Varicocele

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have been aware of a large mass around 2cm in size amongst the vanes of my left testicle since around the age of 14. I am now 21 and the 'extra testicular' lump is still there and has recently become accompanied by a smaller softer lump higher in the scrotum, coupled with an aching and generally uncomfortable feeling. This prompted me to visit my GP*, and I was sent for an ultrasound examination. I was told that the large mass was a varicocele and the smaller softer lump was filled with fluid which formed as a result of the generally poor circulation around the testicle. However, I was not told of the ways in which this may influence my fertility in the future, and I'm worried that the longer I leave it to have the vanes repaired, the lower the chances of successfully restoring testicular function.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had the surgery to repair such a problem, and why the surgery was necessary.

*I was very embarrassed about going to see the doctor about such an issue and put off the visit and worried about the lump for almost 7 years. In hindsight, I wish I had gone to my GP sooner. The doctor was fantastic and it wasn't embarrassing in the slightest. The ultrasound took 2 minutes at most and it settled 7 years of worry about what the lump may be there and then.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi all and thanks for sharing your experiences!

I'm 21 and have had a varicocele for about 10 years now (from what I can gather it's considered a grade III as it consists of a number of rather enlarged veins around my left testicle that are visible through my scrotum). I seem to be rather lucky as it's never caused any pain or discomfort and my testicle has developed correctly and is normal in size.

I've seen both my GP and my urologist regarding treatment to lessen, if not fix entirely, the visual appearance of the veins as find them unsightly due to their size. My urologist recommended embolization as the best treatment option as it's the least invasive with the highest success rate and he felt confident that the outward appearance could be improved.

However, upon consulting the radiologist whom I was referred to, he claimed that none of the available procedures (embolization or surgical) could correct the outward appearance of the varicocele. I found this slightly odd as I was under the impression that if the valve that wasn't functioning correctly was sealed the blood would be drained through the remaining healthy ones and the pooling of blood in the veins around my testicle would stop. I'm wondering if it's the size and/or amount of enlarged veins I have (about the size of a small pingpong ball) that would make treatment to fix their appearance unviable.

I've attempted to research this but most articles pertain to fertility and/or pain but not on the actual reduction of vericocele size. I will be going back to my urologist for clarification but I figured that some personal experiences from others who have undergone similar procedures might help educate me a bit.

Basically what I am curious about is if anyone has had embolization that has successfully reduced the size of the enlarged veins. Also, I am a bit worried after reading some horror stories about the platinum coils used but I feel that those individuals may have had a severe allergic reaction to them. I found it slightly concerning but I still would feel confident going through with the procedure.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Kyler

• Edited

Yeah the veins will deflate and no longer fill. Mine used to be really bad especially after weight training. I'm not sure about allergic reactions. I suppose any operation will carry risks. That being said you are probably more likely to hear bad stories online then good. I did a fair amount of research into embolization before and spoke to many people who had had success with it. It's a very common procedure. 

• Posted

Hey, i'm 14 and im quite unsure if I have a varicocele.

It feels although I do and it has for a while however I have not experienced any pain.

Is there any other problem I could be experiencing ? ? ? 

• Edited

I had pain in both my testicles; mainly left testicle and pain was in sitting or sleeping face-up position. I saw many doctors going through different diagnoses. One diagnosis was Varicocele and then doctor suggested to get high dose and long term intake of antibiotic that didn't work. Then another doctor suggested doppler ultrasound confirming worm-like veins or varicocele. I did ultrasound in another center again and a surgeon performed open surgery to cut those veins. Pain was not reduced. Then I was sent to a pain center and another doctor suggested a sort of nerve blocking in an advanced surgery and he showed the results with low success rate. I thought risk was nor worth it. Long story short, I left USA and went to my country and I realized pain disappeared! coming back to USA pain started again! I did some research and realized every location in the world has its own microbes and perhaps my body is not performing well in my new residence. I tried couple of Probiotics to introduce microbes to myself and happily my pain decreased from pain 8 out of ten to 2 out of ten or even better. I also forgot to mention I had constipation and I think it caused the pain in testicles by pressing the nerves and probiotics helped me to eliminate constipation and then secondary symptom which was varicocele. It worked for me and I truly know how painful varicocele can get and my suggestion for sure worth trying. Good luck and I wish my experience can be helpful. 

• Edited

my vieocose vein in teste shrinks my balls and makes them tight will surgery help with bloodflow and make them hang better

• Posted

I would like to hear from anyone who has had the surgery to repair such a problem, and why the surgery was necessary.

I was very embarrassed about going to see the doctor about such an issue and put off the visit and worried about the lump for almost 7 years. In hindsight, I wish I had gone to my GP sooner. The doctor was fantastic and it wasn't embarrassing in the slightest. The ultrasound took 2 minutes at most and it settled 7 years of worry about what the lump may be there and then.

• Posted

i know your pain. i am 58 and this is weird to me and my pain is so sharp at times. i know at this age i shouldnt feel awkward but i do. My wife even noticed it and i do let her know but i have pain with ejaculation. I posted asking for any wisdom from any of you guys. thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.