UTI's after hysterectomy

Posted , 25 users are following.

Is anyone out there in post hysterectomy land suffering from recurrent UTI's since having your hysterectomy? this is something I never suffered from before but is happening now, just wondered if it is another thing us ladies have to put up with that we arent warned about beforehand. neutral

Thanks.

Phoebe

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Phoebe

No UTIs but about 4 instances of thrush. It's very annoying. 

Im thinking of writing a blog about all that has happened since my hysterectomy. Certainly plenty of things I didn't expect. 

Lee xx

• Posted

A blog would be great Lee, sorry about the Thrush that is horrible I used to get that when I was younger.

A blog would be great, we could all join in and then women who aren't warned about these things by professionals could at least learn from ladies who have been there, I have been so lucky really this is just annoying especially after almost 2 years.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Phoebe

i am 15 months post op. I'm scared to mention here about some of my problems as I don't want to scare anyone going in for a hysterectomy. But I wish someone had told me more about the after effects before I had mine xx

• Posted

Poppy I would like to know about your problems if you woudn't mind sending a personal message, just in case they are the same as mine, take care

• Posted

Even things such as UTI's and Thrush, it would have been good to know then you dont worry so much, I was a stage 1 Cancer and when you suddenly pass a little blood 2 years afterwards then it's a bit of a concern, ok I know it's cystitis but it might not have been, I have done a bit of detective work and apparently some women even after 7 or 8 years are still having these types of problems, I was lucky in as much as I didnt experience any pain immediately post op and since, I'm just getting annoying things like needing to pee every 2 seconds (seems like it anyway). What fun.

• Posted

Mine is in 4 days, what types of after effects are there
    • Posted

Thrush in the vagina?  Is that different then yeast infection?
  • Posted

Hi, Think I must be very lucky I'm one yr post op smile and haven't had one single problem. Sorry to hear you've had problems hope your soon feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Marie glad you are doing OK, I am almost 2 years post op and was doing great, these UTI's have only started in the last few months, oh well I suppose these things are sent to try us. smile

Phoebe.

• Posted

Quite recently somebody on here was asking about whether she should have hysterectomy & I was brave enough to say that it sure as hell doesn't always come without a whole raft of other problems. It might end period misery but I have heard many many other problems that weren't there before cropping up. Some of which you guys state above. I thought I would get shot down on here. But being diagnosed with cancer leaves you no other option. The woman asking on here was 47 & to me it sounded like she had endometriosis but also appeared nobody had investigated her for that. My Gynae (he was Head Of Medical Council for NZ at the time)10yrs ago advised me it was better to manage & treat endo & make it to menopause, retaining all those bits if possible. But there still seems to be a quick fix attitude to believing hysterectomy solves everything. Ok sometimes girls are lucky enough that it does, but loads have sometimes worse issues than prior & wish for those issues back, rather than what they've ended up with. I've got to 57, last 2 periods were 6mths apart during the year I was 50, & of course my endo & its associated probs are all in the past & Ive retained all my bits. I'm past menopause now & are good. Success from hysterectomy is hit and miss.

• Posted

Hi Robyn, I am glad you are feeling good and I do hope it stays that way, I first had period problems when I was 45 I had periods lasting well over a month at a time, I went for tests and it turned out I had polyps, I went through menopause at 48 and sailed through it, no hot flushes or anything like that, my friends were all really suffering (and hated me lol) it was bliss not bleeding anymore....................then all went pear shaped 15 years later when I started spotting, like an idiot I ignored it until I almost bled to death when I was 61, I was lucky the cancer hadn't progressed any further than it had.

Good to hear from you, it's great talking to ladies from all over the world, I'm in UK.

Phoebe

Listen to your bodies ladies and even if you have very minor spotting go to your GP get checked out don't leave things like I did.

• Posted

Well said Robyn, I couldn't agree with you more. I had a hysto because of prolapsed womb but now have no orgasm, vagina is prolapsing and regular cystitis. 

• Posted

YES YES YES Phoebe - ANY post menopausal bleeding needs investigating! Cause it was second time, I was investigated. I had that a year ago which led me to have a hysteroscopy & found out that I did have A & P prolapses as I asked Urogynae "while we're here on all that goes on down there, what are the bulges?"!!! So then had anterior repair Oct. I'm so pleased that you still had time to jump on what was going on with yours. Phew

• Posted

It wasn't the prolapses causing my bleeding. It was nothing serious.

• Posted

"I was brave enough to say that it sure as hell doesn't always come without a whole raft of other problems. It might end period misery but I have heard many many other problems that weren't there before cropping up.... Ok sometimes girls are lucky enough that it does, but loads have sometimes worse issues than prior & wish for those issues back, rather than what they've ended up with."

SO true - the "cure" is usually much worse than the "disease" as far as hysterectomy is concerned!!

I am SO happy to hear that you had one of the "good" gynecologists who doesn't just rip out our organs but instead treats in a restorative manner.

My whole life fell apart after my organs were unnecessarily removed by a gynecologist I had respected for decades. sad

• Posted

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  I  had  a subtotal hysterectomy with  bladder prolapse surgery and i have had 2 utis and 1 bacterial vagonosis along with leaking.  This has all been in 3 weeks.  I was told it was possible to have incontinence after the prolapse and bladder surgery but was told the procedure for that just cant’ automatically be done bc of whatever they checked to determine if I leaked before surgery.  I thought I was a well informed consumer and read a lot but had no idea I would be fighting all these things and have already told the doctor they should have hand outs for woman on things they should look for and be aware of after surgery.  Don’t think he appreciate my candor.  I feel like men were having their testicals and penis’ removed, maybe better communication would be the standard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.