Urologist insists I get a TURB for BPH-- Should I decline for now?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Im 58 and saw urologist at a big hospital after a cystoscopy he insists and scheduled  a TURP for me.

I haven't tried the medication therapy yet. And want to decline theTURP even though my BPH symptoms are fairly bad. This procedure seems it comes with a lot of problems including erectile dysfunction, retro grade ejaculation, and all the horrible post operative recovery one reads about. When I told him I didn't want this procedure he got angry and said I could have big complications including kidney failure. Can anyone give me any advice, please.

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Johnny, let me ask you, if you are being sold by your doctor the TRUP procedure,  have you looked up the procedure on You Tube? Watch the procedural films of an actual TRUP being preformed that are out there. It will show you what is done. When the inside of the urethra is scraped with the razor like tool and pulled out of the penis, the outer opening of the ejaculatory ducts inside the prostate are sliced across and when they heal back, they close. They will not show this part but it is what happens. This causes retrograde ejaculation. TRUP is a bloody brutal procedure and the best thing can be said about it is that it works to clear all tissue out of the urethra so you will urinate once again with no obstruction. But what about you median lobe? What about your bladder condition?

Again there are many treatments offered by urologist today. Now, the interventional radiologist also have two more less invasive treatments to consider.

I and several others chose the Focal Laser Ablation treatment. Several of us (90%) are very pleased. The best part of FLA is sexual side effects do not happen because this is a focused controlled tissue removal where the IR can see what is begin done as it is done.

I am sure most people on this forum think you should do much more research and find out why and what is causing your issue before you have a procedure.  I would encourage you to have a bladder study workup and get a 3T MRI in your area and send it to the Doctor we speak of on this forum. Let him tell you what tissue and where the problem actually is located. The right doctor can tell you about any urethra condition accurately along with correct information about retention and the bladder condition. Why are you symptoms the happening? It can be seen with a quality MRI and you can be shown the precise reasons instead of taking the word of a doctor. 

Don't let this Urologist take control of your decision. If he does not want to educate you and show you the proof of your condition, if he does not want to be part of your investigation, find someone else.

The worse part of FLA is it is out of pocket and expensive. But you are 58, and this is a life changing situation and decision you are about to make. The old rule of, you usually get what you pay for applies here. If the decision is that this  is paid for so that is what I will do is your answer, then the TRUP will probably work for you. I think you should first get educated and learn about your options completely, take your time and learn before this man is allowed to cut you up. I am sure Canada has some very good doctors. I just do not want  government fund medicine deciding how I will live my life in my later years.

We in the U.S. will not have that problem much longer as these idiots have spent so much money that very soon,  they finally will not be able to pay for anything. Means testing has already started and will penetrate every aspect of government funded programs regardless of how it was originally intended or sold in the begin.

Sorry about the rambling but something to consider. Good Luck.

• Posted

In all the time I have been a member of this forum this has been the most sustained attempt to dissuade anyone from a procedure. Johhny is not being given a chance to decide for himself he is being brainwashed.
    • Posted

Maybe I am confused, who you feel is brainwashing him? Are you stating the people on this forum who he ask in his first post to give him their opinion are brainwashing him by telling him their experiences and give the opinion he ask for?

Or are you saying the doctors the he claims he is scared to go see because they may force him into a TRUP are brainwashing him?

But regardless, he is free to chose any of the options that are out their and he should do so. Everyone has said there is a lot more information available in the many treatments for BPH.

Please expound on this for clarification.

• Posted

We all on here want the best for him.  He was not giving enough time by the doctor.  Told the procedure and had him sign papers for the surgery the same day.  It did not sink in. What is was and the side effects of it.  5 minutes here or there from a doctor does not make a good decision for him.    That is why he is on here.  I would like to know what he decided.  I wish him well and I hope he makes the right choice   Ken
    • Posted

Derek,

I don't have to agree fully, but I understand where you are coming from. That said, if you read Johnny's entire thread (make it multiple threads!!!) it's a little different here. Johnny stated right off the bat that he was a young man who wanted children and was concerned about retrograde orgasm. No one put that thought in his mind. It was HIS concern. The facts are the facts. TURP means a very good chance of retro. We all know that and that is basically what most of the men have told him. Given his age, wanting children, and overall aversion to retro, would you advise he have a TURP without exploring other alternatives?

Jim

• Posted

JJ said, I don't have to agree fully, but I understand where you are coming from.

** So many posters are repeating their same phrases time after time and in each of the many threads** 

JJ. That said, if you read Johnny's entire thread (make it multiple threads!!!) it's a little different here.

** Sorry what's a little different? Do you mean America as against Canada or the UK ? We started off not knowing where Johnny lived. I had assumed from words he used it was not America. **

JJ, Johnny stated right off the bat that he was a young man who wanted children and was concerned about retrograde orgasm. No one put that thought in his mind.

** He said that he was 58 and was late in getting around to want marriage as he had spent 10 years looking after his parents. **

JJ. It was HIS concern. The facts are the facts. TURP means a very good chance of retro. We all know that and that is basically what most of the men have told him. Given his age, wanting children, and overall aversion to retro, would you advise he have a TURP without exploring

other alternatives?

**No, after reading his original post before he had any Forum replies I PM'd him the NICE list of treatments AND warned him of the reaction he would get on this Forum to TURP. His Uro has told him that he can do TURP without causing him retro. His Uro has the advantage on us as he has seen the prostate and knows what he needs to do. There is no point in Johnny running away he must have another session to talk his situation over with his Uro now that he is more aware. I also told him that I refused TURP as far back as 1995. That does not mean it does not work. Close to home my cousin's husband had a TURP pre 1995 and did not have retro and urged me not to lose time in getting treatment.

I live in a retirement town that is also a holiday resort and meet a lot of Old Timers and conversations usually turn to our health problems. TURP in general gets a poor press but their RE is possibly caused by what their symptoms required to get them flowing again. I know one Guy whose procedure did not go well and he had two follow ups quite quickly and is now incontinent. Those who have had laser procedures in main are very pleased with them. Those who are only on medication as our ex janitor is describe their lives as 'miserable' We have the NHS trying to save money on surgery. There are even parts of the country that only do TURP and refuse patients their right to choose another Area Health Authority .

I had to fight to get my two laser procedures as I attended TURP hospitals but I never take no for a final answer.

What really gets me is that people who have not TURP consider themselves experts on its outcomes. We all know that Forums attract the ones who have had problems and many who post just repeat the failure stories they have read. Who knows how many are Trolls?   

This is going to be my only answer to my Brainwashing Statement. No point in my repeating myself to everyone. My friend Ken would probably need a 100 replies :-)

TURP outcome from medical link on this site.:::

https://patient.info/health/prostate-and-urethra-problems/prostate-gland-enlargement#nav-5

This operation nearly always gives good relief of symptoms. 80-90% of men after this operation will have retrograde ejaculation. This means that semen goes backwards into the bladder at climax producing a 'dry' orgasm. Impotence and incontinence are rare complications after a TURP.

• Posted

58 is "young" in my book and it will be when you're 71 like me! Regardless of age, Johnny said he wanted the option of having kids. Don't see what country he lives in has to do with it. Your issues with this site's responses to TURP is noted, but we're talking about what Johnny wants, not TURP in general. Let's not confuse the two. I understand you may not answer this but I'm posting because others are following the thread.

Jim

• Posted

We all want the best for John.  And I'm not a fan of the TURP procedure but I have stood by many man that have had it after years of trying other things that did not work. John has not had that the opportunity to research anything.  He was being rushed into something that he did not know. Just the 5 minute of time the doctor gave him.  That is not enough time submit to a surgery that would change his life. In one of his post he said that he has only been dealing with this a year.  He has not try any med's or seen any other doctor's.  His life was on hold to take care of his parents.  I know how he feels.  Took care of mine and my x-wife parents.  I was married with kids but it put a cloud over it. He would like to have kids.  Give him a chance to try and enjoy life. Do his research.  And I don't think were a bunch of TROLL's.  We on here have all gone through crap because of our prostates.  We should stick together and help one another  Good health to all  Ken 

• Posted

71 is young in my book as I'm 83. The surgeon who did my last laser procedure like many other UK ones wanted to me to take Avodart to prevent another procedure. I asked what was the point of the operation if I then spend the rest of my life taking a drug I would not take before it. I said at my age will it have sufficient time to regrow. He looked at his screen and said, Probably not.

I did not say that the country has anything to do with him having children. It seems that the lady is not yet in his life. His next problem may be finding one of child bearing age who then produces sons to carry on the family name and genes. Actually I have a friend In America who delayed marriage as he was looking after his father. He has struck out about five times and is now having to reassess his specifications.

• Posted

Kenneth thank you so much for all your support. You guys really help motivate me give me the courage to cancel that procedure. Don't know how much You and Jim and the other guys help me is actually amazing and I feel great about it. Without your support I was feeling pretty stamped on you guys are amazing on here

• Posted

Derek  At least he will have a chance to try.  We never know.  I just watch a show from the UK  This man married a women I think she was 35.  He is 74.  They have been married 5 years.  They have a 3 year old and a 8 week old.  He's oldest is 52 and and the youngest is 8 weeks.  He has been married 4 times.  He said that he never thought at 17 when he work on the docks unloaded the ship's that at 74 he would be having a child.  But he loves her and he said that she is a daddy's girl.  His wife is a nurse.  Boy guy's 83 & 71.  I feel young at 62.  Take care  Ken.   PS  I would like to know what he decided.  Have not heard from him today      

• Posted

That is good to hear.  Did you have any problem with the doctor.  Know it time to do your research.  PS do you have any Lady friends in mind.  Maybe online that's up to you.  Try to enjoy your life.  Ken

• Posted

Age is only a number.  But I wish I was in my 30's or 40' again.  Had no problem.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

My mother and her sisters said that they were OK until they hit 80 and then things started to go downhill. I would probably have been OK if I had not been prescribed Cipro and Fluoroquinolones for prostatitis that have caused neuropathy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.