Vagifem and Gynest

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

My dermatologist suggested I use Gynest instead of Vagifem, and when I went to collect my prescription I was told Gynest is discontinued so they gave me Estriol instead. Is this just as good as Vagifem? I have not used it yet, or is it a cheap alternative which is common practice with some surgeries. Any advice or comments appreciated

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi 

i use estriol... Whats the name of yours Ovestin ? 

Jay x

• Posted

Vagifem is the strongest estrogen .. ( estradiol ) 

Gynest and Ovestin is Estriol the kinder ( they say) the weaker of the three estrogens

jayx 

• Posted

Mine just says Estriol on the box!! and the strength which I think was quite low, the same as Vagifem.
    • Posted

Info i found a little while ago, may be of interest to some 

There are three major naturally occurring estrogens in women.

These are:

are estrone (E1)

estradiol (E2)

estriol (E3)

Of these Estradiol (E2) is the most common form found in nonpregnant females. Estradiol levels vary through the menstrual cycle, with levels highest just before ovulation. From menarche to menopause the primary estrogen is 17β-estradiol.

After the reproductive age, when a woman has achieved menopause, estrone or E1 becomes that primary estrogen.

Estrone is weaker than estradiol.

Similarly during pregnancy estriol is the primary estrogen. Estriol is considered a weak estrogen as well.

It has been postulated that estrone is a “bad” estrogen and may be the cause of estrogen’s cancer-causing properties, while estriol is a “good” estrogen and may protect against cancer.

Estradiol is probably neutral. There is no definite scientific evidence to prove this hypothesis however. 

• Posted

I use both vagifem and gynest twice a week

At the moment not to bad, I've also got clobaderm (which I cannot use too often)

And aqueous cream lots. I am comfortable at the moment

• Posted

I've used both GYNEST and Vagifem and neither have worked. I have been very sore since last summer. Also, I don't know about anyone else but I feel like I want to wee all the time, even after I have just been! Last time I saw doc she arranged a bladder ultra sound for me just to make sure nothing is wrong there. Anyway the result was that they found "Pouches" in my kidney which can give me similar symptoms to the vaginal atrophy ones. Doc asked if I wanted to see a Urologist but said I would see how I got on with the Vagifem first. Not worked. Fed up. Fed up. Fed up!! So I'm going to make another appointment with the doctor.
    • Posted

I feel for you, after last couple months mostly sore. It's just so-Frustrating seems never ending.
    • Posted

hi shirley

i use ovestinon vaginal ovules ( ovestin in uk) they are lovely to use, soothing, also ovestin cream for the outer bits keep skin plump.

recommended by my gyno ..

i dont live in uk, but ovestin vaginal ovules are lovely.. ( estriol) 

jay 

• Posted

Shirley hi!

I seriously would ask your doctor to prescribed Triamcinolone Ointment. It works wonders!!!!!

Experiencing and dealing with Atrophic Vaginitis (which I knew nothing about and had never heard of) I was so dry and itched so bad that the thought of having a grill brush cleaner to scratch would relieve the itch (Oh my God). I don't know what I would have done if not for Triamcinolone Ointment. Make sure it's the ointment and not the cream as the cream doesn't relieve like the ointment. And the oinment is not really messy or greasy.

I hope this helps and wish you the best. smile

• Posted

Hi Shirley,

I am wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem of the estrogen creams not working. I have the problem of having to wee all the time from vaginal atrophy, but I cannot tolerate the creams. I have had one Mona Lisa Touch treatment (last week) in hopes that it will cure my urgency and vaginal problems, but it is too soon to tell. I'd be delighted to hear what your experience has been in the years since you posted this comment. 

• Posted

Hi can you tell me if you are in the UK I had my first ML Treatment last week and I am interested to keep in touch with you to compare progress, as there seems to be both negative and positive comments about the ML treatments, I had it done in the hope of discontinuing any form of HRT. I am also looking into the different forms of HRT as estriol seems to be the safer option, I noticed many women on these forums using estriol, so have been looking in to that aspect too.  It seems that this problem means that the sufferer has to carry out all their own research, as little has been offered to me from the medical profession, it is like a self diagnosis situation not sure if you feel the same.
  • Posted

I was prescribed estriol three weeks ago, to use every night for two weeks and then twice a week. What a difference, now sex is fully possible again and i feel like a woman once more. Hope this continues.
    • Posted

Hi Lynne

Helps me too, ovestin estriol ovules, what a difference, wouldnt be without it. ☺️

Good luck with it

Jay xx

• Posted

Can't get these anymore, pharmacist told me they've been discontinued, is that your experience?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.