Vagifem and vaginal tingling

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a significant degrees of vaginal atrophy when I went to see gynaecologist in February last year complaining of vulval soreness, dryness and continual need to pass urine. I was prescribed Vagifem for three months and then all was well.  In August last year my symptoms returned, I had another course of Vagifem and was prescribed Betovate RD cream to use at night for one month to help the soreness and then all was well again. However for the last two weeks I have had a really sore vulva and burning vulva,  I have started the Vagifem again 5 days ago but I am really worried it is doing something awful to my insides as I have a tingling sensation inside my vaginal and my vulva is really sore and burning despite using the Betnovate cream. Has anyone else had tingling after using Vagifem, it is really worrying and driving me mad.  Thanks for you help.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was also diagnosed with Atrophic Vaginitis. My gynecologist put me on half a Gram of Estrace cream nightly for 1 week, then twice weekly. When I first started it a week ago, it seemed to be giving me some relief. Now that I'm using it twice a week the burning is back with a vengeance. Is it suppose to take time for it to work?

• Posted

I have read on lots of places you can put the cream in 3 times a week so that is what I will do
    • Posted

I think it takes a while using Estrace for it to replenish the tissue.  I've heard as long as 6 months.  I do my application 3x a week.

I would like to ask why the majority of people here are using Vagifem instead of Estrace.   I use Estrace using the fingertip application method.  I insert some inside and some outside with the finger (not plunger).  This was recommended to me by my Urologist.  I certainly believe the Estrace was the primary reason my UTI's stopped.

I get the burning off and on still.  There is no rhyme or reason for it that I can see.

Does (or did) anyone here have a slight pale yellow discharge as a result of the AV?

• Posted

Hi maralee I have been on astriol which has made a world of difference I use the plunger and put some on my vulva I do get a yellow discharge. I am due to see the Dr on Fri in reference to what I think is a prolapse and I am going to ask him if I can have the vagifem instead as there is less leakage and keep the cream for the outside . Apart from that I don't think there is much difference between the two.

• Posted

Hi Angie

Yes with Vagifem it is easier as it is with a tablet that is inserted at bedtime and there is no mess.  I am just so relieved that it gives me quality of life and able to feel "normal" again.  Just every now and then I may use the Estrace on the outside.

• Posted

I used Vagifem many years ago when I was having some issues.  I don't remember how I reacted, but it is my next step for where I am now.

I have been using the Premarin and/or Estrace cream.  Both of these products are causing weird sensitivity in the vulva area for me.  Not overly pleasant. I wouldn't call it tingling but it borders on itching and then when I'm using the cream, I find that wearing jeans is uncomfortable (and I've never had that problem before).  I am not using the creams in the vagina, like you can do, but I am putting them in the vulval area.  

There is some concern that I may be reacting to the base and not the estrogen.  So I've visited a compounding pharmacy and they've given me some of their base cream to try.  Then I will have some estrogen cream made with it.  If that doesn't work, I am on to the Vagifem.

There have been some people who have had swelling and irritation with it.  I'm just not sure if it's the body's reaction to having hormones there all of a sudden or if it's just a sensitivity to ingredients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.