Ventolin doesn't help much when I get breathless with copd

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am also using seretide and spiriva,  Can I increase the dose of any of these please.  Many thanks.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My respiratory nurses tell me you can take 10 puffs of ventolin through a spacer it acts as good as a nebuliser. I have done this often and it does help. Two or three times a day or when ever I need. But use a spacer or aero chamber as this makes sure you get all of the medication. Good luck
    • Posted

If your own doctor or respiratory nurse has told you this diane, then it would be their advice to you as a patient not for every person using ventolin.  So if it wasn't a medical professional that told you the same as james80978 then it may not be at all appropriate for you personally.
  • Posted

Yes you can but you need to see a doctor for their opinion.  You mustn't mess with your meds on your own.  

When I was feeling extra sob my doctor told me to double my dose of my preventer symbicort.  I did for a while but now don't need to so have cut it back again.  Your preventers might need to be increased to help prevent this breathlessness.  x

• Posted

Dear Hypercat, you are not alone or invisible to me either.  It's all so complicated and scary.  I had to call a doctor out last night as I was so breathless. It was like trying to escape from Colditz to get one but just do what you have to do.  At least I had 45 minutes of undivided attention and could ask so many questions.  Keep in touch won't you?

God bless. xxx

• Posted

Ha ha deanne ignore me as I regretted that  remark as soon as I had posted it!  Sorry - just me getting a little paranoid.. 

I am so sorry you are going through the mill at the moment love and breathlessness is horrible isn't it?   You are right,  you have to do what you have to but you shouldn't have to fight like this to get what you need and deserve.   What did the doctor say?  

I hope you are feeling a lot better soon.  A big hug for you.  Bev xx

• Posted

Thank you Bev for your love and support.  The Doc just put me on a nebuliser but apparently 10 puffs of Ventolin through a spacer has the same effect which is good to know.  But she said I hadn't got an infection, so I believe it was the Co-codamol I was given for Sciatica.  I have since learned it should'nt be given to the elderly (which I am) and patients with breathing probs.  I think I'm on the mend a bit now and I've started eating a bit, bluddy good job too, I've lost a stone in weight!!.  Bless you Bev and big hugs for you too.  xx
    • Posted

Aw thanks Deanne,  that is very kind of you to say that.   I don't use a spacer but I have heard they are very effective as you get more of the meds down your lungs so I hope this is helping you. 

I have just been given co codamol (15mgs) for back pain.  The doctor didn't mention breathing problems which is a bit worrying.  She did mention possible stomach problems with it though. 

Carry on eating as much as possible as it's not good to be underweight when suffering from lung problems.   Love and hugs  Bev xxx  

• Posted

You are lovely Bev, thanks so much.  Do be careful with the co-codamol but you are probably younger than me and I had 30mgs.  Who needs back pain as well as everything else?  I also use gallons of SBC Arnica gel for all aches and pains, it's great.  It's non sticky and water based and you can slap it on like marmalade as often as you want.  It has really worked well for me for years.  Do give it a go and let me know won't you?  You can get it on ebay or from QVC.   Love and big hugs  Deanne xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Deanne.  Bet I am not younger than you smile  I am 62.   I have tried arnica cream and it didn't help.   I don't think mine is muscular so much as a disc worne away and others wearing away and rubbing on the discs below.  Bev x

• Posted

Increasing spriva dose, definitely no its a 24 hour broncho dilater,

Regarding increasing the dose of Seretide you will need to seek the advice of your GP, consultant or respiratory nurse.

You may want to check with the respiratory nurse your technique using the ventolin to be sure your technique is correct, or you may find using a spacer with it more helpful.

• Posted

Thank you so much Vee, it's much appreciated. xx
  • Posted

Hi Deanne.

Many patients experience that.

Metered dose inhalers (MDIs-- the puffers you use with your Ventolin) can be very difficult to use.  In fact, believe it or not, only 10% of patients use them correctly.  You read right-- only 1 out of 10.

Are you remembering to

1) Exhale completely before using the inhalers

2) Inhale the medication deeply

3) Hold your breath for 10-15 seconds with the medication in your lungs.

One thing you could do is focus on those steps when you use your Ventolin, Seretide and Spiriva.

But I have another suggestion that I think is better.  Ask your doctor about using a SPACER with your Ventolin MDI.  It's a tube that catches all the medication mist when from your inhaler.  That way, you don't have to coordinate your inhale with compressing the inhaler-- which can be difficult under the best of circumstances, and especially difficult when you're short of breath.

There are no spacers for your Spiriva or Seretide.

But I stongly encourage you to talk to your doctor about a SPACER for your Ventolin MDI.  It might make a world of difference for you.  (It does for plenty of patients.)

As well, you might want to talk to your doc about a nebulizer, but they're not portable, and time-consuming to use.

• Posted

Thank you Mike.  I'm learning that it's all trial and error but I think I'm getting there.  The COPD nurse still wants me to go back to the clinic when I can but I don't know why because she says I'm on the strongest doses and there nothing more I can have except Pulmonary rehab. which I really couldn't cope with mentally.
    • Posted

Hi Deanne.

Thank you both for your really nice response to me, and for responding to everybody who contributes here.  It really makes a difference.

If you don't mind talking about it, I'm curious about why you have so much trepidation about pulmonary rehab.

Thanks again,

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike,

It's just that I dislike and have always  disliked being in a group situation and being committed to appointments, it's just one of my pet hates, nothing more than that really.  Thank you so much for your interest.

Best wishes

Deanne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.