Uti misery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just found this forum and hope you lovely ladies can advise please. I am 59 and saw the consultant this week for cystoscopy. This followed 3 vicious uti's over a 6 week period. In fact I am back in bed today with another attack. It seems I have a mild anterior pro!apse and cystitis cystica. The recommendation is long term antibiotics and short term topical oestragen. Has anyone else gone this treatment route, and has it helped? My life feels pretty miserable with these constant painful infections.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Nannylynne, I think Matron has it at the end of this thread, I too think that as your bladder is not emptying properly that the residual urine could be causing the infection. This I know seems ironic as we are told that urine is sterile, but as Matron says it is common with prolapse. Try the simple technique of 'double voiding'. You wee, rise from the toilet, do a hoola hoop several times, and wee again, this should help you to completely empty your bladder, it will be a vicious circle of infection and treatment and treatment and as you have rightly said, it is debilitating and it must be very difficult for you. Once you understand the causes and effects, you can try to modify certain things to do your best to halt the infections and get on with enjoying life again. I am pro pelvic floor exercise, so if you are able to do some pelvic floor exercises this could help your prolpase from getting worse and it is important you understand the link between the prolpase and your UTIs.

Also, Dr Mark Slack reported that if we lose 10% of our bodyweight, we can regain 50% of our pelvic floor strenghth, the pelvic floor takes all the strain, and at menopause it becomes weak because of hormone changes, so be aware of how this can affect the prolpase>UTIs too. 

Good luck, I wish you well! This forum is a mine of great information from some woderful people, we are all wiser for it (and more importantly the experiences of other women too)

S

• Posted

Hi Stephanie. Love your advice of the hoola hoop and will give it a go. I am also back to pelvic floor exercises 35 years after the birth of my 4th child! Fortunately I am a healthy weight. Many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.