Vertigo after osteopath?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I have just had my first ever vertigo experience, wow, hope it never happens again. Two days later and I'm foggy headed and a bit wobbly still. It woke me up at 5am and whenever I tilted my head left or right the room spun . I've just started with an osteopath for neck issues and it's been going well. Though this time my neck was really sore and developed a bad headache, this got worse for two days, then got the vertigo . The dr thinks it's from the manipulation as opposed to my ears, I do also have tinnitus which developed similar time of my mayor neck issues. All the info I look at points to ears, is anyone heard of vertigo caused by neck issues.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

vertigo can be aggravated by neck issues yes. In would go back to this Osteopath and see what he has to,say. But I would not be having any more neck manipulations!
    • Posted

I know such a shame as I need treatment as have just diagnosed loss lordosis of cervical spine, and it's been going so well until now.
  • Posted

I have read of dizziness being created from isues with C2 vertebrae but, not vertigo.  Vertigo is usually associated with lose Otoconia in the canals of the inner ear.  The manipulation may have aggravated the issue and have caused some particles to break free.
    • Posted

Hmm I wondered that too due to my tinnitus , I have one ear that always feels full despite the audiologist saying all fine. Funny on that same side a have a swollen node just below ear which when comes up sends shooting pain into the same ear.
  • Posted

Mine began after an Osteopaths visit for my sinuses .

Went in the door okay on a Saturday to see him ,he moved my head fair bit ,left okay ,but on that Monday I got up to this Mdds I have ,been this way everyday for 4 years .

I've had neck ache for 10 yrs ,plus I to have tinnitus .

looking back ,I've made some really bad decisions ,3 yrs ago I was sent for a CT scan ,due to my neck ache ,it turned out I had 2 bones out in neck ,had them painfully put back in line ,but as it was left so long ,I still have neck ache ,Arthritis now there ,? 

• Posted

Oh no Marlene so sorry to hear, I do have lordosis loss of curvature in the cervical spine , it's been doing well with treatment until now, I've lived with headaches and neck aches for months until first saw osteo so such a shame this happened.
    • Posted

Marlene did your vertigo disappear ?

I've had a send episode this morning, very early again, sleeping without pillow just a neck roll to relieve neck pain. It was only mild this time and again positional .

• Posted

Hi Pebbles ,No I still have this Mdds ,so I believe as many do ,Osteopath visit seem to have set this in motion ,I still suffer from Sinisitis and daily neck ache .Ive tried the sleeping without pillow ,with pillow ,even changed pillows ,bought new ones .Still have it ,even sat here now .I do rub in a cold gel at night ,I've sat with cold pack ,heat pack ,makes not a scrap of difference.

I'm on other sites in relation to our problem ,and most say the same word for word ,neck ache/pain  some have the tinnitus ,and say the spikes they get as myself and Anne are bad  me Anne and Gillian have allergies .Think it's all connected up in someway ,but how is a mystery .Where are you ? We 3 are in UK ,so we're NHS ,so we get more or less same referals offerered ,

• Posted

I was reading something that I found interesting a couple of days ago.  I know that a lot of us have complained about sore/tight necks associated with dizziness symptoms.  I also have read some of your posts related to chiropractic adjustments/car accidents in your past and then having developed your symptoms.  There was also an article that I read several months ago that related dizziness after a surgical procedure where the individual was intibated.  You may want to look at the condition that I found that is called "Whiplash Associated Disorder" (WAD).  According to the article that I read it mentioned that 25% of those with WAD have dizziness as one symptom.  It also talked about cervico-ocular reflex which interacts with the vestibular ocular reflex for stabilization of ones visual field.  It stated that with cervico-brachial pain it was shown that individuals have more disturbances in balance than healty subjects and their disturbed postural control and recovery differed from that in patients with vestibular neuritis.

According to the article, muscular tension/pain is associated with WAD and elevated tension in the muscles in the upper cervical region can cause an increase in sensory input from the proprioceptive system of the neck, which, in turn, creates conflict, since the other undamaged proprioceptive systems do not provide the same increase in sensory input.  In other words, the neck is providing signals to the balance system that are out of sync with the other balance mechanisms in the body. The brain cannot manage such a mismatch of information and the patient experiences dizziness, which occurs at the same time as the neck pain.

Whiplash clinically is similar to postconcussion syndrome, but with the addition of neck complaints.  It is possibly related to cervical vertigo. Dizziness occurs in 20-60%. Dizziness associated with whiplash can persist for years.

Just a thought that you may or may not want to further research.

Best wishes

• Posted

I think my neck and vertigo are related as it started a week after physio to my neck 2 years ago.  I've been to ENT and neuro otologist and i think we are all stumbling (pardon the pun) around in the dark as there isn't enough known about the condition. That's just the way it is.  Also i am due to have a general anaesthetic soon so goodness knows how that will effect my vertigo as you mention intubation.  I really think that the vertigo is here to stay and i just have to learn to adapt to it rather than let it dominate every day of my life.  Enjoy the good days, do whatever you think might help but basically for myself I will have good days and bad days and over the past 2 years i can have a good morning, get tired, get dizzy, not be dizzy, be back to dizzy, walk around tilted and another day feel quite stable.  It's totally unpredictable.

• Posted

I'm in New Zealand Marlene, slept up rightish last night and was ok this morning . Head buzzed a lot last night but neck was sore, initially after first few treatments this buzzing went. My dr said they see patients from dentists who have developed bppv too . I don't really have allergies but do have sinus on the one side where the ear always feels blocked, I regular flare ups of sore throats too combined with the same ear, then bang they're gone? Maybe low grade infection which comes and goes ?
    • Posted

Hi again ,New Zealand always looks like UK to me ,countryside so green ,Im just in the throws of throat infection  7 days now plus sore tongue ,but think it's doing the rounds here locally  I avoid sick people like the plague ,since I got a bad virus 10 yrs ago ,which began all my health problems off .

I'm on a site which mentions having had their wisdom teeth out ,then the Dizzyness began,and again on this site it's been mentioned  .

I had my wisdom teeth out ,when I lived in Singapore ,so I know it's not anything dental ,if I didn't have this going everyday  Id find it easier to accept ,same as I would the tinnitus .Keep on plodding I suppose .😁

• Posted

Thanks terry that's fantastic information . I did have whiplash around 2 years ago which silly my never treated professionally. After behind kicked from behind by a horse and sent flying I think I was just so greatful to get up and walk that I really didn't think about the whiplash until it was extremely sore later. I'm definitely going to look up what you have said , thanks so much.
  • Posted

Hi  This is interesting as I too wonder about my neck.  I can't say for sure.  My own experience is I had mri off neck & brain with contrast too see if there was any cause there for my dizzy head & feeling "off".  The neuro-surgeon said my neck was not the cause even tho I have severe arthritis & some bulging disc in my neck.

I at times have ringing in my ears on one side so the evidence seems to point to the ears.  Also I have had dizziness in my life about 4 other times but never has it lasted for 10months!!   It is possible we have more than one thing going on to make our lives miserable right? 

If it goes on & on sometimes a person trained in vestibular therapy can be of help.  Feel better soon.

• Posted

I read somewhere else too about hormones, particularly thyroid. Mine is in the low side of normal range, but thyroid ultrasound in weekend revealed non suspicious multi nodular goitre. Dr didn't want to know but I'm finding more and more that we really need to do a lot of our own research ,
    • Posted

Thanks , would it show as lowish TSH ? dr not that interested as not low enough. Whilst goitre not swollen exactly just lots of nodules

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.