Varicocele

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have been aware of a large mass around 2cm in size amongst the vanes of my left testicle since around the age of 14. I am now 21 and the 'extra testicular' lump is still there and has recently become accompanied by a smaller softer lump higher in the scrotum, coupled with an aching and generally uncomfortable feeling. This prompted me to visit my GP*, and I was sent for an ultrasound examination. I was told that the large mass was a varicocele and the smaller softer lump was filled with fluid which formed as a result of the generally poor circulation around the testicle. However, I was not told of the ways in which this may influence my fertility in the future, and I'm worried that the longer I leave it to have the vanes repaired, the lower the chances of successfully restoring testicular function.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had the surgery to repair such a problem, and why the surgery was necessary.

*I was very embarrassed about going to see the doctor about such an issue and put off the visit and worried about the lump for almost 7 years. In hindsight, I wish I had gone to my GP sooner. The doctor was fantastic and it wasn't embarrassing in the slightest. The ultrasound took 2 minutes at most and it settled 7 years of worry about what the lump may be there and then.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have had the same problem since I was in my 30's , I am now 46. It affected many areas of my life...I finally started using natural remedies, I dipped my testicles in Tea tree Oil 2 times, I saw marked improvement after the first time , and after the second time my testicles felt better than they have in years, the  aching and generally uncomfortable feeling is gone,. they do not hang as low, and the small cyst like bumps are almost gone. I also started taking butcher's broom root capsules which is good for varicose veins.. but the Tea Tree Oil helped so much I wanted to share and encourage others to try it. The tea tree oil is antibacterial and can travel through the walls of the skin into the testicle and really clean and sooth them.I do not believe it can cause any harm, its feels warm but not unbearable, even good in a way. If you are worried test a bit first before fully soaking them..but the full soak for about 5 -10 minutes is what helped me the most.

Good luck.....

• Posted

Hi neal61004,

your experience with Tea Tree Oil for varicocele interests me very much. Did you use pure, undiluted tea tree oil? Where did you hear about this treatment? I have been unable to find anything about it on the internet. I would like to try it, but want to be sure that it is safe. I would be grateful to hear from you and any information or advice you might have. Thank you!

• Posted

hello, can you please give more detail. Thank you
    • Posted

HI c995, I did try it. First undiluted, then diluted, for maybe around 10 minutes. It felt good, somehow refreshing. I didn't notice a difference in terms of the varicocele, but only did this very short experiment. I would need to try it for longer and more often. 
    • Posted

so basically it didnt remove the aching pain ro the draggin feeling?and did you come across anything that helped? 
    • Posted

I don't have aching pain or dragging feeling, just very large varicocele (swollen veins). I wouldn't draw any conclusions since I just tried the tea tree oil very briefly, I don't think I tried it enough to judge whether it is effective.
    • Posted

I haven't tried any other methods since then either. 
  • Edited

I had varicocele embolization done 5 years ago on the nhs. Excellent procedure got rid of my pain and swelling. Definitely recommended it!
    • Posted

Interesting. 

I'm currently weighing up having an embolisation. I have a very mild varicocele, it causes me discomfort every now and then, although I'd never describe it as pain. My dilemma is that I only have one testicle. One urologist has refused to perform Microsurgical Varicocelectomy because of the risk factors although another has offered to. The one that won't is recommending just leaving it, or if not then get the embolisation. I have read a few horror stories about the procedure but also some like yours that have been successful... apparently leaving it can have long term effects and with just one I naturally want to protect what I've got. 

It's a difficult conundrum. 

• Posted

Hi Jack, I can see what a difficult conundrum you are in. Have you had your sperm count checked? If it's good and it's only causing pain every now and then you might be better off delaying treatment and monitoring the situation regularly. As for treatment options I had the surgery first and the varicocele reoccured. I also had a difficult recovery after the surgery. I don't believe the micro surgery is as safe as they make out. I personally wouldn't risk the surgery in your situation. The embolization was much easier no pain or discomfort and luckily for me a much more successfull procedure. I haven't had any issues or complications since. I did a lot of research and spoke to a few urologists and people who had the embolization successfully so I decided to go for it and I don't regret it. That been said I think you're doing the right thing not rushing into anything, you need to really weigh everything up and decide what's best for you. Best wishes
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Tom...

I have had my count checked three times. 6, 4 and as recently as December 20th... 9mil.

Thats pretty much what two of the three urologists I've seen have recommended... I would have had the embolisation done by now had it not been for a few negative stories I heard through searches online, mainly linked to the coils but the nature of these things is that you only really hear the negative stories and not all the successes like yours... I am on the list for the treatment and could have it within a month, I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing as unlike most I don't have an insurance of a second testicle. 

I've certainly taken a lot of confidence from your success. We're trying at the moment so I may just delay and monitor and then if I'm not happy, bite the bullet and take the embolisation. 

Very grateful for your response, it's been a big help. 

• Posted

hey jack i was wondering if you ever went through with the embolization and if you did how did it go? im considering going through with it myself. thank you !
    • Edited

Hey Jon. Yes I did. It went ok... I havent been back to get another sample tested. My partner and I had become a bit obsessive and it was really becoming unhealthy for us so we've made a decision to curb that and to put the family thing on hold for a while...

The only caveat which I feel I should mention is that I have since developed discomfort in what you may call the saddle area (between your bum and balls). This has been attributed to Prostatitis by my doctor and it's a "manageable" condition. Now I displayed some very mild symptoms of this beforehand and it seems to have gotten worse since although they cant say whether this has been because of the embo or whether it's just got worse by itself... Ive never heard of any link between the two, nobody has ever reported this issue so I honestly dont think it's a universal issue... Just a massive coincidence perhaps... If you asked me would I do it again if I could turn back the clock I'd say no because Ive been on quite an emotional and psychological rollercoaster with this whole issue since January when I got it done, but at the time I was determined not to just leave it... I would say of your varicocele is small and does not trouble you Id leave it... If it is more significant and is causing discomfort then get it done... Mine wasnt at all I just didnt want to live with it anymore.

• Posted

I am have varicocele and i will appreciate it if you can walk me through how you had it done.I am 43 years and Azoospermic.However, after surgery,they discovered sperm in my system and even retrieved it but it didnt survive the storage conditions.
    • Posted

I had the embolisation... Simple procedure, no pain, I was out of hospital before lunch time...
    • Edited

Hi, it was quite a long time ago now but I will do my best. I had initially had conventional surgery but annoyingly the varicocele reoccurred so the urologist recommended embolization. The procedure itself was painless. You just lie down on the bed and are given light sedation but you remain awake throughout. The procedure for me lasted about an hour and the radiologist used the X-ray machine to guide a catheter into the vein that needs to be embolized. They started off in my leg. They then dropped in the coils. I spent the next few hours in the hospital and was discharged in the evening. It took about six months for the varicocele to completely deflate but I started feeling a lot better after a few months. I'm just hoping it won't return!

• Posted

Hi Jack, how is everything any updates? Hope all is well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.