Urolift for Urine retention

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 71 years old, make a yearly visit for a wellness exam and everything on the report is positive. I consider myself to be in good health.

On 9-12-2019, I visited a Nurse Practitioner at a local Urology office.

Reason for visit is that I had a sudden instance of pain during urination.

Never had anything like it before. Never had a catheterization, never been to emergency room for treatment. Never had kidney stones. Maybe once every couple of weeks, I might have to get up and go to the bathroom during the night

She did a prostate exam and blood test and was told that I had a case of e-coli bacteria.

She then set me up for a cystoscopy procedure with the urologist. Right after the exam, the urologist wanted me to have the Urolift procedure. I didn't know what a Urolift was at the time, so I just trusted the urologist.

On 11-22-2019 had the Urolift procedure done.

On 12-6-2019 I make another follow up visit and I am still retaining about 100 ml of urine. Now I'm starting to have doubts about this procedure.

On 9-10-2020 , went back to the urologist and had a urine retention of 200 ml.

I am having doubts about the Urolift procedure for my situation.

Am I wrong to feel this way?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

ml_bright,

If I am understanding correctly the only problem you had was e-coli bacteria. It was probably causing inflammation and burning/painful urination. The usual treatment for that is antibiotics. Did they put you on a course of antibiotics ? Urolift was probably not called for at that time, and is too aggressive of a treatment. I don't know all your circumstances, but it boarders on malpractice.

Thomas

• Posted

Thanks for your response.

The nurse practitioner put me on generic Bactrim and on flomax until I had the Urolift procedure.

• Posted

Were you retaining before the Urolift ? Or did Urolift cause the retention ? Hank

• Posted

Thanks for you your response.

Had a urine retention of 200 ml on first visit to urologist on 9-10-2019.

Had Urolift procedure on 11-22-2019

Follow up visit to Urologist on 12-6-2019, Urine rentention of 100 ml.

Last visit to Urologist on 9-10-2020, Urine retention of 200 ml.

All urine retention was obtained by the Urologist's Bladder scan device.

I don't think the Urolift caused any retention, I don't think it did any good in my case.

• Posted

Thanks for your answer,

I don't seem to be having any problems as of right now.

Today, I drank 2 liters of water during the day trying to make sure I could wash out any bacteria.

I also measured my urine output and two times today I reached 500ml each time. My minimum was 260ml. I probably went about 6 times today.

What really bothers me is that I fell for this scam after "One" uti.

One thing I have learned is to get a second opinion.

• Posted

You can still go, which is good. However, you're probably still retaining.

• Posted

Any suggestions to what I can do about the retention?

At my age of 71, I thought some retention was acceptable.

• Posted

Just drink enough liquid, to reduce chances of stagnant urine which might cause Uti's, but not too much because too much intake will increase your retention and might affect your kidneys. Also, empty it more often. Don't wait until it reaches 500ml.

As for myself, I am self cathing. But this is an adventure by itself. Hank

• Posted

Thank you for answering each and everyone of my questions,

You have helped me both physically and mentally.

I will take your advice.

Hope one day that You can get back to a normal life.

ml_bright

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.