Venlafaxine - Good and then bad day - Please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, my dose was increased 6 days ago to 150mg.  Up until today things were improving, my appetite was back, I had more energy and felt an awful lot better but today it's gone backwards again, I don't understand why this would happen.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi 

This has always been what I experienced with all anti depression drugs they would help for a few days then I would crash back down again, been like this for the last 32 years for me hence I have now come off all my meds they just make things worse for me as also get the mist awful side affects as well. To be completely honest I would rather just put up with feeling depressed and anxious than take them drugs and fell even worse. For some people they really help but not for me. I think 32 years is long enough with these bloody pills just had enough now. I'm trying alternative meds now just started a herbal remedy on Saturday so going to see how that goes. Iv finally learnt that antidepressants just ain't for me 

• Posted

Hi Michael.  Well I have been on anti depressants for over 20 years, but you have taken them even longer.

On my doctor's advice I stopped latest anti depressant.  Depression has always returned in the past, but after 16 months without medication, I am doing OK.  Get ups and downs and anxiety

You are right 32 years is long enough.  I too am trying supplements, and herbal remedies.  Let us hope we can manage our depression drug free.  I feel you are a kindred spirit.

• Posted

Hi Anne 

Thanks so much for what you said that's really sweet of you and it nice to know that someone else is trying to be med free. Ps I have got a appointment with a herbalist today so will see how it goes. Be nice to keep in contact with each other about our progress xx

• Posted

I just went to health food shop and chemist and got herbal remedies over counter.I am interested to know what the herbalist recommends.  I am finding these tablets are helping. 

Take care and keep in touch

• Posted

Recovery from depression always has it's ups and downs, I know it's disheartening but you need to give the increased dose a few weeks to take effect, if you can possible stick it out that long. There will always be people on this site who tell you that antidepressants haven't worked for them, but you need to take your doctor's advice and stick to it. Venlafaxine has worked well for me, with minimal side effects. The psychiatrist always warned be to expect good patches and bad patches. Believe me, I do understand how you feel. Look after yourself, and don't be hard on yourself. It does take time, but take encouragement from the improvement you've already had.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response.  I won't be stopping the medication.  I just don't understand it, I would have thought that if the medication had started to work, and it wasn't placebo because I was convinced that I wouldn't see any improvement for weeks, I don't get why it would get worse again, you'd think each day you take the extra dose there would be an incremental improvement? 
    • Posted

Unfortunately in my experience it doesn't work that way, you still get good days and bad days. All you can do really is try not to worry about the bad days, because that makes them feel worse. I know its difficult.
  • Posted

Yes I had a major crash and uped my venlafaxine. It's been a few weeks and I started to feel better but the last couple of days have been bad again . Starting to wonder if they are not working for me now after 7 years on them. Hot sweats have started again and feel nauseous and panicky! Have back pawing at the moment and that's not helping!
    • Posted

Did the doctor advise you to up your venlafaxine? Perhaps you need to tell him/her what has happened and how you are feeling? As I mentioned in my previous post there are always ups and downs. I still have bad days sometimes but I'm generally ok. CBT helped me to work out my best coping mechanisms to get me through the down times.
  • Posted

I was on 150mg for many years.  You will get good and bad days as I think that is probably quite common with all antidepressants, and I have been on a lot of different ones over many years.

Keep taking the tablets if you feel they are helping.  Expect "blips"

• Posted

Thank you Anne.  I just don't understand why after a few days I felt completely back to normal and then my mood goes backwards again.  Just trying to understand how the drugs work I suppose.  I really thought I was on the mend.
    • Posted

Give the increased dose a bit more time.  Your body is till adjusting to the increase.  Let us know if you feel   better in a few weeks.  If not, perhaps you need higher dose, or that medication is just not helping.  Perhaps it is a case of that anti depressant not the right one for you
  • Posted

Geno07717, Just wanted to check in and see how you are. I have just recently increased my dos to 150mg. My appetite has been off for around 3-4 weeks now. My energy levels are balancing out and my sleep is improving.

If you dont speak to you again before have a greta christmas

• Posted

Hi Jimmy, good to hear from you.  No change for me which is making me terribly scared that it's not gong to work. Mood still very low.  Keep having to tell myself that I've been on the increased dose for less than two weeks and everyone thinks that it's not going to work until it does.  It being Christmas knowing everyone else is happy and enjoying themselves makes it worse I'm sure.  My appetite is still bad, wish I had some interest in eating as it would be one less thing to worry about.  Anyway, enough of my ramblings.  I'm really glad things are moving in the right direction for you Jimmy.  Happy Christmas to you x
    • Posted

Keep fighting thru. And if you need to talk over christmas Im always around
    • Posted

I have been on venlafaxine 150mg for 2 months.  I still do not have a good appetite.  I am sleeping a maximum of 2 hours of broken sleep. My mood did improve but the lack of sleep is causing my mood to drop drastically.  
    • Posted

I came off Effexor last year.  Like Michael said above, anti depressants help to a certain extent, but do not make depression go away completely.  I had a few good episodes when I was really bright, but other times I was down, and always in the mornings, despite being on anti depressants. 

Michael feels if the anti depressants do not help alleviate depression, we might as well not take them.  You have only been on the Venlafaxine for a short time, so hopefully things will improve for you.  I am try to do without.  Have ups and downs. 

Yes lack of sleep will make you feel worse.  I have never slept well.  If you do not feel any improvement in a few weeks, poerhaps the Venlafaxine is not helping.  There will always be side effects with anti depressants.  It is a matter of whether you can tolerate them because they are easing your depression, or whether you feel that drug is not for you.

Warning, if you do come off Venlafaxine, take it slowky, as the withdrawals can be bad, but as you have only taken a short while, you should be OK.

I do hope you feel some imorovement soon.  Stick with it, and see how yoiu go.  Let us know how you get on.  I am sure you will soon feel the benefit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.