Vaginal Sensation Going! Gone!

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am 48 years old. My periods have been crazy for a year. My question is....my vaginal sensation is almost gone. I can have an orgasm through clitoral stimulation and I have lubrication so I am not dry. It feels half numb at times and totally numb a few times. I get aroused and lubricated but during intercourse there is no pleasure sensation and a novacaine type feeling. I had saliva testing done and my progesterone is about zero while estrogen and testosterone seemed normal. I had CAT scans, MRI's, went to physical therapy for kegels, had gyno exam and nothing comes up. All is well. This is distressing for me. I tried a natural progesterone cream for a month but gave up because it didn't help any. I see on the internet that clitoral sensitivity goes down, but what about vaginal sensitivity and what can I do about it???? Does it last forever? My husband and I had a great sex life and now there is this lack of feeling in me and is breaking my heart!

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So there is hope.. I thought I was losing my mind there for a bit, since I wasn't having much feeling inside my vagina. I still produce the lubrication but no joy in that if when it comes into the penetration I feel hardly anything. I'm so happy I found this forum. Needless to say I am making an appt with my Gyn. Only thing I'm concerned about is all the negative things I've heard about hormone creams. But thank you for sharing all this info, at least I know it's not me, but a side affect of going thru menopause.

• Posted

Wanted to tell everyone that since I originally posted this 2 years ago my feeling is back!!! I am telling you this to encourage you. I literally lost ALL feeling in the vaginal area. During penetration there was no feeling whatsoever! BUT, with perseverance and trying different hormone regimens I can say that sex is now better than it was before. Please do not give up. Menopause can be heart breaking in the intimacy department. Do what you have to do and get better. I am currently using 1 pump of Estrogel, compounded progesterone cream, and testosterone cream. I know the hormones carry risks but to me I couldn't live without being able to enjoy intimacy with my husband. 

• Posted

HopeAgain,

I've been reading your postings from back 2 years ago and it is so nice to see the positive progress you have made in fixing your issues. You are so so right. Intimacy with your husband is so important. There is fixes out there and sadly many women do not get to them. I noticed some key things in your posting today. You are on compounded hormones. Big big plus. Compounded estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Another HUGE plus. You have added testosterone into the mix which is very important and many main stream doctors miss completely for women. There is many women that cannot take estrogen after breast cancer etc but have had success with testosterone for their symptoms. The risks of compounded bio identical hormones are much less, than the conventional synthetcs that they know caused women some serious problems years ago. Sadly they are still prescribing these types of HRT and many women do not get positive results from them. I am over two years menopausal and have been on bio identical compounded creams of estrogen and testosterone and OTC progesterone myself with absolutely no problems at all. Again, I can't say it enough how big testosterone is for women, we need it for lots of things to stay healthy as it depletes just like our other hormones. It is great for keeping things healthy for enjoyable intimacy and I agree 100% with you that is so important to keep alive. I think a healthy sex life keeps us happier overall. I bet your husband is thrilled as well. Great reading your posting, best wishes for continued success!

• Posted

My estrogen isn't compounded. I use one pump of Estrogel daily. I believe it is bio-identical too. Either way yes, sadly many women never get help. I know someone who doesn't use anything and so therefore there is no intimacy for her. WHY? I have no idea. To me though that was the worst part of menopause other than the panic attacks. I literally went to a neurologist because I was so numb feeling. At one point we thought I had MS. Even the skin on my body felt numb. I believe it was the lack of estrogen. Don't give up hope anyone reading this. I have been in a 2 year nightmare and I feel it might finally be coming to an end. It took a lot of trial and error to get my hormones right and they are still not where they should be but I feel I am getting close. 

• Posted

You don't know how relieved I am to have read all of this. I have thought I was just broken for no reason and so sad because we have had a wonderful sex life but my pleasure and sensation has been gone.

I am seeing a new doc this month and I'm going to talk to her about this and about options.

Thank you so much for being brave and sharing this with all of us. Clearly, we are not alone!

xo

• Posted

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I thought I had it all figured out a few months ago and boom. Back to problems. I am almost there, but it has been 2 years of absolute horror!!!! Many women skate through. I didn't. As I said I had zero feeling in most of my body. I had tests, MRI's, bloodwork, counseling, you name it. Countless hours and hours of tests and wasted money. Not one Dr. ever suggested it could be menopause. I didn't have a female family member to help me. I was on my own. For 2 years I had zero clue. You would think one Dr. out of 2 dermatologists, 3 endocrinologists, 2 gynecologists, one neurologist, 2 family Dr's, 3 counselors that ONE would say, "You have your hormones checked lately?" I finally found out through my last counselor. He suggested he thought it was menopause. But for 2 years I literally thought I had MS or some other thing. It takes time. Lots of time. It can be restored. Let me tell any woman out there going through this several pointers. 

1. Find a GOOD Dr. that listens and cares. If they brush you off or say it is anxiety, find another, and another, until they listen and really help you. DO NOT settle. I wasted too much time settling on horrible Dr's. Find a good one! Find one that will run blood work and look at everything including thyroid, cortisol, etc. 

2. Have a good talk with your family, husband, or loved one. Tell them how hard it is to go through it. Explain to them that all your life you got up, got dressed, became who you are, thought the way you thought, believed how you believed, and all of a sudden all of it changes. Because without proper hormones you CANNOT think. I thought I had lost my mind. It is very scary. So get someone that can help and understand. If your spouse doesn't then find someone that can understand and has been through it.

3. You might need testosterone. It's not a bad thing in small doses. Some Dr's won't even prescribe estrogen to women. They say things like you are 49 so you shouldn't want sex anyways or things like that. Find a Dr. that is willing to prescribe any hormone you need including testosterone if it is needed. Sometimes all the estrogen and progesterone are not enough. 

4. I've been there. I've done it. It was the worst 2 years of my life. Hang in there with all your might. I never ever ever ever thought I would make it through. I still have bad days but it is getting better smile

• Posted

Hi Tara68,

You are probably very low on testosterone causing your loss of sensitivity and pleasure. As my doctor increased my testosterone level I have found this to be a non issue now. Keep this in mind if you replenish your other hormones. There is no reason you can't still have an enjoyable sex life. Good luck. 

• Posted

Jude, yes, me too! I had several Dr's say I was "In range." Well at a free level of like 1.9 I had zero libido. Finally after 2 years I saw a GYN and she said she wanted my free level up around 4. What a difference!!!! From what I understand now it is better to have it in the upper half of your labs values. Mine finally is and my libido is returning. That is why I said if your libido is low find a Dr. that will prescribe it. I even went to an endocrinologist and he wouldn't even prescribe estrogen even thought mine was undetectable. Lab ranges are horrid. Low end ranges are not optimal. Mine sure wasn't. What is your total T and free T now Jude?? 

• Posted

I am much better but it has taken a lot of NOT giving up. Just breathe and just keep going. There were days and months I wanted to give up. 
    • Posted

Hope,

When I first got my labs done just over two years ago my testosterone was at 4..Almost at the bottom of the "normal range". Those normal ranges  are sometimes a joke because some women have needed way more throughout their life of certain hormones to feel normal while others might not need as much. So a doctor will look at 4 as being in the "normal" range and say your fine. Mine went up to 12  then 16, the last I was checked back in September and I will be due to go in again in a couple months to have rechecks. I'm feeling its probably near 20 now which I still think is too low. Myself I want to  be up on the high end and hoping to get closer to a 50 number in that area.  My free testosterone is still struggling but I think this will improve when I get my numbers up too. 

• Posted

My lab says total should be 0 to 55 and mine last checked was 48. For free T it says it should be up to 5.8 and mine was 4.1. My Dr. wanted me up around a free T of 4 not a total T. The free is the one that matters. It is the unbound T.
    • Posted

HopeAgain,

Looks like you have some pretty nice numbers there. I bet you are feeling pretty good all the way around. Nice to see them numbers for you.

• Posted

Jude,

I have a strong history of brest cancer in my family. Does that effect increased percentages in getting it? I'm seeing a new doctor on the 28th. I will be over the moon if I feel normal again.

• Posted

Tara68,

That is something that will have to be discussed between you and your doctor. I do know a older woman who had taken synthetic estrogen years ago and ended up with breast cancer. She was taken off that HRT regimen and put on testosterone treatment and has been on it for years. Again, it is something to read up on and discuss with your doctor. I go to a holistic doctor for my hormone replacement because even though I have no breast cancer in my family my general doctor, a woman, does not like hormone replacement, not even bio identical, which she seemed to know little about. Sometimes we have to take our own health, how we feel and quality of life into our own hands and venture outside the box. It is a decision that shouldn't be taken lightly and should have the right doctor on board that will pay attention to labs along with your symptoms, adjusting accordingly. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.