Vaginitis and vaginal atrophy

Posted , 9 users are following.

i was on another site but cant find it tonight

was wondering if any of you can help me. I had a very slight chest infection and was given antibiotics - antibiotics never agree with me somehow but had to take them. It was a ten day course but towards the last couple of days I felt my atrophy quite badly so it was decided the antibiotics had given me thrush. well I consulted a doctor and I was given a tablet pessary and clotramazole cream. The pessary had to be inserted by an applicator high up as possible. Did that and waited I didn't know what to expect I think it felt a bit better - that was last Friday. Last night was the night I take the estriol cream so did that and went to bed/sleep then this terrible burning and stinging happened it was the worst I have ever felt. I was back and forward to the toilet and the burning and stinging was the worst I have ever had. I tried the clotramazole cream - worse I could hardly stand the pain then I tried drapoline it wasnt much better but helped a fraction. well i contacted the doctor and would have been as well not bothering it ended up me asking if it was because of the estriol cream and the thrush pessary and he decided it was and to wait a while before I took the estriol cream again because the thrush pessary would last up to seven days. I am doing that but the pain is still bad - Have any of you any suggestion

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Important to take yogurt every day when you are on antibiotics.

I feel they cause dryness and make inflammation worse - just my opinion as to how I react to them.

Did you have burning and urinary urgency?

I take a teaspoon of baking soda in a big glass of water when I have those symptoms but you have to keep an eye on you bp a it can raise it.

People over 65 shouldn't take more than 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda a day as I recall.

Hope you are feeling better!!

• Posted

hi Ro

just said to YOLANDA

DO you eat lots of sweets and sweet stuff because I am sure if you do, its making the condition worse.. I am much better with stopping eating sweets - I THINK - I had terrible pain in my bladder with a constant feeling of burning and stinging and feeling my whole pelvic floor was coming down..

• Posted

Hi Olive - I just saw the note above.

'Happy to say I'm doing much better and, like you, I'm afraid to say it out loud lest I jinx myself!

No sugar, no coffee, no hot baths, very little alcohol (I can sneak a few glasses of very dry wine (low acid) on the weekends if I take a glass of baking soda with it).

No fruit, lots of oils, try to avoid wheat, gluten, all the no-no's in the bladder diet plus I do yoga, run daily, meditate, pray and do bladder training, keeping a log book and urine PH level records. If my PH gets down in the 5's (acidic) I will likely get some slight burning and irritation, dryness, etc so I try to keep it alkaline without overdoing it by taking a baking soda sitz bath or having a glass of water with 1/2 teaspoon of b.s.

I quit wearing underwear months ago and quit wearing tight jeans, running pants, etc and bought several pair of loose fitting pants and shorts for going out.

Re: bladder training - I only "go" every 4 or 5 hours now -sometimes longer.

If I feel I have to pee before the due time I to distract myself by flipping on tv or going on the computer. It almost always works.

Also, I sip Fiji water (high PH 7.8) all day long, use estriol cream every 3 days (pea sized) and Clob also every 3 days.

Whew! It sounds like a lot but its worth it, by and large, but I still have to conquer my anxiety which can throw all my good intentions right out the window if I can't get a handle on it.

I'm so glad you are doing better, too!

• Posted

RO - hope you feeling better

i had terrible burning and urgency, so bad I was holding onto the edge of the toilet seat and I would have wet myself standing at the kitchen sink when the feeling came on. when the feeling came on I just had to get to the toilet even for a few drops. It was just awful and can't believe it is feeling better I am just about afraid to say it is. The only thing I have done different is stopping sitting eating sweets.

• Posted

Olive - did you get my response to the above post? I wrote one but I don't know where it went.

• Posted

i am glad i found this thread. i hope you ladies can help me. I have been trying to figure out what is going on with me. i have been in peri about 4 years. my periods are getting more sporadic and my night sweats are all the time. I have a burning sensation down there. It's almost like I am allergic to myself. urine burns the skin sometimes...not everytime. no uti. i was recently treated for BV. after i finished the antibiotics, i started my period and everything felt so much better. now two weeks later I am experiencing the same uncomfortable feelings. sometimes it even feels achy all around.does this sound like atrophy starting? Am i imagining these pains? lol. sometimes i wonder if my anxiety makes it worse. I drank kefir while i took the antibiotics and i didn't get a yeast infection.

• Posted

When my urine feels burning and hot coming out or after the tissue down there feels hot and burning , too. When this happens, 9 times out of 10 my urine will be very acidic.

I have little strips (Amazon) that measure the Ph content of the urine.

If the urine Ph is very acidic (due to stress or something I ate or drank (( see bladder irritants diets)) I take a spoonful of sodium bicarb in a big glass of water. This will make it more alkaline and mitigate the acidity.

You may have vaginal atrophy meaning your urogenital tissue is drying out making it quite irritable and inflamed which often causes urinary urgency problems.

Taking some form of regular estrogen can really help this problem.

• Posted

thank you ro. I am still in peri. Does this start in peri? everything i was reading online said post meno. thank you

• Posted

how are you doing RO

are you still finding things a but better I find estriol cream is working for me

let me know how you are

• Posted

Olive, so sorry you had a bad time and 'glad you are feeling a bit better.

I can't list the link here but if you google "Bladder-Irritating Foods" on a site run by the famous Cleveland Clinic you will find a great list for "no no" foods and another list for safe alternative food/drinks.

When I have a bad time of it I try to find out what brought it on....food, drink, stress, something new I took (last week I added my old daily vitamin and B supplements - brought on urge and burning so I had to drop them asap)

All I drink is Fiji water as it has a high PH of 7.8.

I buy those urine PH strips from Amazon (under $10.00) and test my urine whenever I pee to see how acidic it is - the more acidic the more my tissue "down there" will become irritated and start big problems of dryness, burning and pressure to pee. I'm sure my bladder and urinary tract is, likewise, irritated and inflamed.

When I do have a bad experience I take a glass of water and 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda - that calms things down for me almost immediately. Then I take a sitz bath (plastic tub that sits in the toilet with the seat up) and throw some baking soda in there along with warm water from the tub or sink.

Then I sit on it and just use my hand to splash the water up there for about 5 minutes. Very soothing. Then I blot with toilet paper. Its usually very effective.

Hope you continue to feel better!

Ro

• Posted

i will look that up and will try the same. My daughters don't live beside us and I have told them to stop buying sweeties - once they are in the house we eat them although I am resisting them now and giving them away if they bring them, they havent been so bad lately, they are one sure thing to bring on burning and stinging with me. white flour scones and pancakes are another.

Baking soda is that bicarbonate of soda or baking powder.

hope you continue to feel better too

• Posted

Bicarb of soda.

Its God's gift to the irritated bladder.

If you're over 65 you aren't supposed to take more than 1.5 teaspoons a day as it can raise your blood pressure. I take a glass after dinner and sip it until I go to bed. I notice the difference right away.

Coffee, alchohol, spices, chocolate, are all bad for the bladder but sugar is the worst at least for me. Even a little bit.

My Chinese Medicine doctor said - caffeine and sugar are the biggest no no's. I

f you do have a glass of dry white wine drink 2 glasses of water, too - big ones to mitigate the sugar and/or acid from the drink.

• Posted

Vaginal Atrophy: The 21st Century Health Issue Affecting Quality of Life. this is an article in Medscape Education that says women on perimenopause can experience periodic bouts of vaginal atrophy.

its very informative. I hope you can pull it up.

• Posted

i have had clotrimazole pessary but used canestan cream and never had any issues if the pain is bad u can ask your doctor for the oral fluconazole i took them and didnt have any side effects from them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.