Vagifem and vaginal tingling

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a significant degrees of vaginal atrophy when I went to see gynaecologist in February last year complaining of vulval soreness, dryness and continual need to pass urine. I was prescribed Vagifem for three months and then all was well.  In August last year my symptoms returned, I had another course of Vagifem and was prescribed Betovate RD cream to use at night for one month to help the soreness and then all was well again. However for the last two weeks I have had a really sore vulva and burning vulva,  I have started the Vagifem again 5 days ago but I am really worried it is doing something awful to my insides as I have a tingling sensation inside my vaginal and my vulva is really sore and burning despite using the Betnovate cream. Has anyone else had tingling after using Vagifem, it is really worrying and driving me mad.  Thanks for you help.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I’ve been suffering from vaginal atrophy for 7 years off and on. I’ve had months and months of nothing - and then this past June it started again - really bad. 

I was using vagufem  then tried 2 different compound hormone creams. Nothing helped. I now use estrogyn which is estrone 3x week. Doesn’t help 

My Gyno said I have LS because of architecture changes and I used clobetasol for 6 weeks. Didn’t help either. I tested positive for yeast last week now dr says she’s not convinced it’s LS. So now I know why my head is spinning. I can’t get a proper answer 

I’m going back Thursday to see her one last chance 

I dudnt get tingling from vagifem. But I noticed sometimes the tablet fell out. Don’t ask me how!  

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you are really suffering. Hope your doctor can prescribe something else to help you. Take care and keep on touch.
    • Posted

Thanks Lynn. This is not an easy thing to “fix”
    • Posted

Arlee

Did you give Vagifem a chance....enough time?  It took me weeks for the Vagifem to really work......then I have been able to have quality of life.  Some ladies don't give it enough time for it to start working and stop too soon.

• Posted

As mentioned....most of us have to stay on Vagifem for life....we cannot go off it or discomfort will start all over again.  We cannot stop and start back and forth.

sure wish we did not have to go through AV!!

• Posted

On long-term antiobiotics to prevent recurrent UTI's also on Mirabegron for overactive bladder,  Gynaecologist knows I am taking these but still prescribed Vagifem although he did say only for three months. Going to see GP on Wednesday to discuss long term Vagifem. Take care and keep in touch.

• Posted

Wendy. I was using vagifem religiously  but there were days that I noticed the tablet had fallen out!  I thought I inserted it high enough but obviously I didn’t. Now I’m using a cream that I insert. Not helping   I’ve tried so many creams including compounded ones 
    • Posted

Hi I have been using astriol for 13 days now things seem yo be getting a little better the cramps have stopped the stabbing pains are only now and then and not so cringing powerful still have a it of urge incontinence. But on the whole I feel hopeful I have heard a lot of ladies say that vagifem helps much more for the urge and the cream for the outside. But I will wait and see how it goes. I hope you all start to feel on top of it soon
    • Posted

Pleased you are feeling better, hope the improvement continues. Take care and keep in touch.
    • Posted

Hi Arlee

are you inserting the Vagifem tablets at night before you go to bed?  That is when I do....yes make sure you get it up there so it won't fall out...just be gentle going in.  Estrace cream works best for me.  I started with Estrace cream first for 14 days then stopped and started the Vagifem.  Only need to use the Estrace cream if I feel some discomfort down there but that is rare now.

• Posted

Arlee......hi again I just sent a blog to you but needed to share that the only time I need to use Estrace cream now is on the outside if I feel any discomfort but the Vagifem works so well for me.  

I wish you the best!

• Posted

Hi Wendy could you yell me how long it was before you felt normal again . I think I will ask for vagifem for inside a lot of ladies seem to have better results with that for the urge toilet
    • Posted

Yes Angie

vagifem works the best for me too inside for the discomfort with Atrophic Vaginitis.  After I used Estrace cream internally for the 14 days I still had some discomfort then my GYN had me start the Vagifem and stop the Estrace.  I would say it took a few weeks of the Vagifem to really feel normal again and to get quality of life back.  No more discomfort and no more feeling like I was getting UTI.  Some ladies require 3x weekly or more

• Posted

Thanks Wendy I am seeing the Dr next week I will get him to prescribe the vagifem too . Looking forward to feeling normal again . The astriol has helped a lot but I think the vagifem will really sort it .
    • Posted

My GYN started me on Vagifem 2x weekly and have been able to stay on that for the past 2 years.  Just had check up and doctor said all looks good so will continue the 2x weekly
    • Posted

Sorry to trouble you Wendy.

I had a course of Vagifem in September - 1 each night for two weeks which helped and no side effects. The symptoms have now returned and my doctor has prescribed Vagifem again, 1 each night for two weeks and then twice a week, she was very vague on how long it can carry on with Vagifem.

I told the doctor that I am getting some tummy pain and vaginal tingling but she didn't seem bothered - she said all medication has side effects.  Have you had any side effects WENDY and what did your check-up entail as I have not been asked to gave a check-up.

Sorry for all the questions.

Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

i have had no side effects on Vagifem.  I do know from experience that if I stop with Vagifem I will feel the discomfort again....that is when I realized that the doctor was right that I will have to be on it for life.  Each doctor treats AV differently.  All I know for me is that the 14 days of Estrace cream then stopping it and then starting the Vagifem 2x weekly has given me quality of life.  I have a dear friend in the U.K. That  needs to take Vagifem 5x week......we are all different, but I would start at 2x week to see how you do....it may take a couple to few weeks for you to feel normal again.  All I know is that for me the Vagifem has been a blessing...otherwise I would feel like I had a UTI each day as I felt before I started Vagifem. I think using the Estrace cream internally  for the 14 days before the Vagifem was a help.

i hope this helps...we are all here for each other.  I am 66.

Have a nice day Lynn!

Wendy

• Posted

Think you are probably right WENDY - Vagifem for life but I do stress about serious the side effects it can have.

Sounds like you have got a good doctor as mine has not mentioned having any check-ups which also concerns me.

I am 64 and live in England.

Thanks for your advice and take care.

lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn

My appointment was just a yearly checkup..once a year.  If I have issues then I can make another appointment.  Yes, he is a very good doctor here in the states I feel very fortunate.  Unfortunately us ladies do not have any other options for AV.  There is Mona Lisa Treatments but too new and mixed reviews..also it is not covered by insurance and is extremely expensive.  Some ladies still need the Vagifem as well as the ML treatments.  I'm just going to wait and see the long term effects of t.he Mona Lisa treatments and hopefully by that time the insurance companies will cover it.

have a nice day!🌷

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.