Venlafaxine and amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, I was wondering if there is anyone taking ven and amitriptyline? The doctor has gave me the amitriptyline to take at night, 1 pill 10mg to try help with sleeping, I’m just a little worried because they are both antidepressants, I’m a born worrier (anxiety doesn’t help) just looking for some reassurance 😊

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Claire, my GP has done the same. It is a very low dose and is given more as a relaxant to aid sleep. Please don't worry.

• Posted

Thanks Joanna, was just a bit worried because both are antidepressants, they are helping me get some sleep, and doctor did say it’s more a sedative than a sleeping pill x
  • Posted

I was briefly on 75mg venlafaxine and 10mg amitriptyline. I was concerned after reading the information leaflet about the risk of serotonin syndrome, but I took them both for a month and had no problems.
    • Posted

Thank you Shaun I hadn’t heard of serotonin syndrome I used doctor google, and thankfully I have none of they side effects but will no what to look out for now. X
  • Posted

I wouldn't worry about that at all once I was on 2 antidepressant too for sleep citalopram and mitrazapine xxx

• Posted

Like Claire, I too at one point was taking ecitalopram and mirtazapine until I gained too much weight and then changed to venlafaxine with amitriptyline to help me sleep if I want it.
    • Posted

Yeah I was the same I gained over 2 n a bit stone in a year was awful went too slimming world stuck too plan but still kept putting on weight xx
    • Posted

Me too Claire I didn't want too have too take pills too make me better. But I suffered so much trying too not too take any. I'm such a worrier too 😘x

• Posted

Girls I have gained so much weight too, I’ve been on antidepressants for 20 years now and my weight hasn’t been to much of an issue, but lately I’m just piling it on. I wonder if it’s the ven? Xx
    • Posted

Sorry should have said, i was on fluoxetine for years, then in venlafaxine for the last 3 years x
    • Posted

I've been in them 16 years now. Still get wee flare ups now and again. But had a really tough time about 3 months ago. I was on mitrazapine and piled on the weight. I've lost 5lb of it but it's took me 3 months xx

• Posted

Hi Claire

yes I'm also taking both meds. Absolutely no problems.

• Posted

hi Sara thank you, ive been on both just over a month now, and im doing ok im just a worrier by nature. so hearing others succsess stories help me lots lol x

• Posted

Have you noticed any difference in the way you feel? I feel my sleep has improved.

Its okay to worry and feel concerned. Especially being given something new to try. x

• Posted

hi sara, i feel my anxiety has improved a bit. my sleep still isnt great, but it is better than it was, each night im getting probs an hour or 2 more sleep. what about uou have you seen improvement? x

• Posted

Hi Claire

yes, it does give me a slightly better sleep. Im not going to increase the dose if i can help it. I Hope to be free of meds altogether one day.

Ive been taking antideperessants for too many years.

• Posted

this is exactly how i feel. im roughly 20 years on and off antidepressants. and would love to one day be medication free. im only on the 10 mg amitriptiline. and wont go any higher feel just now im doing ok. they make might a bit groggy in the morn. only down side x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.