UroLift issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I know there's already a UroLift thread but for the life of me I could figure out how to post in it, only reply to others' posts. Anyway, I had the procedure this afternoon & wasn't able to urinate before I left the office. Since I have a medical background (equivalent to an LPN) & I know how to self-catheterize, they let me go home, with plenty of supplies of course. I still couldn't pee & my bladder was spasming. I was able to cath myself on the 2nd try but there was a lot of blood & several clots (I expected that). Has anyone else had issues peeing & how long did it last?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Eddie.  Sometime you can't pee right after the procedure because the prostate is swallow.  Some doctor will put in a catheter for a couple of day.  When I had mine done 3 years ago I had a catheter.  It is much better to put on in when your out then run to a hospital and have to have one put in then.  You should be fine in a few days.  If you did not have the medical back ground he may have put a catheter in you.  I had the spasms for a few days after and did pass blood and clogs.  In the urine and outside of the catheter.  I kept a towel between my legs at night just in case I had the spasm while I was sleeping.  Give yourself some time.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Thanks for the info! I didn't have a catheter, just the instrument to deploy the implants. He gave me 10 mg of Valium IV. It would have put most people out in a couple of minutes. Not me, I was wide awake through the whole thing. I think the worst part was when he placed each implant it sounded like a freaking staple gun!!

• Posted

Yes they do.  When I had mine I had a general.  I went home a hour after I woke up.  Just relax and drink a lot of water.  Sometime  when we are worried no matter what they do you can fight it.  When I had my first procedure to check my heart.  I was suppose to be out enough so if then needing me to do something but my niece which was one of the nurses in the room said that they gave me double the dose.  I did not go to sleep until after it was over.  You should be fine.  Ken    
  • Posted

Hello Eddie, I had the urolift done 3 months ago. I also could not urinate when I left the office. I have been self- cathing since then. It is getting better but I need to take rapaflo and stay away from caffeine but I still can't fully empty my bladder. The surgeon says my prostate sphincter muscle is not relaxing completely. In regards to cathing, I was doing 6 times a day for the first month and now I usually cathe just once in am and once in pm. I'm scheduled to see my doctor in 3 weeks for follow up. He mentioned something about a procedure to teach the sphincter how to open and close again with electrical stimulus. Im not going to have that procedure done. I'm going to a Chinese accupuncturist who says he can cure me in one or two visits. I'll let you know if it works. Also, I want to say this was the most painful procedure I have ever had done. on a 1-10 it was a 15 It hurt so bad I could not even scream. The procedure was done in the office without anesthesia. NEVER AGAIN. Since it hurt so bad, i'm wondering if the surgeon didn't do damage to my sphincther during the procedure. Good Luck

• Posted

Oh man, that had to have been awful. Like I posted back to Ken, he gave me 10 mg of Valium that literally did nothing. I was wide awake and carrying on a conversation with them (the doc, the nurse and the UroLift rep) the entire time. It hurt but not terribly. The medical assistant had numbed my bladder (100 cc of lidocaine inserted via catheter) and the doctor had numbed my prostate (by needle transrectally). The last one hurt the worst but even it wasn't awful and only hurt for a few seconds. I've been drinking since I left the office and feel like I have to go before long so we'll see. They gave me several catheters, lube and wipes to clean myself so it's as sterile as possible. The last thing I need is a UTI on top of this!

Eddie

• Posted

Eddie did the doctor give you any antibiotic to take after the procedure.  My doctor gave me 3 days of something don't remember what it was.  He said it was to prevent a UTI.  Ken    

• Posted

Yes, I have 3 or 4 days worth of antibiotics (can't recall what at the moment and I'm in bed and too lazy to go look LOL). Anyway, I started last night so I already had two doses in before the procedure. I just had to self-cath again. More blood clots. Im 99% sure that's why I can't pee yet. Surprisingly, I'm really not in any pain. A bit uncomfortable and it's certainly not pleasant when I'm advancing a catheter into my bladder, but otherwise I'm ok. He gave me a Rx for Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) but unless something drastically changes tomorrow I don't think I'll even need the rest. I had to take one an hour before the procedure and I just took my second one in case i have any pain during the night. I'll probably have someone swing by his office tomorrow and get me more catheters, lube and antibacterial wipes to get me through the long weekend. Maybe I can talk them out of some lidocaine jelly too. That would make the caths a little more bearable.

• Posted

Yes that may help.  I had the catheter for 3 days.  Had no problem after that just the burning for 2 days.  Just get some rest.  I just learned how to do CIC.  It took me 5 time's  I was in the hospital a few week ago and my bladder stopped working so I ask my doctor if it was a good idea to learn just in case it happens again.  He said yes so he gave me a box of 30 catheters.  Take it easy for a few days.  Do not seat for long period.  Give the prostate a rest.  Take care and god bless  Ken   .   

• Posted

Thanks Ken! I'm resting all weekend with the relatively short exception of church Sunday morning. I'm not planning on doing anything but laying on the sofa watching TV for the next four days.

Eddie

• Posted

I did that for the first 3 or 4 days.  Only thing I had to do was take my son for jury duty on Tuesday.  I just through my pants on over the catheter dropped him off and came back and layed down.  Moving would give me the bladder spasms and they the clops would come out.  What a pain.  Rest and enjoy your weekend.  If you want to know anything else just ask.  Ken 
    • Posted

You are looking for more problems if an accupuncturist tells you he can cure your problem in one or two treatments.
    • Posted

Good Morning Eddie.  How did you sleep.  I was thinking of you and I hope you were able to rest.  Don't know ehre your at but here in Orlando it's a raining and damp.  Good day to satay home.  Just rest and let everyone take care of you this weekend .  Remember lay down when you can don't sit up for to long.  Take care and have a good holiday  Ken 

• Posted

Good morning to you too Ken. I slept well, only had to get up to self-cath once. I'm just outside Asheville, NC but am originally from NE Florida and know metro Orlando very well. I'm not in any pain at all so far this morning. That's a pleasant surprise! Now if I could just get all the blood clots out of my bladder and pee that would be pretty awesome. Don't worry about me getting rest. I actually went back to sleep for a couple of hours this morning and on lying on the sofa watching tv with the laptop in front of me. I'm sure I'll spend pretty much the entire day here. 

• Posted

That is great.  Yes that is the best rest is the key to healing.  Just got back from having blood work done.  9 Tubes  have to eat something.  I may wait and talk my son to work first and they make me a sandwich for lunch.  I have a couple of programs that i watch in the afternoon.  I live 10 minutes from the Orlando airport.  Been here for over 20 years. Came done to take care of my Father-in-law.  Will be going to Georgia next week.  My daughter live there and we will be having Christmas with the family.  She has 3 kids.  I have a son here with 2 kids.  I have another son that I don't know what he is waiting for.  He's 35 and no plans on getting married yet.  Well maybe one day.  Well Take care and just relax.  Ken 

• Posted

GOOD MORNING TO ALL AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.  Let's hope 2018 bring us all good health and happiness.  God Bless you All  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.