Uti for six weeks, cipro only antibiotic to work, symptoms come back

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have always suffered from cystitis and it takes two lots of antibiotics to clear (not sure which ones they were). Woke up beg Oct with uti symptons, 3 lots antibiotics didn't work, microscopic blood in urine, but nothing on cultures. Given Cipro, worked but uti came back 10 days after finished tablets. Major discomfort and pain in bladder, vagina and pelvic area. Nausea, burning when going to loo. referred for renal ultrasound and cystoscopy. Back on Cipro (GP reluctant but agreed as it got back me back to work after a week off), symptoms reduced but not gone. Worried about what it is and why it hasn't cleared. Any thoughts much appreciated. Hayley

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Hi Hayley

Sorry to hear you are unwell.

Please use the link above and read about Cipro. It is a Quinolone Antibiotic and can produce many damaging Adverse Reactions.

Take care

Plodding on

• Posted

Hi thanks for this - and for the info about Cipro. Im not keen on taking it but it seems to be the only thing that is working at the moment (or appears to be working) so I am going to have to carry on with it....
    • Posted

If it's the only thing that is working to clear your infection, after having tried all other antibiotics, then you obviously have no choice but to take it. At least you are aware of the risks now.

Good luck

Plodding on

• Posted

Not ideal. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I appreciate it.
    • Posted

That's ok. Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps your doctor can suggest something.

Plodding on

• Posted

My GP hadn't been very helpful though think they are a bit baffled by my symptoms. First test appt tmrw at my local hospital so will hopefully start to get some answers. Thank you again.
  • Posted

first of all don't take Cipro second of all if there is nothig in the culture it's probably not an infection I had the same case my urine sample keeps saying microscopic blood 

i just ignored it and stayed home and drinking plenty n plenty n plenty of water it washes away the bacteria and take pribiotics the refrigerated ones they are really helpful and they give u back the good bacterial balance in the gut which in turn fixes your cystitis 

get well soon 

• Posted

thanks. Unfortunately water hasnt been enough to clear it hence the cipro. My consultant thinks that I do have an infection but there are underlying reasons for it and they need to find out what they are.

Am eating probiotic yogurt but probably need to up my intake of it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.