UTI's after hysterectomy

Posted , 25 users are following.

Is anyone out there in post hysterectomy land suffering from recurrent UTI's since having your hysterectomy? this is something I never suffered from before but is happening now, just wondered if it is another thing us ladies have to put up with that we arent warned about beforehand. neutral

Thanks.

Phoebe

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Blimey this seems so common. I'm 43 and 5 months post op. Googled this too as I've just got a horrible smell so pretty sure it's a urine infection. Also feel very tired. Shocking how many women have similar stories.

Even though your post was 2 years ago, there are still people finding you now seeking answers.

• Posted

Had my surgery on 1/2/18 and a week later had my first UTI infection. Yesterday 3/10/18 expericing abdominal pain in the morning just like the first sign of an infection and woke up today to the same feeling. I had the flu and also a bad cough for the last two weeks. Dr gave me some antibiotic for the throat infection.I just been so sick since the surgery. I just can't believe I'm expericing another UTI infection

• Posted

Yes and I have had a full hesterectomy and get back to back UTI.  I have never experienced this before and my lower back hurts so bad I cannot stand long.
  • Posted

Hi i am 10 days post op and finding i am needing to go to the toilet quite often but its only a trickle and have a heavy sensation/pain whilst trying to go, i to searched for uti after hysterectomy and it brought me here.
    • Posted

I had that too post op by around the same time but I had an infection and blood mass. Started off mild pain when weeing, and got worse and worse. Ask for some blood tests to check for infection.
    • Posted

OMG I had a RA hysterectomy 7 days ago, 5 days post op back at ER with excruciating pain.  Undergone every test...X-rays, 10 vials of blood, ekg, CT scan, ultrasound to Find out, UTI, stinky vaginal discharge,  enlarged Spleen and cyst on ovary.  Now my post op follow up is in 2 days  instead of closer to 2 weeks out.  I didn't sign up for this    I had never had a UTI before....never want another, however, reading this blog more to come    I cannot take it    It's the worst pain...I'd deliver 5 more babies before this pain   Ugh   

• Posted

please get to the fastest doctor and be tested for possible UTI, if it comes back negative get checked for bacterial vaginosis, We have to be our own best advocate, they do not warn us or tell us to check for these things. I had 4 UTI'S in the matter of 6 months. I had mesh used for my bladder prolapse and I believe it harbors bacteria and so far the only thing that has been effective is Hiprex coupled with vitamin C twice a day. You have to have a certain amount of infections within 6 mos to 1year to be treated prophalactically. If you urogynecologist or gynecologist is not helping you to to a urologist.Best of luck.

• Posted

YES!!! I thought I was the only one having this issue! WhyWhyWhy!!! OMG its terrible ...I do everything the right way that we are supposed to as women after goingt ot he bathroom etc. Anyone have suggestions on anything to help us through this or why we are having this? essential oils help anyone??

• Posted

Yes! I had the DaVinci LAVH in October 2018 after a failed endo ablation (2011) and I will have a urology consult tomorrow. Prior to the LAVH, I had constant bladder pressure and recurring UTIs and kidney infections. OB/GYN found that my uterus was expanding due to trapped menstrual blood and pushing into my bladder. It is now August 2019 and although I don't have the same amount of pressure once felt, I am still having what appears to be UTIs. My last GP visit though, no bacterial growth, but trace blood and ketones found in urine. GP doesn't think it's stones, and is at a loss, hence the urology visit. It just dawned on me, could my current issues be the result of the robotic LAVH? BTW, I hope you are better now. Curious to know since your posted your concern 3 years ago...

• Posted

it has been 14 months since my hysterectomy which also was performed laparoscopic and bladder prolapse surgery. I ended up with recurrent utis also ,and at times no UT i's but feeling like I had one I am on HIPREX which you take with vitamin C which is an iantiseptic antibiotic that goes into the bladder to stop bacteria from growing and since I've been on it I've had no UT i's. Possibly your bladder was affected in you have overactive bladder I also went on myrbetriq nd that has helped tremendously with the pelvic pain I was having along with seeing a pelvic for therapist. His direct them ease bladder prolapse surgery not an easy thing to recover from.

• Posted

it has been 14 months since my hysterectomy which also was performed laparoscopic and bladder prolapse surgery. I ended up with recurrent utis also ,and at times no UT i's but feeling like I had one I am on HIPREX which you take with vitamin C which is an iantiseptic antibiotic that goes into the bladder to stop bacteria from growing and since I've been on it I've had no UT i's. Possibly your bladder was affected in you have overactive bladder I also went on myrbetriq nd that has helped tremendously with the pelvic pain I was having along with seeing a pelvic for therapist. His direct them ease bladder prolapse surgery not an easy thing to recover from.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.