Vaginal Sensation Going! Gone!

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am 48 years old. My periods have been crazy for a year. My question is....my vaginal sensation is almost gone. I can have an orgasm through clitoral stimulation and I have lubrication so I am not dry. It feels half numb at times and totally numb a few times. I get aroused and lubricated but during intercourse there is no pleasure sensation and a novacaine type feeling. I had saliva testing done and my progesterone is about zero while estrogen and testosterone seemed normal. I had CAT scans, MRI's, went to physical therapy for kegels, had gyno exam and nothing comes up. All is well. This is distressing for me. I tried a natural progesterone cream for a month but gave up because it didn't help any. I see on the internet that clitoral sensitivity goes down, but what about vaginal sensitivity and what can I do about it???? Does it last forever? My husband and I had a great sex life and now there is this lack of feeling in me and is breaking my heart!

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, yes it o sounds like heart breaking. I guess many women and plus their man go through it. One of the difficulties of life and aging! Being a women is ALWAYS HARD. All the best.
  • Posted

I'm the same age as you and going through the same thing.

I really never had a high sex drive and now I have 0 sex drive.

I don't even talk to my doctor about it.

• Posted

So sorry to hear this. I have the same problem. We went from every night and twice on Sunday to no sex at all. At about the same age as you. My doctor is not that interested. I am on HRT oestrogel and Utrogestan the GP would not test or prescribe testosterone. S

Your hormone levels are normal. Yes normal for a lady of your age. I have found addressing the hormones has helped considerably. Going from no sex at all to a few times a week and I have only been taking these things for 6 weeks.

Hope you find an answer.

• Posted

Thank you!! I have hope then? So you are supplementing with estrogen? Is that what those products are? My estrogen is normal but my progesterone is gone so I am trying to supplement with progesterone cream.
    • Posted

Zigangie, did you also have a loss of sensation in the vagina?
    • Posted

Yes from about 46 years of age. I ended up only being able to have clitoral orgasm by 50 then it went to only being able to achieve those with a heavy duty vibrator and a very long time. For the last year very difficult and no sensation. Orgasm almost there but not quite so horribly frustrating.

I then read a lot about Professor John Studd's work and what he recommends.

My GP would not hear of testosterone but gave me tibolone on my request (this is the only HRT containing a form of testosterone). Withing 3 weeks I began suffering breathing problems so she took me off it.

I checked what John Studd uses (oestrogel gel Utrogestan and testosterone). My GP would not test for or prescribe testosterone. I found it after much research. Ordered some and I had a really massive improvement almost from day one. I then went back to my GP and requested to go on the other HRT items mainly because I was getting cystitis and was very dry and sore (but up for sex again).

I am a little worried as it does say to get your testosterone levels checked. But what the heck I'm so much happier a spring in my step and return of confidence. My quality of life has improved loads. My husband is also a lot happier.

I have also had improvements with my sleep, which over the last few years has been pretty nonexistent.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi, so can you tell us what products you bought from the Australian company please...if it helps with sleep and anything else...I'll look into it.

Thank you

• Posted

I asked my gyno about the numb feeling and she said she had no idea. Was your feeling of numbness as in no feeling or just not being interested or aroused in sex? Or do they go together? Because I can have an orgasm with clitoral stimulation, but then if we start having intercourse, its like its gone. I am at my wits end with all of this. The neurologist wasn't nice and said it was anxiety. I said no, because I've always had some sort of anxiety and never this issue. 
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. My GP tried to talk me into couple counselling. I told her it has nothing to do with my relationship because I have no interest even on my own.

I always had a very high sex drive. When I was in the peri my periods started being really erratic and I would go a few months without one and those months sex was just not as interesting for me as it had always been. It was my husband who noticed I was far more interested sometimes and he was able to predict that I was soon going to have a period by my sexual response.

I also began to notice that my boobs were not as full on the months I didn't get one.

After a few days of using the testosterone cream my vaginal area sort of came back to life. Hard to explain about half an hour after I put the cream on it was almost as if blood was returning to it as in when you get pins and needles and then move and the feeling comes back.

• Posted

Yes its 1% testosterone cream. Australia is the only country who have a testosterone cream especially for women. We used to have a patch here in the UK but it has been discontinued.

Some women are lucky. Your GP is allowed to prescribe mens testosterone off licence. But mine would not. If you were to go privately, you would be be prescribed estrogen progesterone and testosterone. That would be nice but I looked into it and quite expensive. I would not be able to afford it.

I also did a lot of reading on tests that have been done with women on testosterone. Some of the studies have gone on for 10 years so I feel quite safe using it for a while.

I have been using it for six weeks then added in oestrogel and Utrogestan. The utrogestan has made me bleed again so I'm thinking I will use the testosterone only when I'm not bleeding. It's not hugely expensive, around £60 for about 100 days at 0.5 ml or 50 days for 1 ml. I have been using the higher dose and I've just finished the first tube.

I think we have probably had sex around 15 times since I started using it (compared to maybe once a month or less) I have also had an orgasm and sometimes several on each occasion. We would have had sex more times than that as well if I had not had a nasty bout of cystitis.

My sleep had improved a bit with just the testosterone and again the second week into the oestrogel.

Although I haven't had too many hot flushes. I had become just much hotter generally especially at night time that has got a lot better as well.

• Posted

Read my new post below on nerve entrapment and see what you think.
  • Posted

I am going back to my regular Dr and getting referred to another neurologist. The last one I had scanned my head and upper back but not my lower back. He chalked the whole thing up to anxiety. I can't believe that because my rectum is numb at times too. I just can't believe that menopause would literally make me feel completely numb in my vagina and rectum. It sounds like a nerve entrapment to me so I am getting a second opinion. I have always heard of a lessened sensation at menopause but numb or 50 percent numb? It just doesn't sound right to me. I actually couldn't feel a bowel movement at times!
    • Posted

Hi HopeAgain,

I don't know if you read the Daily Mail? But I think it was either Friday or Saturday there was an article in there about the hidden side of menopause.

It was basically saying that some women become incontinent at this time and that many just put up with it.

Obviously get it checked out with a neurologist, but from what I read the other day it does seem that your symptoms could be menopause related.

I have noticed that I now need to wee very urgently and so often it's become a joke for my husband and daughter. I can sometimes go to the loo then go out straight away to the shops and almost as soon as I'm in the supermarket I need the loo.

I've also noticed that the flow of urine is just not the same as it was there is no force behind it like there always was and it kind of dribbles out.

I knew women have trouble with urinary incontinence but in the paper it said some women have bowel incontinence too.

The article totally freaked me out!

• Posted

I don't have bowel incontinence. When I feel pressure to go I go but I can't feel it coming out and when I wipe my behind there is no feeling. Or when I wash in the shower. It is numb like as if I had a novacaine shot at times.
    • Posted

I could not really describe mine as numb (the whole area) but very lacking in sensation.

I think I told you some sensation returned a few days after using testosterone cream. Almost like the feeling of sensation returning after having had pins and needles.

I was only thinking now you have said you can't feel a bowel movement sometimes if this numbness or lack of sensation is maybe why some women become bowel incontinence after menopause?

Hoping you get it all sorted out though and if the neurologist can find nothing untoward maybe try testosterone.

• Posted

Hi HopeAgain! 

This is all new to me - my vagina 'stopped working' 3 weeks ago. I miss her, and I want her back. I know you posted here awhile back - how are you doing now? 

• Posted

I just replied to Hope Again to give my experience with the O Shot. It is AWESOME! Hope it helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.