Vaginal ultrasound

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just had confirmation letter saying I have to have a Vaginal Ultrasound, has anyone had one of these? how long roughly does it take etc? I had thought I would have to have an MRI scan which I didn't want (claustraphobic) so I suppose this is the lesser of 2 evils but still a little apprehensive about it and worried it will start me bleeding again which I don't want as I alsmost died fro the last episode, just want to know what to expect.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Phoebe I have had 2 of these (TVU) Trans Vaginal Ultrasound. They really are nothing to worry about, they are (or mine were) painless, it involves a probe being insterted into the vagina so the ultrasonographer can look at the inside of the uterus. It makes no difference to tte scan if you are having a period. It takes between 5-10 mins depending on the reason for having it.
    • Posted

Thanks so much, I am 61 so no periods now but had a 'very significant bleed' (3-4 weeks ago) as my GP called it and almost died so just a bit worried it will start it up again.
  • Posted

As Nicola said its painless and was less than 5 mins. Basically small probe with a condom on lubricated and inserted. I was not bleeding and it did not cause any. Worst bit was dealing with the lubricant!
  • Posted

I had two ultrasound scans (an ordinary one and a transvaginal) about 3 weeks ago.  I am 64 and found it a bit uncomfortable when the probe was inserted, but after that it was bearable.  Lasted about 5 minutes.
    • Posted

Thanks Lynne, I thought I was done with this sort of thing....no such luck, I'll be glad when it's over with, it's the waiting I think that's the worst, I have to wait another month, I know others have had this done and it is such a comfort to be in contact with some of those people, thanks so much for replying.
    • Posted

Yes, you think when you get to our age its all done and dusted dont you.......as you say, for some of us, no such luck!!  I have an out-patient appointment tomorrow afternoon, when I should get the results of my biopsy, but I have a spinal condition (spinal stenosis) and it is playing up something awful at the moment.  (To be quite honest, I dont think the epidural I had for the hysteroscopy did me any good.)  Then the following week I have to have an MRI (dont like them).  I'm worried sick about the results of the hysteroscopy and dont know if I cant keep the appointment tomorrow, how long I'll be waiting for the next one.  They wont tell you anything over the phone will they?
    • Posted

Hi Lynne, sorry for delay in answering, I do hope that your out-patient appt went as you had hoped. Aslo your MRI scan.

I have my trans vaginal ultrasound this coming Monday now as decided to pay to have it done privately, I would be waiting until the 12th of next month otherwise, and isn't it just typical the bleeding has started again! I have just started taking Tranexamic Acid in the hope it will stop it getting too bad, fingers crossed.

• Posted

let us know about your experience with Tranexamic Acid as i was given it but never tried it. will you get the results of the scan on the day and discuss with a consultant. I had mine on nhs and i asked her how big the fibroids were, otherwise i would have to wait for my consultant app. next month. 
    • Posted

Hi, yes of course I will, I have taken them 3 times today without side effects thankfully, I don't know how long it will be for them to take full effect, I am not bleeding as badly as I was 4 weeks ago, back then I spent more time in the bathroom than any other room in the house, I started taking the TA tablets this time as soon as it started so hoping to nip it in the bud. I am hoping that as I am going private that the results of my ultrasound will be fast as I am hoping that my hysterctomy will happen before Christmas.
    • Posted

Hi fibroidy, I have been taking Tranexamic Acid since yesterday 3 tablets 3 times a day so have taken 5 now and the bleeding has slowed down considerably, will keep you informed. :0)
    • Posted

thats good to know, thanks, i may try them when things get bad. Thanks ! Good luck for monday
    • Posted

Thanks, I have huge butterflies in my stomach, I know what to expect, i've had 2 children for heavens sake but the thought of being poked and prodded about eekeek!
    • Posted

you'll be fine, i'm the biggest wimp when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'd never even had a smear test (though have now) and have no kids, so it was all new to me, and its really not bad.
    • Posted

All done, I KNEW I had nothing to worry about LOL, now I just have to wait to see a Gyni consultant, one hurdle over at least.

By the way, the tranexamic acid has stopped the bleeding completely now, I was on them only 3 days, I was always a bit nervous about taking them but not now, I hope I won't need them again though.

• Posted

thats great, you are at the same stage as me, i have my appointent with gyni next month to see what my next move is  with the fibroids. Great news about the TA. At the moment I'm on the pill to stop the bleeding.
    • Posted

GP just rang, gyni in 2 weeks(ish), this is all such SUPER fun aye? I'm coming back as a man or better still a pampered dog like one of mine LOL.
    • Posted

totally agree, us women are just such a poor design. Im seeing gyni in few weeks as well. chat then.!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.