Ventolin doesn't help much when I get breathless with copd

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am also using seretide and spiriva,  Can I increase the dose of any of these please.  Many thanks.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have stopped using the Ventolin inhaler for six months, yes it worked short time, but found I was using it too often for my like..  Now, instead of using the inhaler, I stop/slow down, stay calm and it has the same effect as the Ventolin.  The bonus is less drugs and the feeling of satisfaction at managing part of the COP regime myself.
    • Posted

Hi Mali, as I said, it's all trial and error and what suits you.  Getting breathless is horrible but I've learned that taking two breaths in through the nose and breath out on the count of four through pursed lips is very helpful. xx
    • Posted

I found my answer to breathlessness by mistake.  Panic was becoming overwhelming.  Suddenly, it slacked off.  I discovered I was singing under my breath (don't laugh) Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  It works every time for me.  I think it's because when we have copd, we can only do so many things at a time. Like walking and breathing?  The music hgelps to regulate my breath.

I have to think of another song tho, that one is wearing thin.

• Posted

Hello Deanne I have severe  COPD am on all the inhalers plus a nebuliser and oxygen I use the oxygen mostly overnight,  I would like to ask has anyone overcome the oral thrush you get with using a nebuliser its awful and quite painful, I have a spacer one to to for when on holiday, also on Mucodyne and Uniphyllin.  Many thanks.
  • Posted

Over a few years I have tried taking less and at times more of my prescriptions to feel if the effect is better or worse. It takes time for the body to adjust to a medication. You will find out soon if any prescription becomes a concern. Ex. I took spirvia for a year, then was also prescribed advair. Both prescribed by a pulmonary physician. After taking both for appx 9 months my primary care physician noticed a growth on my pallet. He said I should have it removed and told me he did not know what caused it for sure but did say he believe it may have been caused by the medications. I had it removed and it's been 2 years with no further growth. So eveyone is different and weird things happen when the body does not function as it should and medication in use. I do experiment with homopathic remedies just to see if they make me feel better. I found that a couple of drops of eucalyptus extract in very hot water when breathed in the lungs and held for a few seconds, then repeated say 5 times, has a great effect on making my lungs feel cleaned, and opens airways and helps. As always your doctor should be the first to consult on any change in use of medication. Remember doctors are people too & they do not know what works best for everybody, so it is your challenge to find the right usage that may work best for you. "The lord helps them who help themselves".
  • Posted

Hi Deanne and all in this discussion.

First time i've taken part in a discussion, only joined yesterday but found the info and input here really good.

Can't really say much to help aleviate the stress that this horrible infliction causes us all however, as for the meds, I have in the last year started using the spacer.  Never thought much about it before but since using this I have found some ease and comfort.  I use is twice daily with all my inhalers except the symbicort turbo inhaler which doesn't fit, but any that fit it, i use it.  I use it, two intakes, each of 5 breaths each.  I use it for my ventolin also when needed.  Can be up to 6-8 times a day if infection present.   My findings are it makes you breath, slowly, which is what we are looking for.  No snatching for intake, but slower inhale and exhale does do the trick.  

I found MikeB26's post very useful and informative too, except that if I tried to hold my breath for 10-15 count, i'd be out cold ! lol.  Thats me, but the advice is sound !!!!!.

As for pain killers, most copd sufferers cannot take any ibuprofen based tablets due to the muscle relaxent properties.  This affects the lungs immensly.  I have used them in the past then realised that the time was right to stop.  My only pain relief now is good old paracetamol, unless i want morphine patches, but at present not going to go that far, dealing with the pain.   Have heard about spiced up cakes doing the trick but not that brave yet !   Perhaps, who knows.

COPD is debilitating, frightening, sickening, and so much more.   People can not see it, unless of course your like me and go into meltdown because of anxiety in the supermarket and can't breath LOL, but it's ok, it's not a problem, let people see it, let them understand what it's about.   

We live our lives daily.  Good days, bad days, great days so you do too much, the following day, well if you can manage a smile without pain, then it's a good day.  

Do keep on top of it, don't let it drag you down.  Depression can so easily take hold and then the drugs alone will not help.

If you can, keep off the steroids as much as you can.  Please.

They are a wonder drug, but also, too much useage and .... not good.

OMG, i'm on a role.  Best I stop.  Most i've spoken about this to others in ..... ever, except my family and close friends.

Hope I havn't offended anyone or upset anyone, got a bit carried away and now it's typed, well, send it.

Keep safe all xx   Michelle x 

• Posted

I have very severe emphysema and also Restless leg syndrome or RLS. I take 10 milligrams of flexeril (muscle relaxer) and 5 to10 milligrams of hydrocodone every night. I am also on oxygen, 2 lpm, 24/7

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.