Venlafaxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've had a year of severe depression and have been on venlafaxine 75 for 8 weeks and 150 for 6 weeks. The 75 didn't do a thing but ever since I went to 150 I feel drugged, I can do things that need doing like work but when I sit down I just want to sleep. I'm also on concerta and take Modifanil for tiredness, neither of these are helping. My mood is still low and I have a 'can't be bothered ' attitude to everything

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Geraldine,

Maybe talk to your doc about getting on a stabilizer med with the ven. Like Abilify or wellbutrin. Or you may need a totally different depression med all together. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I was on venlafaxine for about 20 years until last year when my GP mistakenly did a taper to Sertraline. It was a nightmare and I haven't feel right since. The GP keeps saying Venlafaxine is ok for me as I was on it but it was only when I came off I realised how tired and unmotivated it had made me. I hate myself for going back on. In the uk docs will not prescribe two AD's. I saw a psychiatrist who increased me to 150 and said she didn't need to see me again. Would 225 ease the tiredness or do you think I need to lower the dose? Thanks

• Posted

I am in the UK and the psychiatrist gave me venlafaxine (225mg) with mirtazapine (30mg) and the combination has been very successful for me. I also have had very few side-effects, but I do appreciate how lucky I am!
    • Posted

I was surprised when the psychiatrist said she wouldn't need to see me again. My GP said there's nothing else to try which isn't what I want to hear!

• Posted

Perhaps you can go back to your GP with some recommendations from people on the forum. I know how frustrating and disheartening it can be trying to pull yourself out of depression. I've also had counselling and CBT which has helped. It's enabled me to find my own coping mechanisms, but I know I wouldn't have been able to it without the medication.

• Posted

I've had about 6 weeks of psychotherapy which I hate as he doesn't speak. He's been off sick since beginning of August and I'm so glad! My current mood is that I don't want to do anything and just don't care.

• Posted

Hi Geraldine.

Depression and tiredness go hand-in-hand. The unhappier you are the more the need for sleep.

It's exhausting I know..

• Posted

I just feel like it's a 'drugged' tiredness if that makes sense. I'm so fed up, I've had a year of been handed a new prescription and told to come back in a month. Not sure if going up to 225 will lift my mood or it will be another 2 months wasted. It's so frustrating

• Posted

Sad thing is we are governed by what our doctors tell us.

I've come to the realisation antidepressants have stopped working for me now. I need to find other solutions to help lift my mood. Small steps.. Diet and exercise for one thing. Ridding the negative out of my life. X

• Posted

Up to a year ago I exercised about 5 nights a week. Haven't done a thing this year but don't have the energy or the will. I feel as though I'm waiting to die

• Posted

I know that feeling. I get up each morning because of my children. It's a big world out there and it's to be lived. We have to find a reason to smile. Being around the right people help. Not those who suck your energy or have little knowledge of who you are as a person.

• Posted

My sons are my only reason I'm here but they're all in their 20's and will eventually leave home. I've been avoiding people for a year, at work I'm fine but apt to disappear inside my own bubble, at home I'm alone all the time but have no wish to see people

• Posted

It's easier to disassociate yourself with others in order to protect yourself. I'm the first to prefer my own company. But I will go to a coffee shop and flick through the paper. Another temptation is to get a dog. Then I'd have to go out! But with three cats it's not going to happen.

What happens when your work colleagues ask you to join them on a night out? X

• Posted

I always decline! I've been like this since my mum died 5 years ago but I still managed to go to exercise classes, that's stopped now, it's like I'm fading away

• Posted

Losing your mum must have been the worst thing ever. I'm so sorry for that. Did you do a lot with her?

My mum hasn't always been the best influence.

• Posted

Yes we were close, I was a single parent and she helped me so much. I lost my dad at 12 as well x
    • Posted

So you have every reason to feel sad. Your loss is palpable.

But Geraldine you have your beautiful boys and they want to see their mum happy not full of sadness. Let them be your reason to live.

💖

• Posted

Just seen this is public so changed user name 😀

• Posted

And where would they be without you.

It's grandchildren next!

Have you thought about dating again?

• Posted

I've tried dating but i prefer to be alone, besides years of Venlafaxine has seen off any libido I might have had!

• Posted

We all know how AD effect your libido! Sometimes having a male friend can help...if you can find one who understands you. Someone to share experiences with or spend time with. Someone different from the others 😉

• Posted

I have met a few but they all seem to have one track minds! I can't cope with been groped it makes me want to bite their face lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.