Vanessa's Exercise

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Vanessa,

How is it going?

I'm finding it really hard to get motivated at the moment. I did pul rehab and more than doubled my walking distance so they referred me on to the main gym. I did really well there too - but then two more doctor's referrals came through which clashed with the gym times. I tried to change one or t'other but couldn't... so I went out and bought two machines. Then I promptly came down with a stomach bug so couldn't use either!!!

Now, once more, there's nothing to stop me but I'm just not getting onto the damned things... I came to your thread because I read it once before and it inspired me to have the success I had...

I know from your successes how much I need to be doing this but something went out of me with the last 'interruption' and I've just not got it back yet.

Does anyone else do exercise?

I started this new thread because I wanted to leave your other thread for your updates.

Love and thoughts,

Stitch

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there Stitch,

Like you I found Vanessa's thread to be inspirational and I moved my lardy butt and went to pulmonary rehab. I got fitter and faster and was determined to keep it up. And I did for quite some time. Then I had problems returning to work and they kept me sat at a desk for 8 weeks - not really easy to exercise in a room which contains four teams of workers and 2 teams of administrative staff and is very overcrowded with desks. The building is in the middle of an industrial estate and I found it too far for me to walk anywhere, so didn't. By the time I got home, stiff with sitting and tired, I could not motivate myself so I have gradually slipped back. My mind is willing and I often plan a series of exercises to get back into it but then my body says \"don't bother, I'm tired\". I advise others not to let it go but have not followed my own advice. Stupid really.

I realise it is not fair but I am going to blame Van. I need her to keep us all updated to keep me motivated. Come on Vanessa - fight the good fight and take us along with you!!!:tennis: :ski: :football:

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Oh, well said Jacee!!

I related to every word in your post.

I promise, if Van leads us on and you have a go, I will too. I know it might sound daft, but if there's a time at lunchtime when you could go for a walk or do some exercise, I'll match it if you like?

Anything that helps...

Stitch

• Posted

Stitch I would love to. However, even the thought of competition (which usually motivates me) doesn't help here. I get out of puff walking from my car (disabled bay next to the front door) to the lift, pant all the way up, then get gasping again going from the lift to my desk. If I went for a walk they would need to send a rescue team out for me. Honestly, they don't let me go to the kitchen to make my own coffee because I look so ill by the time I get back! However, I did manage a few minutes of each of the pulmonary rehab exercises and this is what I need to get back to. Not quite brave enough to \"clean windows\" and \"sit to stand\" to the point of gasping in front of colleagues though! And I really am exhausted by the time I get home so I don't know what I can do. I must do the exercises on a morning (when I am pushed for time) but this wipes me out for the day, or on an evening, when I am already cream-crackered. Perhaps I should do half and half?

Jacee

• Posted

Hi Jacee,

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to suggest competition - crikey, I've not yet managed a full minute on the exercise bike so I'd surely lose anyway!

I remember those working days which left not a single ounce of energy after work, it just took everything I'd got, even to get dressed in the morning... and that walk from car to to desk... oh dear...

What was the half and half reference - morning and night? I liked Van's suggestion of doing something with each set of tv advertising - just in little two minute slots throughout the evening.

Stitch

• Posted

Hi Stitch and Jacee,

Must admit I couldn't be accused of over exerting myself lately either :oops: .

I was a bit stop start with it all for two or three weeks when I was waiting for my scan, and then since getting the official all clear from the GP last Friday, I started with the migraine and that was that. If I'm honest I could have started up again in the last couple of days, but like you have both said, once you stop its really hard to get started again. I really have no excuse now, as I do have both the time and the equipment. I seem to have lost the 'oomph' , yet I know full well from past experience that once I do that first day, I will get back into the swing of it and my 'oomph' will return.

Weighing myself should have been enough to give me the incentive - I've regained 8lbs in just four weeks! Unbelievable! Admittedly, when I stopped exercising I stopped dieting too - got that 'what's the point of it all' feeling. All the same, it does worry me to think I might have to spend the rest of my days living pretty much like a hamster running on a wheel if I'm to get anywhere near my fitness potential or regain anything resembling a 'figure'.

I'm turfing out cupboards today - slowly getting organized for that move and downsize I'm dreaming of, so I will class that as todays exercise - wouldn't have the energy to do both!

I think my way forward will be to say ' under oath' to you that I will at least do the best six minute walk I can on the dreadmill tomorrow a.m. and run through the pulmo rehab routine in the afternoon - that way I should be ok and in the mood for doing my mile etc. on Sunday, I know once I get started I will wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

Hope this finds you both well - its great to see everyone posting so much and some 'new arrivals' here too! I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone big time on Sat / Sun when I will have more time to spare,

Love to you both, Vanessa XX

• Posted

Now I know how frustrated Carole must get. I have replied to this twice and lost it somehow.

Van, I know what you mean about weight gain, I had put on another 8lbs the last time I got weighed at the hospital (I would NEVER weigh myself at home - ostrich method). I sometimes have to go to Court and so have to keep buying a new suit (4 so far this year - one only worn once before I outgrew it). I have now bought one that is slightly too big (yes, there is such a thing!) and the feeling I get when I have to hitch up the trousers is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Stitch, I am very competitive.

I HEREBY PROMISE TO TRY TO DO AT LEAST TWO PULMONARY EXERCISES EACH MORNING AND TWO EACH EVENING UNTIL I CAN DO THEM ALL AGAIN.

My morning exercises will be at about 6:15 and my evening ones at about 8:30. If anyone wants to join me they are very welcome.

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Okay. I managed 1 minute 22 seconds lifting a hand weight (which is very heavy as it is part of my son's weight lifting gear). Then I did 1 minute 20 of the \"Cossack\" (arms folded high and twisting side to side) then decided I ought to move my legs so did 1 minute 2 seconds of sit to stand. Not much, but a beginning.

(seem to have lost my name again)

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Hi Jacee, well you've put me to shame - all I did was watch Stephen Fry while eating choc eclair sweets :oops:

By the way, I sent you a PM a while ago - are you still able to pick them up? If not I will e mail you over the weekend, Love Van X

• Posted

Saturday a.m.

1 minute step; 1' 30 on hand weights; 1' 20 doing the \"Peter Pan Pose\" (hands on hips and turn upper body only from side to side).

Although I am competitive, I shan't feel bad when Van does much more than me - it is all relative and I know I am exerting myself almost to my maximum level, which gives a lovely feeling of satisfaction and a job well done. I am already feeling brighter and fitter. May be psychological but it still counts.

Jacee

• Posted

It's infectious, isn't it? smile

I did ten minutes on a power tek machine (but you can hardly call that effort!) - although I did put in some slow squats (maybe about 5) and did both calfs.

Followed by about two mins on bike. Haven't sorted timer on it yet cos still don't know how to set it properly.

Stitch

• Posted

OOPS! I'm still behind both of you - couldn't get to sleep last night and didn't wake 'till 10am. I've been sat here with my coffee and toast catching up with this mornings post. Promise I'm on the treadmilll soon as breakfasts gone down! Well done to both of you for your mornings exertions!

I have just been doing a fairly long PM to a lady who had some great news to share .... but I shall do a new thread for that! :wink: Big smiles and love, it's a great weekend here on planet Earth because ......... see new thread

• Posted

Well done Stitch. We all KNOW we feel better for exercising so I wonder why we are so reluctant to do it? I think it is because it just takes so much more effort when you have COPD, leaving you feeling like you have just run a marathon (the ones that come in later and collapse as they cross the line!).

Van, your post is intrigue. Can't wait to read the new thread.

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Hi Jacee, Stitch,

In fairness to ourselves, even 'non-copd'ers' tend to procrastinate when it comes to exercise, and they all say the same - that once you get started you're glad you did.

Anyhow, thanks to you girls, I am now getting my mo-jo back - intended to do six minutes treadmill but started enjoying it so extended it to twelve minutes. Have to admit, if it wasn't for reading your exercise posts this morning I would have put it off for yet another day. So there we go - we are on our way! I will run through some rehab exercises later this afternoon after chores are done.

Don't forget - music helps big time. While I would describe myself as middle aged hippie (Pink Floyd, Dylan, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen etc) I tend to go for 'pop' on the treadmill - Orbison's Pretty Woman, The Archies 'Sugar Sugar' , Queen's 'Fat bottom Girls' and that 'Don't worry - Be Happy' song were todays selection. Puts me in quite a cheerful mood for the day and sets me a good walk pace.

8) Stay cool girls! Love Van X

• Posted

Hi Van, I was very Pink Floyd/Stones until my eldest son hit \"grottage\" (teenage) and began to listen to heavy metal. I LOVE most of it so now I exercise to WASP, Metallica and Iron Maiden and the time just flies by!

Jacee

• Posted

'Morning Jacee

Just about to hit the treadmill - I can see that heavy metal could well get one in the mood for exercise - but being so obviously out of touch I must admit I haven't a clue who 'WASP' are !

A few weeks ago I dusted off my old 'Tubular Bells' album of all things - decided to do what I call 'movement to music' for a change. Not something I would do in public I admit! Ranged from dancing like an elephantine ballerina to a stomping half squatting Sumo! Great fun though - just moved, stretched or stomped my bod around in response to however the music grabbed me. Restrictive factor was my hose only being 4ft long - I hung my 02 'shoulder bag' from my bike handlebars and managed to move just that metre or so away in each direction, then gave up and did slower movements without it, just returning to it sporadically when breathless. It's the one time that my chosen style of 02 delivery fails me, and then I wish I had a nice long hose going through the house !

Love to all at the Jacee household, Van X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.