UroLift issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I know there's already a UroLift thread but for the life of me I could figure out how to post in it, only reply to others' posts. Anyway, I had the procedure this afternoon & wasn't able to urinate before I left the office. Since I have a medical background (equivalent to an LPN) & I know how to self-catheterize, they let me go home, with plenty of supplies of course. I still couldn't pee & my bladder was spasming. I was able to cath myself on the 2nd try but there was a lot of blood & several clots (I expected that). Has anyone else had issues peeing & how long did it last?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Weird, I couldn't stop peeing...peeing every few minutes...had to ride home with a pee bottle under a blanket.  Whichever, the surgery is traumatic to a lot of tissue in the urethra.  Takes time to heal...give time time.   I'm 2 1/2 years post Urolift and loving it.  I sleep now.

• Posted

Thanks for that info, it really is very encouraging! I managed to control the nighttime peeing by not drinking much in the evenings. But I had a hard time starting, then never fully emptied my bladder. So the catheter that was put in Friday night in the ER came out earlier. OMG, that was awful!! They had used a coudé catheter, which has a rigid bent tip. They irrigated my bladder and no blood clots other than a couple of relatively small ones that came out initially. I haven't seen blood since then (other than a few small clots and some older blood that came out around the catheter during a BM yesterday). So I tried to pull it the morning. Cut the tubing to drain the balloon and gently pulled. Everything was great until that damned tip got to the meatus. I couldn't do it. Finally I texted a PA friend of ours to get her opinion. She said the best thing would be to lay down and let my husband pull it. Before I did that, I took a pain pill (only the 3rd one they gave me because I haven't had any pain), a muscle relaxer and an anti-anxiety med (yes, the urologist approved of taking them together). Then I cleaned my hands and the tubing I'd already gotten out, squirted some sterile KY on it and advanced it a couple of inches back in to get even a little lube inside. Went and laid down on the bed with a couple of towels under me and took a few minutes to gain my composure. Made sure the tip of the coudé was pointing upward to make it easier to remove. Then held my breath while waiting for Sean to do the deed. It was out in about a second and didn't hurt at all!! Just a moment of discomfort. Now I'm eating a bit of foods to alkalize my urine and drinking tons to dilute it so it hopefully won't feel like battery acid when I pee!!!

Anyway, enough of my soap opera. Happy New Year to all you guys. You've really helped me get through this and given me hope that it will work!!

Eddie

• Posted

Eddie I know this has been a pain but let's hope you will start  to heal.  I have to have a coude catheter because of my stricture when they catheter me.  Rest and let Sean take care of you for a few day.  Take it easy  Ken

• Posted

Ken, it's a late Christmas miracle!! I just peed for the first time about 15 minutes ago. Slightly uncomfortable but ZERO actual pain! And I didn't have to strain, plus my bladder actually feels empty. I'm feeling a whole lot better about this now.

Eddie

• Posted

Yes that is a blessing.  I think all doctors that do the Urolift should put a catheter in for a few days.  It makes it easier for the clogs and to pee.  And it save time and pain if you can't to run to the hospital.   But it is up to the doctor.  I hope all goes well for you now. Rest up my friend  Ken 

• Posted

Good evening Eddie.  I was going through some of the post and came across your name.  Been thinking about you.  How is 2018 doing so far for you.  Do you have anymore improvement.  How are you and Sean doing.  I hope all is well and I wish you a good and happy year  Ken   
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

So far all is well. Work has been a little rough on me physically (long story that had nothing to do with the BPH) but it's not horrible. I went for my follow-up with my urologist Thursday. My flow has improved drastically. He showed me my pre-procedure urodynamics results, then Thursday's and said it was almost completely normal, which was pretty obvious to even me. I still retained a bit too much but I have IBSD and really needed to have a bm so I was trying to not let that happen while I was peeing! I was having some burning though so think I may have a UTI from all the self catheterization mess. He sent a sample to the lab to find out and gave me some samples of Uribel in the meantime. I took one shortly after getting to work after the appointment and wasn't able to pee for most if the day. Long story short, I pushed as much water as I could and finally started peeing again. So now I'm off the Flowmax and the real test begins.

Sean and I are doing well aside from all that drama. Now if we can just get through this weekend we'll be fine. It rained the past two days after being extremely cold (down to 4° several nights) for a couple of weeks with a warm-up this week. Now it's 16 and we had a light dusting of snow overnight. But I'm concerned there may be a ton of ice under the snow. Fingers crossed...

Hope you're doing well too. I appreciate all your support through all this. I obviously don't have many people I can talk to about it so you've been such a great help. I'm very grateful.

Eddie

• Posted

Hi,

I had Uro-Lift surgery just over a year ago & man do I regret that decision. It has completely ruined my sex life and rendered erections impossible.

Sure, I can p**s now, though not as well as expected, but before surgery I had to self-cath just to have relief.

I was told & assured that the Uro-Lift procedure would not affect sexual function. BULLS**T! In addition, after doing a lot of self research prior to surgery, I was told that I would be able to come off the meds (Rapaflo & Jalyn) post surgery. My urologist still has me on Jalyn. I'm deflated & feel useless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.