UTI's after hysterectomy

Posted , 25 users are following.

Is anyone out there in post hysterectomy land suffering from recurrent UTI's since having your hysterectomy? this is something I never suffered from before but is happening now, just wondered if it is another thing us ladies have to put up with that we arent warned about beforehand. neutral

Thanks.

Phoebe

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Phoebe,

Could it be possible of bladder prolapse or seated on top of vagina? This is my guess as with so many severed ligament or nerve injury done during hyterectomy operation, possibilities is high especially over the long run post-op. Perhaps could ask doctor on Kegel exercise?

Hope you have your UTI problem solve soon.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Sue, Prolapse was the first thing I thought of, I can't feel anything though, I have actually just spoken to my sister who had her hysterectomy done about 40 years ago and although she hadn't  put the 2 things together, she has had 1 UTI after the other ever since not so close together but.............makes you wonder.

• Posted

I'm SO pleased now that that Gynae I was seeing 10yrs ago advised me that they were starting to realise there were loads of long term problems after hysterectomy that were worse than the reason for the hysterectomy. For some girls, there isn't an option to not have hysterectomy, but for me if there is a question "shall I, shan't I?" then I try & advise that there are new problems that might occur from the trauma of hysterectomy that need considering. Other thing is, were some of these new problems going to occur even if you hadn't had hysterectomy. That you will never quite know.

• Posted

I have a friend who's been suffering with various infections ever since her hysterectomy 2+ years ago. She never had these before the surgery. Hospitals and surgery centers are breeding grounds for infections plus the use of catheters increases risk of infections. Hope you can get this resolved without too many antibiotics which aren't good either.

• Posted

I have been taking D-Mannose, Probiotics and Cranberry tablets to try and keep it at bay as I don't want too many antibiotics, so far so good on that front, my GP who is brilliant as a rule doesn't think there is any connection with the hysterectomy though...........I'm not convinced.

• Posted

I am having the same problem and this is two years

Post hysterectomy. It's been miserable two years.

Azo products help, but I wonder if I should be using them as often as I do?

Mary Ann

• Posted

Just recently 6(weeks) had mine also due to prolapse womb and bladder. Not feeling remotely interested in sex and I've now also got a UTI😧. Really hoping that my sex drive comes back not to mention the ogasims.

• Posted

I am 2 years post hysterectomy I had over 15 uti's 1 st year now I am experiencing pain as bad as labor. There is something trying to come out of my vagina. My primary doctor tells me it's all in my head well fast forward 2 different doctors there is something coming out my bladder and my vagina add on hemmorriods (probably spelled wrong but you know). My insides are falling out!!! I have 2 have 2 more surgeries or i will die. The uti may not be a uti it may be yr vagina cavity that is giving off bacteria causing the infection. It sad that the medical field will tell you anything to get you out their office. I wish you the best of health along with the other woman that are suffering.

• Posted

I suffered frequent uti's before my hysterctomy on 27th march this year. Ive had 3 more and now live with the feeling of one every day due to my ovaries being removed. Whilst im glad i had the op due to major problems last few years i was warned of early menopause etc. Sadly no one warned me about the effects of no oestrogen and vaginal dryness. To say im uncomfortable is putting it mildly ive now had to agree to a possible higher risk of breast cancer to have cream. I'm also taking omega 7, pessaries its helped but im now a different person due to it.

• Posted

Phoebe, I went searching on the Internet for frequent UTI''s after hysterectomy & it brought me to you. I had my hysterectomy May 25th, 2016 , I got a Kidney infection after surgery, but that was from them giving me Tylenol 3 which I quit taking 24 hours after surgery. I haveven been struggling with Uti's ever since , having to take antibiotic's 2 times now . I also keep having occasional slight bleeding from granulation tissue. It's September 2017 and I'm going back to Gynecologist for 3 times on Uti's & 3 rd time Grandulation tissue. I'm not sure how far you all have gotten with your Blog but I would like to participate. Have you found any help for us all by chance.

• Posted

Phoebe, I went searching on the Internet for frequent UTI''s after hysterectomy & it brought me to you. I had my hysterectomy May 25th, 2016 , I got a Kidney infection after surgery, but that was from them giving me Tylenol 3 which I quit taking 24 hours after surgery. I have been struggling with Uti's ever since , having to take antibiotic's 2 times now . I also keep having occasional slight bleeding from granulation tissue. It's September 2017 and I'm going back to Gynecologist for 3 times on Uti's & 3 rd time Grandulation tissue. I'm not sure how far you all have gotten with your Blog but I would like to participate. Have you found any help for us all by chance.

• Posted

Hi Sharon and welcome, I am almost at 3 years post hysterectomy (December) and still suffering a bit though I have to say that (touch wood) I am clear at the moment, I only ever had 1 uti before my op and that was when I was about 8 months pregnant with my first son, he is now 41! Yikes!! eek. My GP says that since having the hysterectomy estrogen levels have dropped and that this is a big contributor to UTI's, I can't have estrogen cream etc as I had cancer and my sister also had estrogen dependent breast cancer so I have to be careful, up until recently I had been on antibiotics about 4 times, I have got some in my cupboard now for just in case.

Phoebe

• Posted

I don't have an answer for you.

But thank you for answering my question. I was suppose to get a hysterectomy , but chickened out last munute . only cause of high levels of HPV. But then I was thinking had I went through with it I might not be getting theses painful UTI's every 2 months, my symptoms are only burning back. But there very painful.

So if you still get them too glad I decided not to go through with it.

• Posted

I am 12 weeks post op and i am 38... i have had 4 kidney infections since my hysterectomy. Today ive been back to doctor and back on antibiotic again.. Everything else has been fine but ive been on 7 antibiotics can anyone shine a light on this please id love to hear some one else having this too!! I am so tired and deflated ??

• Posted

Blimey this seems so common. I'm 43 and 5 months post op. Googled this too as I've just got a horrible smell so pretty sure it's a urine infection. Also feel very tired. Shocking how many women have similar stories.

I have also had a little bit of leakage, was thinking it was maybe because I haven't been doing all the pelvic floor exercises I should've, so frantically doing them now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.