venlafaxine withdrawal- please help!!

Posted , 169 users are following.

Hi there, ive just joined on here to get some advice and support... i was prescribed venlafaxine xl (modified release) 10 yrs ago for severe depression after my daughter was born, over the years this has been increased to 225mg a day. My partner and i want to have another baby and was aware of the effects venlafaxine has or could have on a unborn child so i went to my psychiatrist to ask for there help to come off it, they drew up a plan where i would gradually reduce my amount by 37.5mg each week. This was 6 wks or so ago and am now on day two of no venlafaxine what so ever.... but im suffering really bad withdrawal symptoms.... excruciating headaches, shaking and shivering, nausa. This evening i had a major breakdown and couldnt stop crying. I had to be prescribed diazepam! I feel worse as each day goes by, dont think i can do this for much longer if this carries on.... i really want to get off this drug but i dont know how long the withdrawal will last and when ill start to feel better, does anyone have any ideas??

I feel like im in living hell at the moment...i have been feeling so bad that ive been house bound now since i started this regeime, i just need to know when its goin to end.

13 likes, 509 replies

509 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hiya again tg,

the flu like symptoms you are experiencing, shivering etc, should disappear very soon now, leaving you on lesser withdrawal symptoms which are a pain in the bum but a lot more manageable, the dizziness and electric 'brain zap' like feelings are very weird but are totally harmless so dont panic :O)

as regards stopping the zopiclone at the moment, dont even think about it, you have been on quite a high dose for a long time now, im afraid it wont be easy, so just concentrate on the venlafaxine at the moment, if you try to do both at the same time, theres a very high chance that you'll fail on BOTH counts.

oh for the record ive successfully come off venlafaxine and zopiclone myself in the past at the first attempt, all be it not both at the same time, so hang on in there you can do this :O)

cheers,

keep in touch,

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

Hi Ken, thank u very much for getting back to me i really appreciate the support. Well yesterday i had a emergency docs appt because i was not doin very well at all, they have decieded to put me on fluoxetine (prozac) 20mg for one week only to help the withdrawal symptoms, it is apparently not goin to be used as a anti depressant or replacement to the venlafaxine it is just to get me through this wk. I myself wasnt aware that goin on prozac would help?! im goin to try it tomoz and see how i get on. But i certainly dont want to take it long term to get off one drug only to go on another! They also increased my trazodone to 200mg at night, which im tolerating.

So Ken please tell me what dose of zoplicone were u on? how was it to come off? and how long did it take? im dreading doin that one lol.

• Posted

I just got done reading this set of articles and they mention using Prozac as an interrim drug to help with Effexor withdrawals.  I was on Effexor for about 13 years and about 2 years ago, started having personality changes that my husband commented on.  I was having other meds. issues and my psych. just blew off the idea that Effexor was causing any problems.  

Well, I'm off it, now.  I began titrating off and replacing it with a new med. called viibryd.  Don't take it, either, as it causes other problems.  Anyway, things were OK going from my 300mg/day dose down to about 45mg.  Then it got really scary.  The fever, chills, (I stopped the Viibryd around then) feelings of going crazy, the brain zaps, the rushes, the numbing of my hands/fingers-even the tip of my toungue during these zaps.  I continued to divide my capsules into smaller little piles of white balls, decreasing every 2 weeks until I got to aroun 20mgs. and got tired of feeling like a junkie dividing my doses (not to mention chasing those little balls around on a cutting board as I divied them up).  I've been off any Effexor for about 6 or 7 weeks.  The zaps gradually became farther and farther in the background, but not gone, until a couple of days ago when I messed up my shoulder.  Since then, they've been back.  Maybe not as bad as originally, but definitely back.  Does anyone have any back symptoms to report of that go along with the effexor?  I've had increasing back pain over the years, but chalked it up to age and not being as careful as I should be. Wondering if there's another side effect out there.

• Posted

hiya tg,

i didnt mention the prozac substitute as some doctors dont use it to help withdrawal, i think its a relatively new method to help come off venlafaxine (both meds are of the same family/type but prozac has a very long half life) as little as one tab of prozac is said to be effective, dont worry bout becoming dependant on prozac, after a few days use its not gonna happen :O)

i was on up to 15 mg of zopiclone a night, as i dont recollect having serious withdrawal from it, so it cant have been that bad, the main effect usualy is rebound insomnia, ie. not being able to sleep well again for a while, i stopped by tapering the dosage over a period of time just like the venlafaxine, the doctor may taper the dose and add in diazepam (valium) over a long period of time as you have been on it a very long time, again zopiclone has a very short half life where valium has a long half life, as you are also on trazodone presumably for depression and also to help you sleep, your doctor may adjust that too :O)

anyhooooos hows it going at the moment tg ??

cheers,

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

Hi tg, I was on 225 mgs of Venlafaxine for about two years and my GP took me off it way too quick. I had seriously bad withdrawal, hallucinations the lot and ended up in hospital until they brought me down to 37.5 mgs. I stayed on that dose for six months because I was so scared to try to stop completely given my previous experience. However, last week I realised I had forgotten to take it for three days and haven't taken it since. So far nothing and that's over a week. I've come off many a-ds over the years but nothing like venlafaxine so you're not alone. Don't beat yourself up. This med has more posts on this forum than any other. I've found with other a-ds that I couldn't come off them the first time I tried but when I was ready it was a lot easier but you're probably past the worst now. As for Zopiclone, I have come off them too and it's been nothing like as bad as coming off of other sleeping tablets.

Like Ken, I have another bit of experience but the moderators might not want to post it as it's still in early trials.

Good luck, Christine

• Posted

I don't know if it's just coincidence, but I was recently put on a drug called Baclofen for pain caused by muscle spasms which have trapped a nerve. I'm on a good research database because of my job and when I get prescribed something new I always check it out. While licensed only as a muscle relaxant there is currently a fair bit of research going on into it as a treatment to lesson cravings in alcohol, cocaine and other drug addictions. I have to wonder if being on this has helped me stop venlafaxine so easily this time. Just a thought! C
  • Posted

Hi Peep's,

My Partner was on Venlafaxine for three years. 350mg at night was her dosage for her depression. We have both tried to wean her off the Venlafaxine for 1 year now dropping the dose as advised on the Venlafaxine/effexor forums. We eventually got to the lower advised dose of 37.5mg. This was dreadfull: Vomiting, Brain zapps, Tingling/Pins and needles all over her body, Severe Headaches, Suicidal, Crying uncontrolably, Severe sweating and Shaking like a heroin addict.

As most the UK Medical proffession dont accept there are ANY withdrawal symptoms from Venlafaxine/Effexor, i went on the American forums for Venlafaxine/Effexor.

Advice i followed from there was to take Benadryl Hay fever medicaction. After getting back down to the 37.5mg of Venlafaxine my partner started getting the same above withdrawal symptoms, so we both decided to use the benadryl at TWO 10mg capsules THREE times daily with stopping the Venlafaxine immediatly. Within 2 hours ALL withdrawal symptoms had subsided and she was quite happy. We continued the Two 10mg Capsules Three times daily for 2 weeks, Two 10mg capsules for one week, 1 10mg capsule for one week and then stopped the Benadryl capsules. My partner has had NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS AT ALL now since stopping the 37.5mg Venlafaxineand taking the Benadryl.

We tried for 1 year to get her off the Venlafaxine with no help, or acceptance from her Doctors that there are any withdrawal symptoms from Venlafaxine. We both had nothing but heartache my Partner suffered Dreadfull Withdrawal symptoms from the medication prescribed by her Doctor/Psychiatrist and no warnings of Withdrawal or the dreadfull time she was going to have getting off the medication.

With the thought that all it took was a simple HAYFEVER capsule taken correctly, to combat all the withdrawal symptoms from this ridiculous Venlafaxine medication, my partner and i were very angry. If only the UK Doctors and "Medical Proffessionals" would only admit and accept that there IS withdrawal symptoms from Venlafaxine/Effexor, Just as the American Medical Prroffessionals do, Life would be a lot easier for Venlafaxine/Effexor withdrawal sufferers here in the UK.

I feel and think the UK "Medical Proffessionals" WONT admit or accept the Known withdrawal symptoms from Venlafaxine/Effexor medication is because they KNOW there ARE and could possibly be sued for the suffering caused by the Doctors prescribing the Venlafaxine/Effexor medication so willy nilly as if it were an asprin. Both my Partner and I have considered Suing the Doctors involved but, Being in the UK, the Medical Proffession would still deny there are any KNOWN Withdrawal symptoms from ANY anti-depressant medication.

My partner is now a very happy person, at the moment, and we are both hoping the Depression does not return. If and when it does, She will not accept Venlafaxine/Effexor from her Doctors and will use the American Forums to "Investigate" any anti-depressant that may be prescribed by her "Doctor".

Benadryl May not work for everyone and we are not suggesting anyone should run out and buy Benadryl and stop the Venlafaxine/Effexor but, It worked perfectly for my Partner who has been off Venlafaxine/Effexor and Benadryl now for three months with NO withdrawal symptoms at all.

John.

• Posted

Hi johnaboyy, 

sorry if I've spelt this wrong as I'm typing through tears. I called breathing space at 4pm this morning because of suicidal thoughts. I don't know how I found your post, I suppose I was looking for something to tell me that I wasn't going completely mad.I was put on 225mg of venlafaxine  by my doctor 2 years ago and on a recent visit, he explained that I was to reduce the dose week by week to completely come off them. He gave no indication of side effects and said I should have been on them for 12 months. I did as I was told and have stopped altogether since Wednesday. The insomnia and suicidal thoughts have gotten worse day by day. The dizziness and what I can now put a name to as brain zapps were constant and debilitating. Last night the idea popped into my head to get in my car, leave a note to my two boys saying sorry because I thought they would be better off without me and keep driving until I hit something. Reading what you have written has been a flood of relief and reprieve for me and my family. I have taken my first Benedryl and won't pin all my hopes on it working, but to know that the effects, especially the dizziness, brain Zapps and suicidal thoughts could be because of the medication rather than me having an episode, giving me a tiny ray of hope in a hellish nightmare that I wanted to end. Thank you again.

sandra

• Posted

Hi sandra1165, would love to hear how your experience went with Benedryl if you don't mind sharing - I very much hope it helped the process for you and that you are now feeling much better?  I have today started to reduce my dose of 225mg of velafaxine in order to have another baby and after reading the posts on this forum am feeling increasingly nervous and unsure how to proceed.  Best wishes confused
    • Posted

Hi, 

i re-read my post from 2 months ago and remember  that horrific time. Today I have no brain zaps, insomnia or thoughts of suicide. I get restless and can become emotional at times, but in comparison, I am a different person and   I don't take benedryl either now. I phased out Benadryl approx 6 weeks after starting on it and had no ill effects. I would recommend Benadryl to anyone who is coming off venlafaxine. 

• Posted

Hi Johnaboyy,

I'm new to this! I was wondering if the Benadryl Hayfever medication your partener used had the ingredient Diphenhydramine?  my husband is having problems with withdrawal symptoms cutting down his Venlafaxine and we really want to try the Benadryl, just need to get the right one!  Margaret.

• Posted

Hi ive been off venlafaxine for 2mnths an the withdrawal is still very over the top will benadryl b of use even tho ive been off 2mnths??
    • Posted

Hi

I was wondering if benadryl in the UK will have the same effect as the drug is different from the US version. I have been reducing my venlafaxine for the past 2 months and am now on just one 37.5 tab a day and I am just starting to experience some of the withdrawal symptoms. My gp said that coming off of these should be done at a glacial pace ( hence 2 months to drop one tablet) and I have been ok until now. Saw the benadryl post and want to try it. Thanks x

• Posted

You need to buy the benedryl acrivastine in the UK. Don't get the one per day version supermarkets sell. You need to get it from a pharmacy. You need to take 3 per day or get cold and flu remedy like Sudafed or a generic from the pound store with Pseudoephedrine as this mimics one of the chemicals in venlaflaxine. It's chemically similar and non addictive.

Hope it helps. These meds helped me quit together with stugeron sea sickness medication.

Helen

• Posted

Thanks Helen, and thanks for the stugeron tip too, I suffer with an inner ear problem that makes me dizzy and feel sick, and I had felt that my medication for it wasn't working as well recently, not realising that it was yet another side effect of the venlafaxine withdrawal.

Thanks again, this site has been a lifesaver, knowing that it's not all in my head has actually made me feel better already and reading other people's experiences has made me more determined 😁

• Posted

I've been in contact with Pfeizer Pharmaceuticals.  They keep sending me questionaires about my symptoms, etc.  I'm in the states.  I lost my ability to spell very well (was a teacher for years and used to out-spell my  older brother when I was little, am 54 now.)  My typing gets mixed up and I used to type 50wpm corrected as I went along because I knew I miss-typed.  Thank goodness for spell-check.  I, also, lose words when I'm talking.  I'll be in mid-sentence and forget the word I was going to say.  

Just finding the right psych. med makes you feel like a guinea pig, but now Pfeizer is making me feel like one.  I'm not sure what to do with all of this.  I've "screamed" at them with letters asking them what they did to my brain, but all I get are more questionaires.

The American formums are going to give you the same mixed bag of results and horror stories.  I've decided not to go on any anti-depressants that don't have at least a 10 year track record.  My doc. tried to put me on Viibryd.  When I looked at the literature that came with it, they had only run 8-week trials.  I don't know if there is a site available for UK doctors, but I found one about how much each US doctor is paid by the pharmaceutical companies, and which ones, and for what.  Some doctors are taken to lunch, but others are paid to give speaking engagements.  I'm assuming those speaking engagements are touting the wonders of some drug the manufacturer makes.  You might check around and see if there is something available to look into.  It's an eye-opener.

• Posted

Hello, johnaboyy, are you still out there?  Just wondering how your girlfriend fared over the long haul?  Some people, such as myself, don't start having emotional WD from Effexor and other psych meds until six months or so out from stopping. Since it happens so far out, everyone thinks it is relapse.  For me, though, the version of depression was so much more severe and unlike anything I had experienced before, it was clearly WD, and yet I didn't know it at the time!  Also, I was never one to have generalized anxiety, panick, feelings of doom, but that's how the anxiety was in WD.  I hope she's doing great!
    • Posted

very helpful, I am now off venlafaxcine completely, but feeling very unwell. I will give Benadryl a tart thank you
    • Posted

Which type of Benadryl/sudafed did you take, drowsy or non drowsy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.