Vaginal dryness at 17?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a 17 year old woman. As of these last few days, i've been having vaginal dryness, a lot of itching around my vulva and pain during intercourse. There is no discharge, and any wetness that i do produce is clear, has no texture and doesn't smell bad. I don't know what is causing it or how to stop it.

I am currently on an amplicillin (antibiotic) medication for ance treatment. I had used it months prior, but then stopped for a time because my ance has reduced. i wasn't sexually active at the time of usage then. i started my re-use about 17 days ago. 

I also recently became sexually active. My boyfriend and i had sex about 21 days ago for the first time. We always use condoms, and have had no issues with pain during intercourse or vaginal dryess before this past week. Niether of us have STI's (it was my first time and his second, but he had his first time was a year ago and was with condom and has shown no signs of STI's). I've had no issues utill now. I'm usually VERY wet during intercourse.

Almost 7 days ago, i had my period start. I used the same feminine hygiene products that i have always used, and kept myself clean and made sure to regularly change my tampons. I didn't feel any discomfor during that time. About 3 days ago, my period ended, which is when my issues started to accure. I became itchy and dry, causing redness and soreness (although i cannot tell if they are from irritation or my scratching). I've tried to stop scratching, but it's difficult. 

Also about 3 days ago, i re-shaved my pubic hair, including the hair of my labia majora. I've never had issues with shaving before, but i cannot rule it our as perhaps part of the reason for my itchynes.

I've had no lumps, warts, or sores. My pain is only when an attempt to penetrate my vagina is made. Using my finger and warm water, i was able to feel around my vagina and there is nothing different in texture than prior to even my first sexual encounter about 21 days ago. 

TO ADD: I also have to frequently use the bathroom, but i have had that before this month because i tend to hold in my bladder for too long. I don't have any pain when i urinate though. 

I've tried to research what is happening to me, but everything i do find, does not include all my symptoms or has symptoms that i do not have. Because i am 17, i do not want to go to the doctors and have to explain to my parents that i'm having discomfort, especially since they are VERY strict about my not having sex (yeah, that didn't work so well for them). 

Does anyone know what's going on with me?? Any cheap treatments? Or is this just so irregular i need to see the doctor asap?? 

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Janette, the only thing I can say is that it's not going to be vaginal atrophy because that's what older women get.  I suspect this might be something that is related to you just starting to be sexually active, but it's total guesswork on my part.  There is a sexual health group on this site and I wonder if they might be able to help more.  You may get more people on there who have experienced this sort of thing?  I hope you can find out the cause anyway and take away any anxiety you might have about this.
    • Posted

No, we had sex prior, and nothing happened. Would it take 3 weeks of sexual activities for my body to suddenly reject it after my period like that? I would guess that if it was the sex, it would have presented a problem much sooner than now.
    • Posted

Mmm - I really don't know Janette.  If it carries on longer than a few more days I'd suggest asking your GP.  You should be able to do that in confidence, without your parents knowing?
  • Posted

You might want to start by eliminating anything that might be causing this or irritating you. Could be that when you were taking the ampicillin earlier it caused dryness but you weren't aware of it because you weren't having sex. Ask the doctor who prescribed it for you if it may be side effect.

You mention hygiene products. What are they? Use only a gentle cleanser with appropriate PH. No perfumes, no douching etc. Douching can cause problems in general, one being yeast infections.It is possible to have a yeast infection with itching but no discharge.

Personally, I have never understood how women could be shaving such a sensitive area. Stubble is notorious for causing itch.

It could be you are reacting to the condom material, so I would hold off on having sex. Attempting to would cause more irritation anyway. If you eliminate any obvious  possible causes and it persists you need to see a doctor. May be a dermatological problem.

Unfortunately you have learned the hard way one reason your parents wanted you to hold off on having sex. It does open up potential of a host of problems though you are obviously trying to be careful and responsible which is good.

If the itch gets too bad while you are trying to go through with the elimination process you will probably have to see a doctor sooner rather than later. ALWAYS take care of yourself. Hope this is resolved soon.

• Posted

I was on my meds during my first sexual relations, and it didn't effect me at all as it is doing now. I believe that it was my period that really effected me. It was probably my hormones changing plus the medications that caused it. I'm calling my dermatologist tomorrow for a check up, just to see if what is going on a side effect of the pills. I have stopped taking them until I am able to talk with my doctor.

I am as safe as I can be, having sex only with condoms and I have a few day after pills too, just in case. Unfortunately, day after pills don't prevent STI's. My boyfriend hasn't showed any irritation at all, meaning it is all of my body, and has nothing to do with his.

• Posted

Didn't realize it was your dermatologist you were calling. Will you be seeing a GP or gynecologist re the possible yeast infection?
  • Posted

Hi Janette.

Antibiotics can cause thrush. Your symptoms sound very much like thrush to me. I would go to your pharmacist and ask for Canesten. Your boyfriend will need to be treated also as you can pass it backwards and forwards, Don't worry it is not an STI it is a type of fungus. In the meantime plain yoghurs inserted on a tampon can temporarily relieve the itch. Anything perfumed in that area is a no no it upsets the bacterial balance so shaving with gels etc will make it itch. Avoid sex until it has cleared up. Spme tampons and pads can also cause problems so do not buy any of the perfumy types they can cause havoc. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I buy unsented products, and I do not douche. I use tampons. I don't use gels, only warm water and nonchemical soaps. I have looked up thrush, but I do not have the symptom of discharge. In fact, I am completely dry. Nothing is coming out at all. And it doesn't have a bad smell, which is another symptom of thrush. Is it possible that I have it while not having all the symptoms? And my boyfriend has no irritation at all. We use condoms, and he hasn't had sex with me for 2 weeks now, so I doubt he will show any symptoms anyways. Thank you for your help! I'm calling my doctor tomorrow.
  • Posted

Also some women use organic coconut oil that is bought in a jar.It softens on touch and can be applied both internally and external y.I have not used it but many have.supposed to help moisturise, sooth,also has antibacterial properties.you can read about it on the net.
    • Posted

That could be a good idea Lee.  I use it twice a day and find it's good and I believe it's got anti fungal properties too, from what I read somewhere.
  • Posted

You can have it without discharge, but I don't know that it would make you dry. The doctor will be able to tell you. Glad you're going.
  • Posted

I'm also 17 and i'm also experiencing the exact same thing ,did you figure out what it was? I really need help ,should i call the doctor asap???

• Posted

Im 17 and im experiencing this now like im totally dry and it itches me so bad when i walk , did you find a solution?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.