Venlafaxine lack.of sleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can i ask if anyone who has been on venlafaxine if they have had too add something else by the physciatrist too help with sleep. Just wondering I've got the physciatrist in 2 weeks and hoping they can give me something the go has gave me sleeping tablets but I know they won't keep giving me them . Can't not sleep 😭

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen, I remember you came off Mirtazapine. They have kept mine so I can sleep before my depression improves. I am only on 15mg (I half my 30mg tablet so it’s not as sedative as 15mg itself). I tend to wake up at least 2x during the night but can get back to sleep. When I was on Sertraline and struggled to sleep my Gp told me to take Piriton tablet before bed and it helped me to fall asleep so you could try that.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply I've got an appointment with a consultant at the hospital end of month I just hope they can give me something because if they don't I will just crash I can go without sleep for a day or 2 but no more it's just not normal. Surely they will help me xxx

• Posted

I am sure they will! Please let us know what did they suggest. My sleep is not the best due to still being depressed but I hope it improves. My sleep wasn’t too bad before I started all those meds...
    • Posted

My sleep was ok too before it's driving me nuts now xx

• Posted

Same here!  I use to keep hitting the snooze on my alarm & oversleep for work.  Now I’m up well before the alarm. 

• Posted

Just too let you know I finally had my appointment they have suggested too use a antihistamine too try n see how I get on I'm picking it up tomorrow but won't be using it every day xx

• Posted

Hi Karen, I have been having problems too for the past 3 years or so I must get on average 3-4 hours sleep waking up about 5 times a night! Every few months I get zopiclone 3.75mg  6 tablets! And they are supposed to keep me going for another 3 or 4 months! I know people who are getting sleeping pills for a bad back, I don’t understand why my doctor won’t give me the for anxiety every night! I’m at my wits end functioning the next day is almost impossible and because I feel so drained the next day I feel it gives me very low mood. Hope you gets something sorted as we all need sleep! Research says it’s really for our health not to get enough sleep! Sending love and wishing you luck ❤️
    • Posted

One gp gave me a pack of 28 about 6 weeks ago and I've got 15 left I've been trying too stretch them out too. I've got mental health later in this month I just hope they can give me something because I can't go on with n9 sleep for days. I will just crash again n have too go n get help again 😭

• Posted

Hiya 👋 yes my dose has slowly been upped to 300mg on the slow release 

• Posted

Does it help with depression? Have been on Ven for 5 weeks and today my doc has upped me to 225. I also take a small dose of Mirtazapine at night but I still wake up a few times...x
    • Posted

Alan, i use a benzo, diazepam, and have done so throughout taking ven. This had made the whole process much easier, and my sleep is mostly okay. I would have found the whole period on ven much worse, my anxiety during the day and my sleep at night, are both much better as a result of taking it. The trouble is they are addictive, not in the sense you crave more, but you become dependant on them. I started off on 12.5mg, but as ive improved on ven, ive been able to drop to 5mg a day myself. Downside is, currently im stuck taking 5mg a day, and will have to go through unpleasant and difficult process of coming off it. Doctors dont like pescribing benzos because of this. Whether they will pescribe them, depends on the state you are in at the time. I didnt have much choice. Anti hystamines and nytol original, both help with sleep. Trouble is, i felt thick headed all next day, so didnt carry on using them. It worth giving them a try. You czn buy them over the counter. They both contain the same medication.
  • Posted

Hello, i started using diazepam just before starting ven. Ive been on ven for just over 4 months, and have recovered to a degree, from a very bad depressed state. The diazepam has made the whole process much easier, i dont think i would have coped without it. It makes sleeping so much easier, and the sleep qaulity is good. I was allowed 3 x 5mg of diazepam a day. I found 5mg made me too tired, so took half a tablet, 4 x a day. It kept my anxiety at bay during the day, and the last half a tablet before sleep, meant i havent had too many problems with sleep while on ven , no different to before my depression. As ven started to work, i reduced to 3 half tablets a day, and now im down to 2, one in the morning and at night. Even at the worst at the start, when id stayed in bed for most of the day, the diazepam meant i would sleep okay. Im stuck on 5mg of diazepam a day now, and will need to reduce this at some point, which probably isnt going to be easy. If you use them responsibly, benzos make recovering on an anti depressant easier, although you face the issue of coming off them, once you have recovered. I didnt have diazepam when i started on citalopram at the start of the year. Spent 12 weeks on it, before switching to ven, as it was making me worse. Even though i was in a much worse starting ven, the whole period on it, including sleeping, has been easier, to deal with, than when on my previous anti depressant without a benzo. For me, using a benzo while trying to recover from depression or serious anxiety, makes sense. Your pysc should be able to determine whether the benefit of using a benzo, will outweigh the issue of coming off them, once you recover. I had some sleeping issues a couple weeks ago, and didnt want to increase diazepam, so tried some nytol original, same as an anti histamine. I did sleep better, but felt thick headed the next day, so wouldnt take them again. You could give them a go. I presume that you have given up caffeine completely. If not, doing so will help you sleep. Hope some of this helps.

• Posted

Nigel you've been really helpful I took a 5mg diazapam last night and slept all.night. I didn't take a sleeping tablet I'm going too try this again tonight xx is a sleeping tablet a benzo too. Xx

• Posted

Yes they are. You must only take them if you have been pescribed them by a doctor or pysc. They are highly addictive, ie after even a short period of time, you will find it very difficult to come off them. You become completely dependant on them, and its very difficult, and even dangerous to come off them, unless you are advised by your doctor or pysc. Try breaking the 5mg tablet in half, to see if half is sufficient. You want to take as little as possible. You must only take them, if pescribed by your doctor or pysc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.