Venlafaxine withdrawal ~ how do I get through it.....

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hallo I am in the midst of yet another attempt to stop taking Venlafaxine and I've had a complete meltdown this morning which has left me feeling very anxious. I have been on 150 mg for 6 years and I really don't want to take it any more. I feel abandoned by my GP and I've tried to reduce dose myself. It's been 3 days since I had 75mg and now I feel so anxious, angry, tearful and physically shaky. 

I am wondering if other people have experienced this when reducing or trying to stop?

To be honest I feel so helpless and I don't know what to do. 

I really would value insight from other people who have or are going through this....

1 like, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I'm into my 3rd week of withdrawal, and the symptoms aren't pleasant! I'm feeling good now but the first 2 weeks werent easy, I haven't felt anxious but I got angry at the smallest things, cried for no apparent reason and i had an upset stomach and dizziness. Don't feel ur alone in this as I think what ur experiencing is common. I would suggest u see another GP, if u want to talk more u can private message me any time, take care, Gill
    • Posted

Hallo Gill, I really value you replying. I've tried several times to get off this med but every time I try this happens. I'm trying to do it whilst working & studying and I just feel so physically & emotionally awful right now. How have you managed to keep going through withdrawal? 
    • Posted

What keeps me going is thinking about losing weight and that I'm going to feel better without this drug in my system. It's maybe made it easier as I felt awful while taking it. I had no energy or motivation to do anything, i had headaches all the time, the night sweats were horrendous and I couldn't even walk up the stairs without sweating aswell. I couldn't get up before lunchtime and if I did, I felt tired and listless all day. I just decided that I couldn't feel any worse being off the medication!! Yes it was horrible for a couple of weeks but now I just wish I had done it sooner!!
    • Posted

I have put on so much weight and I hate being so overweight & having sweats. I've been neglecting myself. Eating crap food & stupidly smoking. I'm also doing training which involves doing work at local psychiatric hospital. Which has been going well and made me determined to stop taking Venlafaxine once and for all. Now I feel I've turned into some kind of wild woman...constant crying & getting angry over the most trivial things. It's just so difficult to explain to people who aren't familiar with the drug. I know I will have to go back & speak to my GP. What has helped you when symptoms have been really awful? 
    • Posted

To be honest... Sleep! But I have read that omega 3 tablets help and also an antihistimine I think it's called Benadryl. I've been trying to eat lots of fruit and veg but it's hard as I've an upset stomach! No one understands unless they have been on this drug, so these forums have been a god send, it helps to know ur not alone
    • Posted

I get disrupted sleep so then getting up in the morning & getting out to work has been hard...It is really useful to know about things that can help. I've had some lunch but feel so sick. And I want to drink lots of water. I'm really appreciating your replies Gill ~ big thank you.
    • Posted

I know how much it helps when someone replies, I posted a couple of times on here, and it's nice that people take time out of their day to reply to u. So I'm here, anytime u need, others have helped me get through it so it's my turn now!! Lol
    • Posted

Thank you Gill. Hopefully I will be able to do the same when I get through this. Going to try & sleep as just been sick and am shivery. Such a lovely sunny day here & I'm hiding under my duvet feeling hellish....
    • Posted

Try and get some sleep, and if u want to talk, just drop me a message, take care
    • Posted

Thank you Gill. If it's ok I will message you later. Have a nice afternoon & hope sun is shining where you are.
    • Posted

Of course it's ok, and no sun here, I live in scotland, it's cold and wet but that's just the usual lol
    • Posted

I live in Scotland too Gill & I know it's silly but November is always a really grey month for me here...Was a lovely sunny afternoon but I missed it as was sleeping.
    • Posted

I'm just outside edinburgh. How are u feeling since u had a sleep?
    • Posted

Got woken up by one of my cats miaowing in a distressed way as my other cat had gone outside & he was missing her....

Feeling groggy & head is sore. Am trying not to focus on yukky feelings...

I love Edinburgh ~ I lived there many moons ago...

• Posted

When I was feeling yucky, I could barely get  out of bed so rather than lying there thinking about how bad I felt I played on my tablet, I play hayday and it helped as I can talk to ppl on there too so it took my mind off it.
    • Posted

I've put on music as it helps to cheer me up. I've accepted that today is a write~off and tomorrow is a new day. I don't have to go into work first thing so will phone GP practice & make appt.

• Posted

Yep tomoro is a new day, as I said before I'm into my third week and still have good days and bad days, I was feeling good earlier but not feeling so great now, but I know that it doesn't happen overnight but I will get there eventually 
    • Posted

It's hard to explain to the outside world Gill. Sorry to hear you're not feeling so bright...I feel so sick. Like I have a hangover but strongest drink last night was a cup of tea....I was out on Friday night with my friends & had such a good time. Think I was running on adrenaline after very busy week at work & now I feel like I've crashed...

• Posted

It's funny that u said it feels like a hangover, someone else I spoke to described it the same way! I think u just need to take it easy for the rest of the night, write today off and give the docs a phone tomoro. I've heard alot of people mention Benadryl so maybe a trip to the chemist tomoro?? Also omega 3 and multi vitamins should help too 
    • Posted

My internet playing up...(BT Broadband on a go slow in village where I live) & don't think reply sent! Am definitely going to find out about Benadryl & Omega 3...
    • Posted

I was going to get Benadryl but never got around to it lol, I do have omega 3, but keep forgetting to take them!! I've read numerous ppl saying they help though, so definitely worth a try 
    • Posted

Definitely! And perhaps multi~vitamins. I've always been very good at making sure my children have multi~vitamins especially in the winter. Just not so good at looking after myself....
    • Posted

I think we are all guilty of that lol, it's time to look after yourself aswell now!!
    • Posted

So true Gill! It's all too easy to forget to look after ourselves...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.