these procedures takes max 15 minutes and then you leave the hospital. Problem is that doctors do not feel it's interesting to use 15 min and see the patients leave again. For doctors it's much more interesting to work like a real procedure with blood and a little bit cutting and working with patients under full anesthesia like eg the Urolift. Furthermore the urolift still has to show more in terms of clinical based evidence. Question what will happen in 2 years from now when the prostate grows back. You will not have removed the urolift and you need to have a new insertion. What will happen after 10 years when a lot of devices has been left inside the prostate. Sorry it is not to make you scared but if it was then I would wait some years before trying a technology where you do not remove the product when inserting a new. For both Uventa Allium and Memokath they will be removed. But only one who has proved clinical to stay inside for a very on period is the Memokath. Anyway good luck to all and rememver there are many alternatives out there. -smile
    • Posted

Casper  Thank you for your concern.  I am a patient.  And I did have a urolift procedure.       After talking about it with my doctor that is what I decided to have. I also have a stricture just before the sphicter muscle.  One day I will have to have that taking care of but for now with opening up the prostate it makes it easier to pee. The anesthesia was the same that they use for a colonscopy.  Had that done 2 weeks before.  Came out of both easy.  Went home within a hour.     I know there are other procedures out there and I trust my doctor.  I was on pills for 6 months and the side effects I did not like with them.  For now all is well and on no meds. My urologist is not knife happy  We will not know what the furture holds with this but in the 7 years that they have been doing the urolift all the patients have had good out comes. And if it last 10 years thats good.  Who knows how long I am going to live.  I can pee great now thats all that matters to me   Everyone decides what is best for therebodys.  What ever solution a man picks for themselves  natural or less avasive surgery anything is better then cutting away at the prostate.  I hope it helps.  On the memokath stent you don't fine it in the US much.  Take care  Information is the key  Ken            
    • Posted

You are asking the questions on Urolift that I have been asking for some time. It may be tucked out of the way but it will keep on growing.

Kenneth the disciple of Urolift is totally against cutting or lasering.

• Posted

Yes, it will keep growing. True statement.  I just had a urolift myself on June 23rd, 2015.  Tuesday of last week.  Iam going to remain "neutral" at the moment as to "if I feel it was worth the pain and agony" I went thru.  E R Visit for 7 hours - plugged up and had to be catherized and foley bag, etc.  Iam now peeing just fine.  Still getting up 3 times a night to pee instead of the usual 4.  Now Iam thinking I need to "retrain my old brain".  Iam starting to think its no longer the prostate and not even the bladder but the brain says "hey its two and half hours since you peed so get your lazy ass out of bed and do it"!!!!!!  I like Ken feel this is still a good procedure because of the "NO CUTTING".   When I was having a discussion last week with the URO that did my Urolift he even said himself that the other procedures all involve cutting and very nasty side effects regarding sex and RE.  So suit yourself and always remember once they go in there and start cutting there is no changing your mind.  Or as my Dad use to say "son there is NO DO OVER".
    • Posted

I have been mostly happy with my two laser procedures. They stopped any urgency and daytime frequency and retention. My flow is variable and not as good as expected. Yesterday I only went three times during the day at 7.35, 14.15 and 22.30. However like you I usually go three times during the night so still lose out on sleep.. 
    • Posted

Derek why should you have your prostate cut or lasered when you can try something that they don't cut anything. and it may help  Your still getting up at night to go to the bathroom.  I use to get up 4 to 5 times a night and that was on pills to help my bladder and prostate.  Chuck has had problem for 20 years  I think in time he will stop going at night  Right now it's habit.  With the urolift that I have after about 7 day  I don't get up to pee.  I sleep at least 6 hour a night.  Take care and I hope yours get better..Ken    
    • Posted

Hey Chuck.  This is for Derek   Yes your prostate will keep growing but the implants are strong enough to keep it open...Ken  
    • Posted

I need to see some pictures. Restraining  someting that is growing one would think would damage it.
    • Posted

Hi Derek;  Yes, its the night time getting up that does bother most of us.  As I said earlier Iam not sorry I had the Urolift.  I have a nice strong stream now and I don't start and stop like I use to.  That alone makes it worth while to me. I definitley can hold it longer too.  I have no problem holding it well over 3+ hours now.  As you may know I also had the "PAE" last September with no success.  Thats why I did the Urolift just last week some 8 days ago.  I guess we'll just have to "wait and see" how I do over the next few months.  But I have a feeling I will continue to get up and pee about 3 times a night as thats what I have averaged since the procedure.  What kind of laser did you have done????
    • Posted

I had Green Light PVP in 2005 and Holmium in 2013.

There are so many different theories on night urination. The volume I pass now during the night is less than it was prior the last peration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.