Urolift Guys, Keep in mind.

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is not so much of a "discussion" as it is a gentle reminder.

When they do the Urolift they are clamping some devices 4 or more times, which can dig into your prostate (a good thing, that way they are tight).  So realize that your prostate is traumatized, and your body is trying to rid of it instead of acccepting it.  So there is going to be some stuff to deal with,  initially.    Give it a little time and your prostate will comply with the foreign objects.   Hey, we are probly all in our 50s or better and our bodies are pretty stubborn when it comes to healing up.   Its all worth it!

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anthony:

Are you a doctor?

• Posted

Nope not a Dr.   just been going through this for some time now.  Many talks with my Urologist, as well as the Urolift people.     Personal experiences.  Saw first hand how a testesterone shot can clash directly with this procedure,   Something my urologist didnt know that had done until after the fact.   Plus I also witnessed first hand that just 3-4 hours after taking  ibuprofen, such as Motrin to battle against any inflamation,  I was able to pee very successfully, 450 cc which i had measured in a measuring cup, purchased at the Dollar Store for a buck.  I continued to pee the best that I have in over 15 years.   So my Dr was right in believing that I was inflammed and the Motrin helped.   I screwed up matters by going in and getting back on my shots.

All of that coupled with some common sense, like simply knowing that if your prostate gets a bunch of prostetics installed on it, i would think it  is safe to say that it is going to be an un-happy organ, at least for a little while.    Dont you?    

• Posted

If you are a doctor you have made some wild claims.
    • Posted

So Chip,  tell me how those are "wild" claims.

If you are consideering having it done then at least you will have some things to consider when talking to your Dr.

• Posted

Not much different than dental work. No one worries about titanium in the mouth.
  • Posted

Quite a few Guys on another Forum say they take ibuprofen or codine at night and it prevents them from going during the night. Others take an antihistamine. Too much  of either can put you in retention.
    • Posted

Yes Derek, I too have had issues urinating when I needed to take antihistamines for an allergy. And have heard of scrip type pain med doing the same.However if taking a 200mg ibuprofen every 12 hours to hedge against inflammation so you can urinate is also a problem for them then definitely they should let their doc know about that.What would one do if they had a bad tooth ache, or something that causes inflammation ? There has to be something available for those cases. Just my opinion. I can say it sure helped me! There are also scrip anti inflammatories that are not ibuprofen as well??
    • Posted

Because of previous ulcers/stomach trouble I have mostly avoided  ibuprofen.  The other week my GP said in passing that they are now contra indicated as I had a pacemaker fitted last month. Next time I must ask why that is.
    • Posted

Links to rival forums are not allowed. It was an often mentioned thing on the News Group sci  med  prostate  bph that is much less used nowadays.

This is one from 2005.

I'm 65 and have had BPH for 10 years. For most of that time I've taken Saw Palmetto, and for the last couple of years I added Beta Sitosterol (Natrol Cholesterol Balance). They both seemed to help, and I honestly believe my symptoms may have subsided a bit since I started the Beta Sitosterol, but it's pretty subjective. Even so, going without peeing through a two hour movie was pretty tough, and I was up 2 - 5 times a night. Then, about three months back I was being bothered, mainly at night, by arthritis -- so I took a couple of Ibuprofen, and it helped the arthritis, but it also seemed to have an effect on the nightly trips to the john. I decided to experiment, so I talked to a pharmacist and in my case it seemed ok to take 800mg before going to bed. The effect was immediate and dramatic. In the last month I haven't had my sleep interrupted so much as once, and not more than a couple of times in the last three months. As long as I pop some ibuprofen first, movies are no longer a problem, either. (-8 The dose I'm taking exceeds manufacturer's recommendations, and for those taking an aspirin for their heart, Ibuprofen can interfere with the blood thinning effect, so it's probably not for everyone. A doctor is the best one to decide. Anyhow, for whatever it's worth, I just wanted to pass along my experience.

• Posted

Heck no, at the moment my prostate is not causing problems again although it is 50 grms. I had PVP in 2005 and Holmium laser in 2013 and it keeps on growing..

My flow is variable but no reason was found for it when I had a cystoscopy earlier this year. I hardly go during the day but have always gone two or three times during the night.

• Posted

It's a great point anthony2858.  I had mine done on Monday and today is Friday and I went down to my uro office again because I am still not able to pee much and thought maybe I have a clot or a UTI. Again, like yesterday, they told me that this is just part of the process , it is early on and that the urethra, prostate, and bladder are all sensitive areas that never get touched and they have been traumatized. She actually said 'Keep in mind, you had big staples driven into your prostate, it's going to take a while for things to calm down'. 

It's difficult going thru this first week but hopefully things get better bit by bit. I did ask her about taking Advil to reduce inflammation and she said go for it so I have started that as well as a new medication to help with the burning, pain, and bladder spasms. It's called Uribel and I have used it before after cystoscopies, etc, and it works well.

Hang in there everybody

Rob (55, California)

• Posted

Anthony -

Staying that your "prostate is traumatized." And your body is trying rid of it..."

Those seem to be rather bold statements. Is there some empirical evidence to support those assertions!?

That's all I was wondering.

I've been to seven urologists. And everyone of them has had a different opinion. And I live in Los Angeles. So one would think all these hot shot doctors would have some type of uniformity in their advice.

No hard feelings. Just seems to be discouraging statements for the "faint of heart" urolift prospects.

• Posted

Anthony.  Had mine done in april of this year the first week was the worst.  I had a catheter for 2 days which workd great.  I have heard on here that sometime you have to go back to the hospital to be catheter.  If they did it after the procedure it would save some time. I never felt the 4 implant he put in.. Everyones body heal at diffrent way .ken  
    • Posted

Hello there Ken,  I never felt uncomfortable inside me,  just had a hell of a time getting to the point to where I could finally be confident that Im back to p*ssing like a horse.   I was in and out of the hospital with either just a bladder scan to them actually inserting a cath. which that one stayed in for about 4 days.   I did not get one on the day of the procedure,   I actully went pee,  kinda.   But like most guys I was expecting "instant" results.   Doesnt work quite like that...   I drove over a period of 3 days just 1 week after my procedure and had to do it with a cathater,   boy talking about doing something you would never expect>   However it was not too bad.

Nice to hear from you again.

• Posted

Anthony I had a catheter put in after the procedure.  Had it in only 3 days The morning after I had to drive my son to the court house for jury duty.  I just put my pants on dropped him off came home and took them off and rested on the bed. Then went and picked him up.  Coming out was not a problem but going in is....Glad I was out when he did it Have a great day buddy  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.