venlafaxine withdrawal- please help!!

Posted , 169 users are following.

Hi there, ive just joined on here to get some advice and support... i was prescribed venlafaxine xl (modified release) 10 yrs ago for severe depression after my daughter was born, over the years this has been increased to 225mg a day. My partner and i want to have another baby and was aware of the effects venlafaxine has or could have on a unborn child so i went to my psychiatrist to ask for there help to come off it, they drew up a plan where i would gradually reduce my amount by 37.5mg each week. This was 6 wks or so ago and am now on day two of no venlafaxine what so ever.... but im suffering really bad withdrawal symptoms.... excruciating headaches, shaking and shivering, nausa. This evening i had a major breakdown and couldnt stop crying. I had to be prescribed diazepam! I feel worse as each day goes by, dont think i can do this for much longer if this carries on.... i really want to get off this drug but i dont know how long the withdrawal will last and when ill start to feel better, does anyone have any ideas??

I feel like im in living hell at the moment...i have been feeling so bad that ive been house bound now since i started this regeime, i just need to know when its goin to end.

13 likes, 509 replies

509 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi ken thanks for replying, well i had some withdrawal symptoms when i first started the reduction but now im not on any venlafaxine its is sooo much worse. I feel out of it, my head spins when i move and feel so dizzy, and still have the shivers, i feel (and look) like a junkie!! i cant even look after my daughter so she has had to go stay with her dad. :-(

I forgot to mention before that ive also been on 15mg zoplicone for 10 yrs too!! When i was prescribed it nobody told me it was addictive the docs just kept prescribing it, and im also trying to come off this, im supposed to be starting the reduction this wk but cause im suffering so much from lack of venlafaxine i cant begin to come off zoplicone yet.... god knows what the withdrawals from that will be like!!

You said my mood should lift soon or even out, i hope so cause im really anxious and cant stop crying, my partner is finding it hard :-( im trying to be brave but sumtimes i just feel like ending it all ( crying as i write this).

• Posted

I registered on this site just to reply to you because I feel for you. God bless you :-(

I'm on 150mg of Venlofaxin - if I miss a dose by half a day the headaches start. Within a couple of hours those horrible 'brain zaps'. The anxiety, nausea and stomach cramps come on after that. Then I start getting cold sweats and feverish. If - for any reason - I go to bed like that, nightmares. Vivid horrible nightmares. If there is anything that feels more like losing your mind - I do not want to go there.

If I'm taking it - things seem OK. Bit dizzy, bit of vertigo - on a bad day, from time to time.

This weekend I got sick with a flu like virus. I forgot to take my venlofaxin for 24hrs (hence me revisiting the advice around withdrawal) - today has been horrible. Can't think straight. Just want to get back straight with the dose. It is very scary.

I totally empathise with you. Totally. You can do it. It's horrible - I know it is - but hang in there. You can do it.

• Posted

tg, you should reinstate a very small amount of ven if you are doing so badly; it is clearly a sign that you have tapered too fast.   If you were on the extended release with the little beads inside, you could take just 2 or 3 beads and see if that alleviates some of the withdrawal.  Then go off the rest very slowly.  There's no award for getting it over faster, because it isn't about getting it out of your system. It's about it NOT being in your system that is the problem!  Danged doctors have people taper off way too fast.  You shouldn't be left in a position of wanting to end it all. 

The imbalance that you are left with coming off too fast is dangerous in that it can make you feel that way.  Please be safe; this is temporary and you can get better.  Absolutely do not taper the zoplicone this week.  

• Posted

Hi betsy, every time I try to write to you on here, I get half way though a long draw out essay, finding its helps to write it down I loose it all, very frustrating!  So I thought I would write some and send it, the start a new reply. I do hope this works. I spoke to you some weeks on found your advise very helpful. Thank you. I will send this now and start again.
    • Posted

I was tapering by taking 1 bead less every few weeks, until I was down to2 beads, then the side effects hit me badly and you advised me to go back up again and re balance, which I did, much to my relief. I then started to crush 1  bead and reduced by half of 1 bead at a time very slowly. This worked with no Side effects. About 10 days ago when I was taking only 1half of a bead I decided it was time to stop completely. The side affects hit me with  vengeance .
    • Posted

As as as an  experiment a took half a bead and like magic, it all went away! I haven't taken one since. I forgot to mention I have been reading some very simply book on how to be mindful, which have helped  enormously. I'm am keeping my mood well controlled but am aware that I could  easily become very excited and start chattering one without much thought, then sink into a low mood. But thanks to some good reading I'm about to stay on the middle line, if that makes sense?

• Posted

I'm now suffering from dreadful vertigo, hot and cold sweats, stomach craps and  diarrhoea , and dreadful nightmares, which I manage to wake up from, then spend the rest of the night  agitated and restless. Needless to say I am getting exhausted

• Posted

I swear if I timed out out again I will screem lol! I'm nearly 65 yrs old, fit and very healthy and plan to carry on working in a job that I love for as long as I can. I just need some reassurance that the withdrawal from this evil drug will eventually fad and disappear, with no returns. Has any one succeeded, does anyone know. Phew the end! Thank you for reading .....

• Posted

Hi lesley I have managed to come off venlafaxine. It took me 5 months with the help of sudafed and when I was down to half a tablet I swapped tgecsudafed to citalapram as I have used those before with no problems. I have been off venlafaxine completely now for 3 months and have no symptoms at all. My dr has helped me a lot and we now got the dose of citalapram right so I am feeling good.
    • Posted

Lesey,

What worked for my symptoms was reinstating the Effexor! I suffered with a constant and at times debilitating headache, dizziness and generally feeling unwell both physical and mental (I couldn’t work) for 6 months. After getting the nerve up and started taking approx. 30 mg. Effexor I found the headaches, nausea/dizzies, freak-outs, auditory  hallucinations, sleepless nights really calmed down. I still have to practice mindfullness, not overdoing things, resting and calming my nervous system daliy. Still not 100 percent (more like 60% on a good day) but I can handle going shopping for food or going for lunch with a friend now. 

I will maintain this dose till I’m good and stable for at least a month (not there yet) and then following the 10% (or less) tapering plan. This may take a year or two but I will not go back to the living hell I was in.  I may switch to Prozac  (check it out if you haven’t heard about it) if my Effexor symptoms (mainly suicidal thoughts and fatigue return).   

Sadly, for me the withdrawal didn’t go away. I’ve being at this since Nov. 2015. I wish I would have listened to others (and my body) and tapered slower. My ego got in the way with, “I’m strong! I can handle this! This has got to end soon!”

I’m concerned that I may never be completely healed from this!

I wish you well and if you ask me, START TAKING THE EFFEXOR! wink

Cheers, Jan 

• Posted

Nobody could have taped slower than I did, I just find it extraordinary that when, taking only 1 half of a bead, which to me is  negligible, I was absolutely fine! As soon as I stopped that tiny dose, it all starts again. The reason I will NOT start them again is because I have a very happy life now and do not need them. It's only the  withdrawal I need then for. Not a good enough reason! I will soldier on and hope that one day I will feel better...

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

Sorry if I came on too strong….  It’s not really my nature to tell people what to do. It’s my knee-jeck reaction to try to “save” someone the pain I went through. neutral

I hear ya about the power of a wee bead on Effexor! Seems like I’ve being my own science experience and as well have fine incredible shifts in my withdrawal with the smallest of changes. Keep us posted and all the best on your recovery.

Cheers,

Jan

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

We're you successful in coming off of Ven? How long did it take to feel normal again and how are you feeling now??

Thanks

Jenn

• Posted

I have been off Effexor now for 5 months . It has been hell - once the acute withdrawal symptoms passed I was subject to the most debilitating depression for months . On and on it went ; didn't know if it was me , the withdrawal process or a combination of both .Nor did I know if I was ever going to recover . But I battled on and told myself if my depression became unmanageable I would go to the doctor for a script for another sort of antidepressant . I put on about thirty pounds over six years of taking this medication and developed leukoplakia. The latter is decreasing noticeably since stopping the meds .

Maybe I am one of the unlucky ones but maybe , just maybe it takes a lot longer than most expect for the brain to return to base line . Almost everything I read suggested one feels better within days or weeks . This was not so in my case . I do wonder if others have had to endure months of severe depression as a result of tapering off this drug . I would say to anyone suffering, that above all time is needed to consolidate the changes in serotonin absorption and production . Take heart .

• Posted

Hi Julie, I also took Venlafaxine for 5.5 weeks, was only on 37.5ml, but suffered loss of appetite, insomnia, started reducing about 8 weeks ago, due to take A quarter of a tablet tomorrow, but I think I am not going to take any more, have been given Diazepam 2ml, take 3 ml a day, I have lost too much weight.. I have just found out my folate is low, so been taking folic acid for 3 weeks now, don't know how long it has been low, i have no energy feel anxious and also depressed.... been on and off different antidepressents over the last 19 months and none have worked for me, but venlafaxine was the pits. I think with the cocktail of drugs over tis time have made me worse, cos all I wanted was counseling for late bereavement, but that took 9 monthe for the appointment, so i am thinking it takes a while for your brain to work back to normal, as I wasn't like this 19 months ago, just needed to talk, that is what i am hoping anyway... I think for some people it just takes longer, or I am hoping so.... Hilary x

• Posted

Hi Hilary

I feel for you and understand perfectly how you are feeling.

My story is a little different. But all in all it seems as though there comes a time you have to look at things from a different view.

You know when something isn't right and have to find another solution.

Reducing this drug has been the hardest thing I've had to do and it's been over a long period but I can see light at the end of what has been a very dark tunnel.

I wish you well on your decision to reduce the ven ( slow is the key )

and to find comfort in the knowledge we are all here together.

Sara xx

• Posted

Hi Sara, first of all thanks for your reply.   I am so worried, I am might have been too quick in stopping, but I was not on this drug that long, but it strikes me you don't have to be on it long before it takes a hold of you, or just maybe after the cocktail of drugs they have given me over this last19 months, my brain hasn't had time to work back to it's normal self.  I feel very anxious depressed no energy, and  no confidence, not sleeping too well, when I eat it just goes straight through me, I have to eat the right foods, for the folate deficienty, and it also states when your folate is low, you do not respond to antidepressants, so i feel as though i am a hiding to none, don't want to take anymore AD's, as i was blodding along, just missing my late husband.  I live alone, but do have 2 supportive kids, but they worry about you, and i don't want them sick, but it's good to know that some people take longer than others... Since I took the last quarter i do feel quite rough, although it didn't make me feel good either, never felt right on them, caused me insomnia and weight loss, I am so scared feeling like this.... Hilary

• Posted

Hi Hilary

It appears only a short time on Ven still has its difficulties to reduce.

I am infact layed up myself. I reduced to 37.5 a couple of days ago. My head is in a spin. I can't tolerate bright lights and I'm feeling more lethargic then ever.

I've just had a bath and something to eat before laying back down with wet hair. I've already been in bed for two days solid.

This is a small window of being able to hold my phone.

The upset tummy you are expieriencing is the drug leaving your body. That's normal. Not nice but normal.

You know you can always retake a bit of the ven to rebalance before trying again. I did that myself in the beginning.

I've resigned myself to feeling this way for some time yet until my brain comes to term with losing some of this drug.

Keep in touch.

Big hug.

Sara. X

• Posted

Hi Sara, there is no going back now, I would never take the drug again, but i still have another hurdle to cross, yet, i am still taking the Diazepam 3ml, which isn't a lot, just 1.5 tablets, just to take the edge off, but i am not sure it is doing that at the moment, as when i sometimes take it, I can feel even more anxious, but will still have to ween off that... I also realize my brain has to get back to normal, not just with the Venlafaxine, but all the drugs they have given me over this last 17 months, I just want to be the way I was  before all this crap, which has not agreed with me, I know some AD's work for some people, but not me, so yes I would love to keep in touch.  We can help each other through this.... where abouts do you come from?.... Hilary smile

• Posted

Hi Hilary

Well I've been feeling completely wiped out since reduction. Absolutely no energy what so ever. I'm just hoping I start to feel better soon. No point in informing my Dr.. she's pretty useless at this tapering lark. She told me I should stay on it. But I know my body best. And I know this drug is having a negative effect on me. Maybe it worked in the beginning but I have been left on it far too long.

It's nice to know others are experiencing similar feelings and knowing there's someone out there who understands. 😊

My teenage children have no knowledge their mum has been so unwell. They think I just sleep a lot. X

• Posted

Hi Sara, I didn't realize, you could feel so wiped out withdrawing from Venlafaxine, even though i stopped the drug 10 days ago, I feel so tired all the time, no energy, lost a lot of weight, no appetite anxious and depressed, and the list goes on, but i am going to weather the storm, have to... Have resentlyhad a CT scan, and everthing is normal, there is only my low folate which can be sorted, and they have upped my thyroxine, so all in all I have got to go through this horrible withdrawal, so we can complain to each other, and get it out of our system, now that's a plan.... so keep it together... Big hugs ... Hilary x

• Posted

Hi ya

So remind me ... did you slowly taper or just quit?

Is your loss of appetite due to your thyroid or because of how you feel?

I've had to resign myself to the fact I'm housebound for the time being. Thankfully I do have my husband who is helping where he can. For a long time he couldn't understand any of this but finally he's starting to get it. He did infact apologise to me saying he really had no idea. He may have sought advice from the internet.

You need someone around who understands but close family and friends can be pretty useless it seems. They expect you to pull yourself together. I've already fallen out with my mum. Could quite easily not see anyone.

Well it's another day in self pity for me. 🤒

Hug returned x

• Posted

Hi Sara, i did taper down, but still feel terrible, tried to cut down onthe diazepam, from 3ml to 2ml, but have gone so much worse, have been on them this time for 8 weeks..... I think i need bereavement counseling, but there is nothing here in St helens, only ordinary counseling, I am so scared the way i feel right now,.... Going to do a volunteer job ths morning, and i have no confidence... please keep in touch.... Hilary x
    • Posted

Hi Hilary

Is that Merseyside?

Yes you're probably right. Bereavement counselling should be offered. Can you call your GP or local Health clinic for some advice? There must be some support available to those who have lost a loved one.

You must feel alone without your husband. It must difficult trying to do things on your own.

I'm impressed with the volunteer work you would have already done by the time you read this!

I expect it felt good.

It's another step forward for you. Well done because I realise it may have been hard for you when your confidence is so low.

😊 Sara x

• Posted

Hey sara, the GP's are usless, all they can do is put you on AD's.   There is nothing in St Helens (and yes St Helens is Merseyside) but the wrong part of Mersyside, There's a place in Whiston Hospital, and  there's Cruise in Birkenhead, but both places, I am out of the area.  I think St Helens must be the part that time forgot.  My sister lives on the Wirral, and she could have gone to cruise.  If i still had Geoff here, I would never have been like this.   The GP's have messed my head up, with AD's.  Yes I do the volunteer job twice a week, but it is hard going.  I was quite a confident person, and quite out going, can interact with the animals, but not so good with the people, do try, but full of anxiety, trying not to let it show, they probably think I am a very nervous quiet person, and thats something I wasn't... thank you for keeping in touch.... Hilary x

• Posted

Hi Sara, How are you doing?.... Hope you are feeling a little better... I myself, seem to have goten a little worse, it's 2weeks 2 days since I last took the last quarter of Venlafaxine, and i feel so tired, full of anxiety and very adjutated, and this has all gone much worse, sometimes ease up a little on a night, infact the other night I nearly felt back to my normal self, but it was very short lived... Have very broken sleep for about 4 or 5 hrs, so tired when I wake up around 5.30 am, but I wake up with anxiety, and i can't go back to sleep, 20 months ago i would have gone back to sleep till about 10am, happy days, I shaw hope they come back, and I put some weight on.  i will say it is nice to know I am not on my own.... Lets know how your going on... Hilary x

• Posted

Hi Michelle, was the sudafed you used just stuff you get from the chemist? I have been on 225mg Venlafaxine for 5 years and have tapered off. The side effects are terrible for me but I am trying to get through it as I don't want to go back to square one. Many thanks

• Posted

Lesley i am absolutely going through hell right now (61 one days since last 37.5 mg dose of venlafaxine xr) but get a lot of inspiration from your story ... need to soldier on 
    • Posted

Hi ya Hilary.

I can honestly say I've come through a nightmare. There is most definitely light at the end of a very long dark hell hole!

I feel brighter than I have done in a long time.

All I can say is ' slow is the key.'

I've put my family through a tough time and don't intend to reduce any further for a long while yet. I'm going to stay in 37.5mg. Well at least until I'm brace enough to go through the torture of withdrawal.

Big hug 🤗

• Posted

Brain zaps are easily got rid of by maintaining hydration. Drink water and they will go. I carry water bottle with me. I am trying to come down from dose of 450mg which was quite an overdose. Have also been on them for over 30 years which is adding to the fun. I have managed to reduce to 225 mg which is recommended dose so that is a vast improvement. I've not had too much hassle other than brain zaps which I worked out quickly can be deflected quickly by drinking water (and I mean plain water) this has been no hardship as I have suffered badly from extreme sweating whilst on Efexor. I always have a towel around my neck and water bottle as I have low blood pressure normally. Add dehydration to the mix and life becomes exciting!

Luckily I work in aged care and they all assume it's menopause so doesn't faze them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.