Vaginal Sensation Going! Gone!

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am 48 years old. My periods have been crazy for a year. My question is....my vaginal sensation is almost gone. I can have an orgasm through clitoral stimulation and I have lubrication so I am not dry. It feels half numb at times and totally numb a few times. I get aroused and lubricated but during intercourse there is no pleasure sensation and a novacaine type feeling. I had saliva testing done and my progesterone is about zero while estrogen and testosterone seemed normal. I had CAT scans, MRI's, went to physical therapy for kegels, had gyno exam and nothing comes up. All is well. This is distressing for me. I tried a natural progesterone cream for a month but gave up because it didn't help any. I see on the internet that clitoral sensitivity goes down, but what about vaginal sensitivity and what can I do about it???? Does it last forever? My husband and I had a great sex life and now there is this lack of feeling in me and is breaking my heart!

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. I'm a 46 yr old who began to experience extreme menopausal symptoms at 43, 11 years after a subtotal hysterectomy (still have ovaries). While it was clear for about 4 years that menopause was near (thinner vaginal tissue, insufficient lubrication, flagging libido, occasional mild hot flashes)... sex was still an incredibly pleasurable experience. Then one day, while at work, it happened... a hot flash that was all consuming, like an inferno within my body. Sweat drenched my hair and soaked my shirt within seconds, I couldn't stay standing nor could I catch my breath. Within about two weeks, I was barely sleeping, couldn't think, I was depressed and I out of nowhere, my appitite for sex began to soar only to find that I had no pleasurable clitoral OR vaginal sensation and sex began to cause pain and bleeding. And then the constant vaginitis set in. I had one infection after another. My GP had me on constant antibiotics. after about 6 months of this, I threw in the towel and decided that I could not live like this anymore. The worst thing was the absolute displeasure with my sex life. I was so distressed as my husband and I always had an extremely good sex life. I went to my GYN (a firm believer in HRT. She didn't even test my blood or saliva. She said it is irrelevant information because the symptoms were clear evidence of menopause and that I was one of many whose estrogen and progesterone declined rapidly compared to my testosterone. So... she immediately prescribed the Estrogen patch, which I change every third day and 100 mg of daily progesterone. She said that in time my testosterone would also decline and that if, in 12 weeks, I was not happy with the results, come see her again and we'd talk about other hormones. So, 12 weeks later, I was back. I no longer suffered from vaginal infections, I was sleeping and thinking again. I had a fairly normal body thermostat, i was having regular sex again (which I no longer was desiring) and... it was so BLAH! I was beginning to resent my husband who was 50 at the time and just as sexually needy as a 20 yr old man. And he enjoyed it thoroughly while I was left feeling empty and depressed. I still had NO sexual sensation and the closest I could come to an orgasm was with a high powered vibrator and still... I would get to the edge and it would disappear. My husband and I were trying unsuccessfully to navigate this new "normal". Strangely, the new normal included lowered skin sensitivity all around. So, stroking my arm, playing with my hair, erotic message, kissing my neck, etc... fealt DULL! My GYN said I just needed some testosterone. She prescribed it as a cream to be rubbed into my thigh, once a day. Insurance does not cover it which is fine because I get it at a mixing pharmacy. 20.00/mo. My GYN said that if it is not improved in 12 weeks we could increase the dose and consider adding DHEA. 12 weeks later... much improved however, though I could now have clitoral orgasms, vaginal sensation still dull. This hurt a little because I am one of those lucky ones who could always have an orgasm through intercourse alone and for whom even without an orgasm on occasion, it was still emotionally and sexually satisfying. Anyways, she did increase my T a little and gave me a kit to collect and send a saliva sample for DHEA and other hormone testing. Insurance doesn't pay... so I didn't bother. Now, I went on a research quest that is still ongoing because while my research has caused great improvement... I think there's still the possibility of finding something new, since science is finally investigating women's sexuality and satisfaction in menopause. I've added DHEA (GNC sells it) to my hormone compliment. Because I can't buy it from a mixing pharmacy without a prescription, I have to take it orally, which is not the best route as it must pass through the liver, which results in byproduct being created. So, I had to think long and hard about it. I decided to take it because it is a hormone that is strongly associated with youth. As we age, it decreases. The addition of DHEA would help my body all around and it would greatly improve my satisfaction with sex... I hoped. I just had to make sure my liver got regular breaks! So I started with 25 mg/2 X/day/mon-Friday. (We don't need much but when taking it orally, the amount we actually get is much less than what we take). After 12 weeks, I had to increase it. I started 50 mg/2X/day/Monday-Friday. The results are amazing. Vaginal sensation, somewhat improved, strength of orgasm markedly improved. However, still took FOREVER to get there and too briefly did it last. Then I thought... I don't technically NEED progesterone, as I have no uterus. Can I live with the resulting sleep problems and foggy brain? I stopped taking it about a month ago. I'm having a little difficulty sleeping, which Benadryl fixes. Slight difficulty thinking. Takes forever to orgasm BUT... my vagina is a wee bit happier. And strength/length of orgasm is much, much better! I've had to accept that menopause changes things. Acceptance is hard but it doesn't mean that sex is not going to be enjoyable. It means... it's different. I'll never orgasm again without a very powerful tool. But we've learned to find positions that increase contact between penis and G spot (doesn't engorge the same as it used to) and give me the ability to tighten every muscle and use my vibrator at the same time. Then it's a very positive experience. Not like it used to be but that's ok. We've gone through much in these last couple of years: anger, frustration, sadness, laughter and joy as we rediscover our individual sexuality and our sexual experiences as a couple. Do NOT give up hope! And do NOT accept substandard treatment from your DR! Demand better or find a new one! Even women who have or have had breast cancer or blood clots CAN SAFELY USE HORMONES! Bioidentical, transdermal hormones do not get processed by the liver, thus there are no dangerous toxins cast off into your system. Find a DR that believes that women deserve the same care in menopause as men have been getting for the last two decades (ED drugs). We deserve to enjoy one of Gods greatest gifts... sexual pleasure between two loving and trusting adults! God Bless... keep your hope alive!

• Posted

I read this and wanted to cry because here I am a year later and still the same problem. Not as bad but nowhere what it used to be. We had a beautiful sex life and it still is not right. I have tried oral pills which I stopped taking. I tried Evamist but didn't like it. It didn't do anything to help and I didn't like how it sprayed unevenly. I am currently on Estrogel which I just started yesterday and 1.25 mg of testosterone. I look in the mirror and I just look old and swollen and droopy. I am depressed severely. My libido is gone for the most part still. It has been devestating. What type patch are you on and the strength? How much testosterone do you use? My testosterone cream from a compounding pharmacy is 1.25 mg. and I am sure it isn't enough. I have to use this new approach for 2 weeks before she rechecks my levels and does anything different. 

• Posted

Also, you found that removing the progesterone helped you more sexual? I hated the progesterone as I found it made me bloat and gain weight. It did give me a more sexual response but I didn't like the side affects.

• Posted

I cannot see the first reply you wrote. It still says waiting for approval by moderator. As far as the second one you wrote, yes I did find that removing the progesterone helped. The reason I considered not taking it is because it is actually an anti testosterone. Testosterone and Estrogen are both responsible for sex drive. Of course that's imperative to keep us interested. Estrogen brings blood flow to the genitals and keeps the V tissue supple and healthy. (Also, by making the tissue healthy, good bacteria will live there, thus eliminating the bacterial infections common in menopause)The testosterone makes our nerves more sensitive to erotic/sexual stimulation. Enter progesterone. This lovely hormone thickens and prepares the uterine lining for implantation of a fertilized egg. When we are ready for fertilization to occur, our E and T are higher and our P dips. We became interested in and responsive to sexual stimulation. If the result is a fertilized egg being implemented in the uterine lining, the progesterone begins to spike rapidly to keep the uterine lining well nourished while the other hormones begin to decline, resulting in less interest in sex. Progesterone is a major component to the mix of pregnancy hormones. We've already conceived and don't need high levels of E and T, therefore we don't have a strong drive. Progesterone is like a mediator. It does have excellent benefits. Helping our skin stay soft, helping us feel emotionally well, clear thinking, etc... and if you have a uterus it's imperative that you take progesterone if you take estrogen, as it negates the impact of estrogen. People who take estrogen only have a higher risk of uterine cancer. Therefore those in menopause who have uteruses and take E, must take P.

I don't have a uterus and I chose to stop the P for 2 reasons. I want the full affect of my E and T and also I don't want to risk the one danger of Progesterone... blood clots. If you have a uterus, talk to your DR, please before considering the elimination or addition of any hormones. As for DHEA... it's a steroid hormone. its good for you but too much of anything or taken orally (as I do) can have consequences. If you can afford a saliva test, get one and then see if your DR will prescribe it, to be mixed in a medium that you rub into your skin.

• Posted

Hi,  wow, it is both encouraging and discouraging to read everyone's posts.  I'm in the same boat, it started in the past 12 months, ALL the darn symptoms and I'm using topical estrogen (helps a little) and topical testosterone cream (no effect).  I've recently discovered the MonaLisa Touch and O Shot...I have an appt next week for the Mona Lisa Touch.  I am hoping.  Having zero sex drive, and no sensation down there to say nothing of the dryness, etc...just plain sucks.  I'll let ya'll know how it goes...and suggest doing a bit of research on both.  

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I've been researching the O Shot and the G Shot. Mona Lisa not what I need, as the hormones have made my V tissue supple and penetrable. For me, it seems the only issue I have now that makes uninteresting is the lack of blood supply. I was doing ok for a while, though wanting more. Now... same as it was soon after menopause... NO Vaginal sensation and barely clitoral sensation. I need a vibrator equivalent to a jackhammer for a time least 15 min... then it's usually very... meh. I'd rather get a tooth drilled. So the G Shot is interesting because it is like Botox. It fills the tissue and makes it easier to make contact. BUT... with no blood flow, I hardly see the point. The O Shot though... I'm incredibly interested in it because the way it works makes absolute sense. HGH in ones own plasma. Remove ones own blood, separate the plasma, injection in 3 strategic locat Down Under... the HGH stimulates the tissues and vessels to grow and VIOLA! PRESTO!! Blood supply. I know it takes a few months for the max benefit... but I'm curious... have you ANY results yet? I want to make an appointment but the closest place to me is 2.5 hours drive away. And it's 1500.00 every 12-18 months! Saving now for that. But in the meantime... I'm dying to know your experience!

Thanks so much!

Amy

• Posted

Hello.

I wanted to tell you... 2 weeks ago I had the O Shot. And within a couple of days, the urge and stress incontinance was GONE! Within a week? My vagina was very happy. My clitoris? Meh... the Dr discovered my clitoral hood was adhering to my clitoris. I was completely numbed and he removed the adhesions when he did the Shot in that area. Now? A full two weeks later and I have to say... it's been several days of O..O...O! Not quite like it used to be but I'm not to expect the full results yet. We're having a LOT of fun! I'm lubricating easily and I'm even beginning to get some vasocongestion in my girl parts! Tonight, I could not wait for my husband to get into bed and I attacked HIM! Tonight, I actually had a decent enough orgasm that I even felt heat in my face!

I have to have a second shot (it's actually 2 shots- one in the vagina and one in the clitoris) in two weeks. After that I should be expecting to have complete regeneration of my Vaginal tissue, blood vessels and nerves within a few months. But I have to say... these first two weeks have made me a believer!

Look around and make sure you are not being ripped off. I went to the first doctor to offer this in NC. He is well trained, has been doing this for quite a while and he charges 1300.00 for the first, 1000.00 for the second. No consultation fee. Another NC doctor charges 500.00 for the consultation and then can't give an exact price but range between 1800.00 and 4000.00.

High cost doesn't mean better. It means you may be dealing with a shiester.

Do some research and go on the website . You can research doctors there. And then when you find a doctor.... research more, google his/her name and some keywords like 'o Shot' sexual dysfunction treatment, etc...

and one thing I did find is that GYN doctors tend to charge more than aesthetic surgeons.

And remember.... PAIN FREE

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi. I replied to Hope Again to tell her my experience with O Shot. Awesome!! Hope it is helpful
    • Posted

Hi Amyls, i just read your post and i am going through the same thing right now. I am glad to know that there is hope. I've been going through perimenopause full blown for almost one year now. I've had just about every symptom , they all gave decreased alot. But the most recent one is vaginal dryness , irritation and changes / appearance down there. I have no feel whatsoever. This has recently started the past few weeks. The tissue is so lifeless, not plump anymore. This is very devastated to me. Although since going through peri i was only having bouts of libido increased here and there. I went for 8 mths last year because my symptoms were so bad but most of the time no interest. But i had feelings tbere and appearance was still healthy . Now it seem to be gone. Since going through peri I've been using progesterone cream but doesnt seem to help in this area at all. It was prescribed by a BHRT dr months ago, but I no longwr see him because I could no longer afford it. What exactly is the O shot? Is this only given by bio dentical drs. Or does medical drs do it also?

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I just started using a essential oil called Changes by Natures Sunshine. I bought in on Amazon. My friend was having hot flashes every 5 minutes, she stumbled upon the oil at a health food store and it worked! In two weeks no more hot flashes and vaginal dryness went away too. She puts a drop on her wrist and a drop on her abdomen twice a day. I started using Changes and Thieves 2 days ago. What I've noticed is that after years of IBS and chronic constipation, I went several times yesterday! smile I don;t have hot flashes but I'm hoping it helps the vaginal numbness and irritation and stinging/itching on my labia and after intercourse. I'm also sore internally sometimes after sex.

I miss my old sex life so much! I will keep you posted on how the oil works.

• Posted

I have always enjoyed good sex. At age 40 I had a complete hysterectomy which put me into early menopause. I started taking hormones to keep the obvious symptoms away but I lost all feeling in my vagina. I could no longer reach vaginal organism only clitoral. I could not feel the penis inside of me. I had no sensation which was very frustrating.

I looked for years and years for an answer until finally my new female doctor explained that when the  vagina is no longer getting a certain level of hormones the tissue can loose sensitivity. I had her give me a prescription for the Estring (estradiol vaginal ring) to see if by getting a little bit of hormones directly into the vagina  the tissue would get its sensitivity back. IT IS WORKING! I have had sex twice since using the ring, (I used it for about 6 months before I had sex-just because I wasn't involved with anyone) and I have that good sensation back. My organisms are stronger and sex is once again pleasurable and fun and hot. I also added Maca, and steel libdo for women as supplements. I feel sexy again and I am not concerned about having pleasurable sexual experiences.

I hope this posting helps.

• Posted

Thank you very much! I actually wanted to talk to my DR about getting more Estrogen. I'm using the patch because her conservative approach is that Estrogen should only be used for certain menopausal issues such as hot flashes. That is the ONLY reason that she gave me hormones. While it did make the tissues 'penetrable' it hasn't restored complete blood flow. And since I'm using Estrogen, she gave me other hormones. But the combined effect only helped to a degree. Now... nothing.

She will not, no way give me any other Estrogen.

I'm going Saturday to have the O Shot.

I see no way for this to be dangerous as PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is being used. It's my own blood, being spun out to separate it and leaving a large quantity of platelets in the plasma, containing huge amounts of growth hormones, being injected into my body. In the long haul, it is less expensive for me than adding another prescription anyways.

I'm so glad that you are enjoying sex again! I'm envious!

• Posted

Oh, so glad you wrote this!!! See, I tried the patches, gels, sprays, oral pills etc and still had little vaginal feeling. I was also dry! I tried using Estrace cream and unless I used a lot all the time just nothing. But using Estrace cream it raised my estrogen levels up and I got jittery etc. I just saw my gynecologist yesterday and she suggested the Estring! I am actually picking it up today. I didn't even see your post about the Estring until just now so her prescribing it wasn't because of your response but just her idea. I am so excited to try it now!!!! Thanks!

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the information! I too have lost the feeling in my vagina. I'm going to ask my doctor about the ring as well. Can your husband tell you've had your organs removed?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.