Vaginal Atrophy. When will it go away

Posted , 20 users are following.

Started out as burning then went to feeling like I was sitting on sandpaper now it is just miserable discomfort.  Occasionally lightens up but never goes away.  Been using Premarin cream  for a few months.  Feeling very discouraged.  Can not live like this forever.  Anyone have any thoughts?

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There are lots of different treatments available so you could ask your doctor to consider changing your cream or prescribe Vagifem pessaries if appropriate. Don’t wash down below with soap and avoid bubble bath etc. Make sure you drink plenty water so your urine does not become too concentrated and sting your delicate areas. You could also ask your doctor to prescribed a vaginal moisturiser like Replens or Yes to use in conjunction with hormone cream or pessaries.

It really is trial and error to find what is best for you.

Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi Fern I have the same thing so I bough from the chemist and  tried Bepathone baby nappy cream after a few days I was fine It can be used on tiny babies . I have to keep using it or the itching then soreness comes back . My doctor told me it was ok to use . I was offered low dose hormone cream but was reluctant to use it 
  • Posted

Ihave vagifem given tome by my family doctor I am wondering if you are nervous to use it or not
    • Posted

Hi Sheila I saw your message to Fern .I have been prescribed Vagifem but I am very reluctant to use it because it’s a hormone.

I suffer from migraines also and I feel this could cause issues with this 

There is so much mixed information out there it’s difficult to know what’s true as regarding risks.

I am aware that the dosage is much lower than in the oral conventional HRT but I still feel because one is absorbing this into the body for me makes me reluctant to take it 

• Posted

Hi Rosie

i have been using Vagifem now for a long time over a year....other ladies have been on it for many years.  All I know is that Vagifem is the only thing that gives me quality of life.  If I stop taking it I would feel like I was having a UTI all the time....very uncomfortable.  My doctor said I will have to be on Vagifem for the rest of my life because of the Atrophic Vaginitis. I will have my yearly checkups and Mammogram especially as  my sister had breast cancer...NOT from Vagifem as she did not have AV....in fact she was all organic, exercised and took such good care of herself.  I just hope someday they will come out with something more natural but the only thing that seems to heal the vaginal walls is a Hormone. Yes Vagifem is a low dose.  As there is no other choice than Vagifem I have no other choice so I am stepping out in faith.  I do not want to do the Mona Lisa treatments as they don't know long term affects and some ladies still need the Vagifem along with the treatments and treatments are not covered by insurance and is very expensive........

• Posted

Hi Wendy 

I am going to carry on using the Bepanthen cream I buy in the chemist for now as it’s doing the job really well as long as I remember to apply it regularly.Obvioulsy if this stops giving relief then I will probably try the

Vagifem 

I hope they can find a better treatment soon for menopausal symptoms that is safe and effective for all those who suffer in so many ways 

• Posted

NOw I am just using coconut oil as vagifem didn’t help me at all . I have not seen the new doctor yet I will see her on Tuesday so here’s hoping
    • Posted

Hi Sheila

i just saw your post.  Please ladies don't give up on Vagifem so quickly as the doctors need to tell you that it takes weeks for your vaginal area to heal.  I started with 2 weeks of Estrace cream internally then doctor started me on Vagifem.2x week.....yes it took a coupe to few weeks to feel normal again but you will get there.  Don't stop taking the Vagifem without trying it for a few weeks.  I also think the Estrace before helped as well.  I am fortunate to have a wonderful doctor that is knowledgeable about Atrophic Vaginitis and knows the best to treat it.  I am still using Vagifem tablets 2x weekly and know that this I will have to do forever.  But so relieved to have something that gives me quality of life back.

Also...some women need more Vagifem.  I have a friend in UK that needs Vagifem 5 X week others 3 or 4.  It depends on the severity.

i hope this helps.....you can feel normal again!  If you are not getting the right help please find a doctor that can and knows how to treat AV!

Blessings,

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Rosie. I've just found this. I, too am worried about the side effects, but have been assured by a very good doctor whose mother uses it and she has had breast cancer. I think if you are really desperate you will use it..I was. It was this doctor who told me what my condition was! They now call it genoturinary syndrome. It is real and extremely unpleasant. Almost unbearable for me . Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi Fern .... I so sympathise with you. I am 57 and was diagnosed with VA by a referral to my local gynaecologist. Even though mine is quite severe my own female GP didn’t recognise it!!! This is a massive taboo subject with this condition affecting 80/90% of women silently suffering with mixed symptoms. I have been on oestrogen pessaries (Vagifem) for 9 months now with no improvement that I can notice. I do wash with and use as a cream..hydromal in a big tub which has helped. My symptoms are slight discomfort,no itching and a brown discharge... no smell but awful to live with.

I have done a lot of research and found the Mona Lisa Touch as I’m sure you have. My nearest hospital is 4 hours away and going to cost over £2000 with no guarantees. I was going to enquire and then I fell across the VSCULPT website. Laser treatment by yourself in your own home. I ordered it last week and have used it twice .. very easy and a pleasure to use.It is £395 including the gel.The reviews are fantastic with Pelvic Floor also. The concept of it makes total sense to me and ticks every box that my gynaecologist pointed out to me.. the main one being rejuvenating the vagina walls which is where my discharge is from..abrasions.I have been single for 4 years and haven’t been sexually active in that time. My gynaecologist said “in so many words”..if you don’t use it you lose it and unfortunately for us girls it seems to be very true but a roller coaster as it’s the last thing we want!! The reviews for rediscovered sex lives with this are huge. It is a pleasure to use ,so very easy and non time consuming It’s early days but will keep everyone posted.

• Posted

Hi Dottie.......yes, please keep us posted.  I have not been able to have that intimacy with my husband in years....unable to penetrate and because of fear the discomfort of the AV will return if we were able.  My doctor said the same thing ..use it or lose it.....not so simple to do.....  so sad.  I am 66. My husband is so understanding...I'm so greatful.

• Posted

Hi Dotsie

how are you doing with the at home laser treatments.....I have never heard of it.  I'm doing well with Vagifem but may ask my GYN what he may know about it.  Has it helped you?

wendy

• Posted

You should definately have been prescribed Vagifem and the Hydromal ointment for gentle washing.. absolutely no soaps 
  • Posted

Hi , I'm glad I found this group I suffer also and are you any better with premarin? I am using Replens but not much better, next I guess the cream but I had hysterectomy 3 years ago for cancer but can't continue like this forever, reading these posts we are all doomed! Never met anyone with this problem , At least we can vent here thanks

• Posted

Premarin helps some. I am having my 3rd Mona Lisa treatment thursday.  It has helped some. Sometimes I have a little pain sometimes I have no pain and sometimes it ramps up to where I am uncomfortable to where I am annoyed.  It’s all over the place.  It clearly has helped.  I hope the third is the charm
    • Posted

Hi Yolanda

Are you able to use either Estrace Cream or Vagifem tablets?  

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I go next week to gyno to check my progress with Replens as it will be 6 weeks, and see from there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.