Urolift painful ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Is the Urolift procedure painful? My uro wants to give me just one pain pill and one valium pill and I think that i may need more than that.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Buddy

Some men can take pain better then others. I had a general when I had mine. Talk to him tell him you want to be out. It should be up to you.

Ken

• Posted

dude, do not accept a vicodin and valium! i had rezum done with that exact regimen and it was TERRIBLE! this is the 21st century. if he can't do a procedure that is reasonably comfortable for you.... he shouldn't do it. my pain was 8/10. or more. completely unacceptable for an elective procedure in this day and age.

• Posted

I have NOT had the procedure. But. My Uro said I would hate him for 5 days afterwards. Good luck!

• Posted

Just had it. Get the general if you can. I am writing up a more detailed post of what I've been through. Thank God I had general anesthesia!!! They pretty much lightly put me under but I was in a lot of pain afterwards. Felt like my penis has been through a wood chipper. My doc was very experienced too so I don't think that was the issues.

I am one week after surgery and just now is my penis not incredibly sensitive to touch. I had all kinds of issues with the catheter afterwards.

• Posted

Make sure you have IV sedation/anesthesia

for this . i had it done 18 months ago under

sedation and it was not that big a deal. Catheter annoying for a few days but entirely bearable. This is not an office procedure . I don't care what some MD 's say. As a retired dentist I can tell you that

results are almost always better with a fully

anesthetized patient- not one squirming around in pain.

Tom

• Posted

I had Urolift done on June 30. It has been a great move for me. I was in total retention and now I only wake up once per night to pee and have had no other side effects.

As far as pain goes, I would ask for something stronger. When I woke up from the operation, it was very painful. By the second day it was tolerable and by day three i really didn't need a painkiller. I needed a catheter for a few days til the swelling went down.

• Posted

And definitely have a general. I was out for the procedure. The pain was really bad upon awakening so I would imagine being awake thru it to be totally unnecessary and extremely painful.

• Posted

Lew, I had my Urolift three years ago. Office visit. Five fasteners. I felt them all and by the fifth, I was glad it was over. After the procedure they filled my bladder and made sure I could pee before leaving the office. No catheter, and drove myself home to rest for the remainder of the day. I had some blood for the first couple times urinating, and had excruciating pain at the tip of the penis when urinating. A little blue pill they had given me after the procedure made that pain very bearable, once I started taking it. I had only a little discomfort after the first couple days. The Urolift procedure gave me almost immediate relief of the frequency and urgency I had dealt with for the few years previous. After three years, it is still giving me relief, and I would do it all over again. My only worry is that the prostate continues to grow, and I don't know if I will again begin to experience the extreme urgency and frequency I had prior to Urolift. I can still go back for more fasteners, but don't want to deal with the cost involved. I do not know if health insurance would now cover Urolift. As mentioned by other posts, every man seems to have a different experience with this procedure, and results seem to vary greatly, based on each man's symptoms, age and current health at the time of the Urolift. Good luck. Bob

• Posted

Hey Bob

I to had the Urolift. It is going on 4 years still open. They do say it has a 5 year life but they really don't know. But I can tell you if I have to have more clips that would be fine with me.

I have Well Care which is a form of Medicare. They paid for the Urolift and 9 month's later they paid for the repair. All I had to is pay the Co pay for the surgery center $200

Yes the prostate still grows but all men do not have a fast growing prostate we are all different.

Take care Ken

• Posted

Yes. I had it done the first time with just a lubricant to numb things up, I feel I have a high pain tolerance but it was very painful. By the end I was just praying for it to be over. The pain pills or some type of local should help. The reasoning is it's a lot less expensive and easier to do in their clinic setting. Expect to have urgency and burning during urination for week or two, also you may be in pain for a few days after.

Just had it done a second time about a week and a half ago. The doctor was going to give me some pain pills this time, but thought he might need to do a Medlift and spend more time so it was done in a hospital outpatient setting. Put out and I didn't feel a thing, a much better experience. Also went home with a catheter for a day this time, felt good to take it out the next morning.

The first time I peed out a lot of clots afterwards and had blood in the urine for a while, this time basically no clots and blood in the urine for just the first few days. I don't know if being out and relaxed made for a better procedure and recovery or not, the first time I was definitely tensed up a lot during the procedure.

Time will tell if I have better results this time. I will post again after more time has passed to share how things are going.

• Posted

db, What was the length of time between the first and second Urolifts, and what was the reason to have the second? Thanks.

• Posted

9 months between the first and second. The first had some limited success, it cut down on the need to catheterize as much when I take rapaflow but after a few days off have a harder time peeing again (I've been taking it every other day or so because I don't like the side effects). The Urologist recommended one more try before looking into other options. I met my insurance maximum for the year so figured what the heck, I already have some pins in so what's a few more and it didn't cost me anything.

• Posted

The pain varies significantly between individuals. Get the general for the procedure. I had very little pain for the first 5 days, with a 5 day supply of tramodol. The next five weeks were hell. I'm 10 weeks out now and the pain is mostly gone. It felt like I had a kidney stone stuck. I'm still having problems with frequency and urgency, but I have not had a retention incident since the procedure (5 clips). My pain during the recovery was intense - 8 or 9 for days at a time.

• Posted

The uro will not give general only pills, so I canceled the procedure with him.

• Posted

Lew

When looking for the new Urologist that is what you will have to ask. Tell them you want the Urolift but you wand a general

Good Luck....Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.