Urologist insists I get a TURB for BPH-- Should I decline for now?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Im 58 and saw urologist at a big hospital after a cystoscopy he insists and scheduled  a TURP for me.

I haven't tried the medication therapy yet. And want to decline theTURP even though my BPH symptoms are fairly bad. This procedure seems it comes with a lot of problems including erectile dysfunction, retro grade ejaculation, and all the horrible post operative recovery one reads about. When I told him I didn't want this procedure he got angry and said I could have big complications including kidney failure. Can anyone give me any advice, please.

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Johnny you has still time  . CIC is right method  to  delay decision .  I spent  2 years within  my final decision .  Firstly I decided for PAE in Portugal  , but NOBODY said me there is poor chance with median lobe to be succesfull.  My mistakesad   Since September 2017  I consulted  a lot of doctors, patients  and knew - for  my diagnose  is suitable REZUM, or FLA.  Decided for FLA   as it has  more then  90 %  good results without side effects.  The most important  for final decision is  quality made 3T MR scan . Never  loss this chance  !!!  TRUS is not sufficient . So Flying this Sunday for FLA  procedure in Houston . Good luck for all of us, Stan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.