Vagifem and vaginal tingling

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a significant degrees of vaginal atrophy when I went to see gynaecologist in February last year complaining of vulval soreness, dryness and continual need to pass urine. I was prescribed Vagifem for three months and then all was well.  In August last year my symptoms returned, I had another course of Vagifem and was prescribed Betovate RD cream to use at night for one month to help the soreness and then all was well again. However for the last two weeks I have had a really sore vulva and burning vulva,  I have started the Vagifem again 5 days ago but I am really worried it is doing something awful to my insides as I have a tingling sensation inside my vaginal and my vulva is really sore and burning despite using the Betnovate cream. Has anyone else had tingling after using Vagifem, it is really worrying and driving me mad.  Thanks for you help.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn

i too have Atrophic Vaginitis.  I have been on Vagifem for a couple of years now and has been a blessing as my symptoms were like yours.  I think your problem is that once you go off the Vagifem your discomfort starts again.  Whenever I am late in taking my Vagifem I start to feel the discomfort again......my GYN doctors said that I will have to stay with using the Vagifem for life.  I am 66 now.  I use the Vagifem 2x per week.  I don't know if you may have to continue on the Vagifem as well or maybe you can try more natural way to help the vagina area.  Sometimes on rare occasions I may use Estrace cream on the outside.  Are you menapausal? Vagifem has given me quality of life.  Please keep us posted.  We are all here for each other.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Many thanks for your reply.  I forgot to say I am 64 and menopausal. I didn't realise you could stay on Vagifem for long periods.  Have you experienced any tingling or other worrying symptoms?

• Posted

Hi Lynn I was diagnosed with VA a couple of weeks ago I had such pain and discomfort I really thought life as I new it was over . I did yoga zumba weights but suddenly could do none of it. My Dr has put me on astriol cream 11 days ago and I feel so much better but I still get shooting pains down my Virginia on and off but it's very early days and so far very pleased with results. I think the cream is also for life I don't think coming off it all the time is doing you any good . I hope you get it sorted us poor women get it all don't we. After I had got through the menopause I thought that was it worst is over now enjoy life with my lovely hubby and for a few years great then almost overnight I got this . I had me at heard of it but this site has really helped and the ladies are lovely. Good luck

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply Angie. Like you I was looking forward to life after the menopause and was fine for several years before I got VA and then things went downhill.  I really hope the cream is helpful. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Lynn it isn't nice I am 65 the kids left home and all was great till last oct got one uti after the other my Dr is very good and have started to feel a little better or dry or flappy excuse that please it's the only way to describe it. I just wish the stabbing would stop now . I am impatient

• Posted

I wonder how many doctors understand how we feel? We  do have a female GP but she is half my age? Take care
    • Posted

I have to say my do for has been really good and understanding but all in all I think it is a very scary thing to have. I have seen people saying the more sex you have either with partner or yourself the better as it makes the blood flow which is fine as long as your not crying with pain it tends to put my lovely hubby off.
    • Posted

My hubby is very understanding but at the moment making love is a definitely no no. Take care and keep in touch
    • Posted

My urogyno is younger than my daughters.  She may have some knowledge of the burning and pain from atrophy, but feeling it? - I highly doubt it.  My former gyno who retired understood exactly 
  • Posted

Yes Lynn...I agree with Angie.  I think going off and on is not good.  Your Vaginal area is needing some estrogen and gets it from the Vagifem so when you go off it the vaginal walls starve and will dry causing discomfort.  May we ask how old are you? Years ago my doctor told me I had Atrophic Vaginitis and prescribed Vagifem......since I had no discomfort I did not use the Vagifem until I started to get UTI's then sometimes it felt like UTI but wasn't....turned out it was beginning discomfort fro

• Posted

Sorry.....i could not finish.  I then realized The discomfort was due to AV.....needless to say I have been with Vagifem ever since then.  I don't like to use meds but the is has given me quality of life back!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Wendy. I also had recurrent symptoms of UTI's, sometimes there was an infection and sometimes non visible blood in my urine. I had a cystoscopy last year to rule out a bladder problem and was put on a low dose antibiotic to take long-term and since then my urine tests have been crystal clear. Long term antiobiotics and probably long term Vagifem - this getting old (64) is very trying and no fun! Take care.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

after the bladder test did the doctors find any issues? Did they say why you have to take antibiotics long term??  After I was on Vagifem for couple of months the UTIs stopped.  I don't know if that will be the same for you but thought I would mention that.  Drink lots of water and empty your bladder more often.  Concerning intimacy........my poor husband as we have not had intercourse in a very long time.  Due to the pain and discomfort that has been missing from our intimacy........and yes, I

• Posted

Hi Lynn........sorry I did not finish as my computer keeps freezing up so I can't finish so I just had to send.  My doctor did mention that intercourse may be good to build up tissue in vagina.....however I'm afraid as the pain was awful. ....I may try again in the future.  I am greatful for an understanding patient husband

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.