Venlafaxine and alcohol

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been on venlafaxine about 8 weeks now. Going on holiday do you's think I'd be ok too have a wee wine Spitzer or 2. Or a wee low alcohol cider. I would never go and get drunk. Has anyone had bad experiences taking alcohol on this antidepressant xxx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have never had a problem having a couple of alcoholic drinks while taking venlafaxine,drink a glass of water in between .
    • Posted

Thanks for that. Not had an alcoholic drink in months but would like too have a wee wine Spitzer on holiday xx
  • Posted

I've had beer and wine on the weekends - no odd side effects. Same as you - never drunk. 

• Posted

Thanks for getting back too me I just would like too have a wee wine Spitzer just too chill on holiday xxx
  • Posted

I have awful side effects if I drink but I'm really sensitive to the medication. If I remove even just one ball from the capsule I get withdrawal. I think it's mentioned to avoid alcohol but you'll have to see how you feel.

• Posted

I too have struggled to have a fizzy pop and not feel that great. I think it depends on the individual. See how you get on. Enjoy your holiday with out without pop.
  • Posted

Hi Karen,  I have been on Venlafaxine for a couple of years and never had a problem having a drink, like others I've never been drunk.  Have a couple and see how you feel.  Have an awesome holiday

• Posted

Thanks Jennifer for your reply i might not even have a drink I've actual got the fear in case it makes me I'll. But the nurses have told me there's nothing too stop me having a small alcoholic drink occasionally xxx

• Posted

Can i just ask how your getting on with the venlafaxine I'm on 75mg twice a day xxx

• Posted

Cant see the harm in moderation. I dont drink though, makes me feel depressed afterwards.
    • Posted

Yeah that's what was happening too me on mitrazapine thought maybe this one could be different. As I said I'd never ever get drunk it was just too be socialable on holiday with others. Xxx thanks for your reply

• Posted

Hi Karen

I am taking the extended release version which means I only take the dose of 187 mg a day. I have been taking it a year now for chronic pain, anxiety and depression. The antidepressant has been a game changer for me. It has given me back my life and working in conjunction with gabapentin it has not only given me better control with my pain, but also with the anxiety and depression.

• Posted

That's great I'm glad too say it's got me back too work and back too the way I was before. I am very nervous it comes back though xxxx

• Posted

Joanna are you sleeping ok I'm struggling with my sleeping which then leads too anxiety because I'm struggling with sleep 😥

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.