Venlafaxine withdrawal ~ how do I get through it.....

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hallo I am in the midst of yet another attempt to stop taking Venlafaxine and I've had a complete meltdown this morning which has left me feeling very anxious. I have been on 150 mg for 6 years and I really don't want to take it any more. I feel abandoned by my GP and I've tried to reduce dose myself. It's been 3 days since I had 75mg and now I feel so anxious, angry, tearful and physically shaky. 

I am wondering if other people have experienced this when reducing or trying to stop?

To be honest I feel so helpless and I don't know what to do. 

I really would value insight from other people who have or are going through this....

1 like, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

You really cant take that much less in such a little amount of time.  It might take a couple of months or probably more to get off of them.  You have to cut down your dosage slowly and over time.  Shame on your Dr for not wanting to help you as mine was great and knew exactly what I wanted and how to do it.  I went from 150 and then 75 and have been on 37 now for a few weeks of every day to every other and my final day will be Wednesday and then hopefully I will be off.  You cant go cold turkey as I found out and many others.  Its a possessive drug and needs to be tapered off very slow over time. Please get a little more help and we are always here for you.

• Posted

Thank you for your encouraging words Leanne...I know in my head & heart I will need to do this properly & tomorrow I will phone & make appt with GP. I've felt so much better compared to when I was ill before with depression but my world just comes crashing down when I try not to be on the med...

You have done really well to reduce your dose & it really is good to see it can be done.

• Posted

We are all in this together and can help each other.  Some are farther than others in getting off these meds and we can all help each other when it comes to what to expect or how to cope.  Just dont ever give up and know you will do this.
    • Posted

Thank you Leanne. It really is making a huge difference having supportive messages from you & the other ladies who have responded. I just want to get off the med but realise I need to do it far more slowly. 
  • Posted

Lisa, I have been here before. If you are climbing the walls like I was some diazapam should help. Phone 111 and you will get an appointment at an out of hours place very quickly. They will assess you and prescribe you a low dose to counteract the horrendous withdrawal. please make that call. U dont have to suffer. Let me know how u get on x
    • Posted

Hallo Monita, thank you for advice. I've had couple of hours nap & one of my cats woke me up. He wouldn't stop miaowing & now he's in beside me. I think our pets are really perceptive when we are not feeling well. Am going to phone & make GP appt tomorrow & ask for support in reducing this med and getting off it once & for all....
  • Posted

Oh yeah I forgot to say I had read that taking diazepam can help, sorry!!
  • Posted

Me again, just reading trough other parts of ur conversations and I can honestly say when I tapered down slowly the smallest being a quarter of a 37.5 tablet as soon as my body knew it was gone the extreme withdrawal kicked in. get the diazapam.  Its the only thing that will help. I really sympathise.  I had to get off mine as I wanted a baby. Had withdrwal last aug. Preg by end of sept and had a healthy baby boy in june. Bk on venlafaxine as its the best anti d out there. But will taper down and use diazapam to come off same way as before to concieve nxt time.
    • Posted

That is lovely that you had a baby boy earlier this year.

I have 2 boys. They are 14 & 9 now & me being like this right now is scary for them. They are kind and lovely boys and their cuddles are a big help for me.

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I agree with Leanne's excellent advice below - I think you are trying to reduce the dose far too quickly.

Also, you have an illness that responds to SSRI drugs, and the symptoms of that will return when you stop the drug, or reduce the dosage.  Lots of the withdrawal symptoms can be attributed to the return of the disease.  Try not to confuse them - so many posts on this forum are from people who are trying to get off Venlafaxine, and it seems that many of them are experiencing the symptoms of the return of the illness, but either do not realise it, or don't want to believe it. 

I agree that being on Venlafaxine cane make you feel numb - unable to experience normal emotions - including joy, as well as sadness - but it does help with the agonising reality of depression.

One of the things that you really need is the support of a decent GP - so find another one! 

I am very fortunate that mine has experienced the same illness, and completely empathises.  However, anyone that has never experienced the debilitating effects of depression is unlikey to be able to understand.  My last GP, now retired, was a wonderful man, but I always thought that he felt that my depression was something to be amused by ... and not a real illness at all.

Also, if you are doing work in a psychiatric hospital, it may be that this is absolutely the wrong time to stop taking it, even though what you see there may make you feel that you absolutely have to.

I think it is easier to withdraw if you have some personal time, in which you can sleep, rest, and try to relax.  That may not be possible while you are working, especially in a very stressful environment, and one in which you might not feel comfortable explaining what you present personal challenges are.

If you are thrsty, then you need to drink more water!

Also, if you can get out and walk somewhere in the fresh air, I am sure that it helps.  Your natural endorphins will increase, which makes you feel much better, even if only for a short time.  Far better than withdrawing under the covers ...

Now is not the time to give up the fags - I am a fellow smoker - but do try not to up your intake of alcohol - it just makes you feel far worse. 

I took Venlafaxine for nine years, and had to give it up for practical reasons - it made me vomit two hours after ingestion, and at the time I had a broken pelvis, so it wasn't practical to carry a sick bucket in a shopping bag around with me on my crutches.  Can you imagine?!!  So I just stopped it.

I was fortunate, in that I didn't have any withdrawal effects, (possibly because I was taking morphine at the time, which may have masked them), although I have experienced these before, withdrawing from Seroxat, years ago.  It took months to stop the drug - mostly because of brain jerks & zapps, if that makes any sense, and the feelings of dizziness and separation from reality.

I was OK for a few years, and then crashed again, after a series of events, including the discovery of two breast cancers and the surgery and radiotherapy involved. There were other things, I lost my Dad 36 hours before the second cancer was removed, my beloved dog died etc. etc.

Everyone has a breaking point - I am now on Sertraline - another SSRI - and feel heaps better.  I now accept that it is very unlikely that I am going to be able to stop taking these drugs.  Ever.  So I may not be the best person to advise - however - I absolutely understand the hell that you are experiencing, and hope that my small input may help you in some way.

The more help and support you can get from friends or a partner, the better you will be.  Do try to eat properly, get some fresh air, and try to emerge from under the duvet.

Although I entirely understand your wish to stop Venlafaxine, it may be that you are just one of those people who simply does not manufacture enough 5HT to get by without something of that kind to restore the level in the brain to something that makes life bearable.

If that is the case, then try not to feel a failure over it.  So many wonderful people over the years have been a martyr to depression - Winston Churchill, for example - he had to deal with it without the help of anti-depressants, and still managed to win the war for us! 

He said, wrt depression, that 'when the going gets tough - keep going'.  He also coined the expression ' the black dog is back'. 

I shall be thinking of you.

Take care, and try to look after yourself.

M xxx

• Posted

Hallo Amanda, just typed long reply & don't know what I did but I lost reply before I sent it....

I had said in original reply that I was in tears reading your kind & encouraging words & also those of the other ladies who have responded on this post....

I know that I need to see my GP & seek advice about whether or not I need to be taking Venlafaxine. Having been on it for 6 years I do worry about length of time...That's always been an inner battle as I am a natural born worrier. It was an anti~depressant that worked for me and I truly haven't felt depressed for a long time. It's the anxiety, anger, nausea & dizziness that have kicked in. 

I think being back doing work in the hospital as a professional rather than a patient has thrown up unresolved feelings from when I had a short admission there 6 years ago. I feel so proud to be doing the course & work that I am & I feel so strongly about mental health issues. I just know that I need to be able to function & have a clear mind in my home life, my work & my studies.

I need to accept that today has been a write~off and that tomorrow is a new day. On a positive note I've cut right back on the cigs with feeling so ill. Sum total of 2 since Friday night ~ which is good....

I hope that you are feeling ok & your Sunday been good. Thank you again for your post. It really does mean a lot to me x

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I am so pleased that my letter to you helped a bit.

Having thought about it, and taking an objective stand, I think that this is very possibly the wrong time for you to stop, especially in view of your new job, and underlying, unresolved issues wrt your having been an in-patient - something that I dread!

In terms of the years that you have been taking V., it may help you to equate it with for example taking thyroxine for hypothyroidism, or insulin for diabetes.  Although not without risks, at least it stops your 5HT level falling below your critical level - in itself a potentially dangerous thing, apart from the utter misery that it causes. 

I don't want to discourage you from stopping it if you want to, it is just it worries me that you are adding a huge stress to that of your new job.

With your own experience of depression, you will be such a wonderful, empathetic, insightful person to work with people with psychiatric problems, and it would be such a pity if anything were to get in the way of that.  I wish that I had your courage!  I think it is wonderful. smile

Please let us all know how you get on, and if you manage to find a decent GP to help you along the way.

Love & happy thoughts

M xx 

• Posted

Such wonderful advice you gave and so true.  A good Dr would work with you and help you wean off of this drug.  Its a long road and you have to have patience and support.  Wish you the best.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I took Benadryl to help with the withdrawals. It helped me get through a horrific time. 
    • Posted

Hallo Sandra, that is useful to know & I will ask my GP about it. How long did you take it? 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, 

I took it for approx 3 weeks taking 1 at night and 1 in the morning. You can take 3 a day if needed. I spoke to my GP and he knew nothing about Benadryl easing the withdrawals. I eventually reduced the dose of Benadryl when I was able to sleep, eat and control my anxiety and emotions which was quickly. It may seem hard to believe that an allergy medication can do this but believe me it does and I can say without overreaction that it  saved me from possible suicude. Benadryl is historically from the amphetamine family, although, I had no ill effects when I stopped taking them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.