Vaginal Atrophy. When will it go away

Posted , 20 users are following.

Started out as burning then went to feeling like I was sitting on sandpaper now it is just miserable discomfort.  Occasionally lightens up but never goes away.  Been using Premarin cream  for a few months.  Feeling very discouraged.  Can not live like this forever.  Anyone have any thoughts?

0 likes, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh good ,was told about that also, just when you are feeling better it gets bad again, tired of wash with this try that infections no infections ugh
    • Posted

I’m fed up.  Had hyst August 2017. Had bad vag burning. Nearly suicidal.  My own surgeon could not figure it out. Sent me urologist. He was just as stupid.  Hoping the 3rd Mona Lisa does it for me.  I am a lot better but it needs to improve more.  I know how u feel.

• Posted

It's just awfully scary, hope your healing happens, and mine!

• Posted

Best of luck to you.  This is a horrible condition.
    • Posted

Something else to consider is Lichen Sclerosis (or Sclerosus).    Not all women get the white areas that make it more noticeable.  Not all women itch, some burn.  Some don't have any symptoms. For me, I burn.   My mom would itch all the time.  For many, it shows up around or after menopause.   Treatment is a steroid ointment.     Some woman are getting relief from the Mona Lisa so if you do have Lichen Sclerosis, then that treatment will help as well.

• Posted

I went to the new gynocologist and she said I must take vagifem for vaginal atrophy I told her it burns and she said I must persist so that is another gynocologist that told me the same thing,she also said it could

take some time to heal so here is trying again.

• Posted

Hi Sheia I use the vagifem pessaries at night and have never had burning. I don’t know if you are using a cream version. I’m getting better with the pessaries, washing in hydromal ointment and using this as a healing cream all the time. Moisturerises and hydrates. The VSculpt is really helping also. The lady who invented this is a genius. Good luck 
    • Posted

Hi ferm was wondering how you been, I've been back to dr he saw improvement with the Replens and Summers Eve wash but Then I feel its never gone, not right he said no need for topical hormone as of yet and come back in a year, yeah right!

• Posted

Hi Shiela

Yes....please give Vagifem time.....it does take some time to heal but it's worth it to feel normal again...you will get there!  Also do not stop the Vagifem as if you do, you will have to start all over with the discomfort.  I tried to stretch the 2xweek to 1.......but the burning and discomfort started.....so back to the 2x weekly.  My GYN said I will have to continue Vagifem for the rest of my life....not good to hear but a blessing that there is something to make us feel normal and not suffer.

hang in there girl you will heal and be fine.....the Vagifem will get you there.

wendy

• Posted

Hi Yolanda. Thanks for asking. I had my 3rd Mona Lisa treatment a little over a week ago,  discomfort level is at a 1.  It might be at a zero if I wasn’t so darn aware of this all the time.  I use Premarin with my finger on the opening and put some on the outside on mon, wed, and Friday.  I go to the doc and he tells me I’m OCD when I ask him questions.  Makes me feel like crap but I need to know.  I’m going to ask him about vagifem. Don’t like using Premarin.  Rep lens and summers eve won’t take your issues away from what I’ve read. Maybe u want to go on vagifem or something before it gets bad.  These drs don’t know what the pain and discomfort is like

• Posted

Glad you're getting better gives hope to me too, your right they don't know the discomfort, but they aren't Keen on the estrogen topical either since I had cancer, reoccurrence is always a worry

• Posted

Mona Lisa touch cost me 2200 US dollars.  I would have paid 500000 to get rid of that miserable pain and hopefully not get any utis
    • Posted

I agree Wendy. I had major bowel,surgery so stopped vagifem for a while ( silly I know) 2 months later I've got all the awful,symptoms back, the burning is awful. Back on the 2 week load , day 9 and counting! I found it very helpful. I was desperate. 

• Posted

Oh Yes Rhiannon.......Vagifem is truly a blessing to feel normal again....and yes.......we cannot stop using it or the horrible symptoms will come back as you have experienced.  I wish the doctors would tell us that.  My GYN is wonderful but even he did not tell me that I should not stop taking it or I will have symptoms again.  On second visit he did tell me that the Vagifem will be life long.  I hope you mend quickly!

wendy

• Posted

It doesnt go away you need Vagifem and ultimately Mona Lisa treatment or similar.  Dont put it off hoping that it will improve - if anything it gets worse.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.