UTI’s in meno

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi does anyone experience frequent UTI’s since peri? I keep getting them every few months , any suggestions ??

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You must do whats right for you . ..took me a long time to decide but have at long last got it right smile
  • Posted

I would in fact recommend taking the D-Mannose every day.  It *really* helps.  If you think you are starting to get UTI or cystitis symptoms you can take it a few times a day.  I actually read somewhere it can be especially helpful to take it in the middle of the night, and since I always get up once to pee, I just take it then (I leave a little cup with 1 t of it mixed with a tiny amount of water in the bathroom).  But I am sure that is not necessary.  The idea is it can help if you take it and then don’t drink much water for a little while right afterward.  That helps it adhere to bacteria in bladder.  It tastes like sugar water (but has no effect on blood sugar).  Worth a try!
    • Posted

Jen thanks for the advice is there any particular brand or do they all do same thing?
  • Posted

You can get cranberry pills at the Vitamin Shoppe. I take two a day. Knock on wood, they seem to be working.

• Posted

The problem with cranberry is that it is very acidic and can thus cause more irritation.  D-mannose is actually the ingredient in cranberry that promotes the healing (it adheres to bacteria in the bladder and allows it to be flushed out), without the acid or other components of the berry.  I recommend NOW brand.  But it is very important to refrigerate it, which they don’t tell you.
    • Posted

Thanks for advice I’ve found out it’s cystitis I’ve got so ordered sine d-mannose - here’s hoping it works for me!
  • Posted

I had a strep B UTI for 2 1/2 years after menopause ended. I would take amoxicillin and it would go down but it kept coming back The doctors were afraid to give me penicillin because I reacted to Augmentin. Eventually I finally found this really nice urologist who told me let's just see. I took penicillin for 2 weeks until it was too hard on my stomach. I haven't had the UTI come back. I'm not a big fan of antibiotics unless it is very necessary because it messes with the good bacteria. UTIs can be directly related to hormone loss because lack of estrogen. 

• Posted

I’m also thinking it’s related to lack of oestrogen since my blood results were all ok including kidney function, urine sample showed blood but no infection. It’s just that there’s always a small niggle that it could be something more serious.i really feel for everyone on this site going through all our health issues when we all just want to feel normal again.
    • Posted

just to let you know you were spot on with your diagnosis! I went to the out of hours dr at hospital and immediately I told her my symptoms she said it’s cystitis caused by lack of oestrogen  with no sign of infection, still got it but my mind is at rest now I know the cause. Thanks for your good advice x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.