Vertigo, getting your confidence back

Posted , 7 users are following.

How do you regain confidence recovering from vertigo, is it just getting on with it and time?

1 like, 215 replies

215 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think so yeah. I'm still dizzy or rather more woozy and some days I just want to hide away. But I force myself to go out and do stuff, if I get a bit more dizzy nothing bad will happen, I can always go home. So just try to push yourself a bit but not too much xxxxx 
    • Posted

Think it's the thought of having bad do again plus I think there's a bit of anxiety, was in bed a week then gradually did more and more if fact not much I haven't done... Except somersaults lol,  just not keen on being on my own though especially out and about, how long have you had it?
    • Posted

I've been woozy for almost 6 weeks. I get very anxious too and don't like being alone. But I'm also a mum to 4 kids so I've kind of got to carry on! It is VERY hard at times! 
  • Posted

Yes I agree with Babz36. Push yourself but not too hard and also try not to avoid things that would normally do.
    • Posted

Thanks I don't have little ones so it will be easier for me in some ways, in a well known shop I asked my husband to see if you could tell anything by my walk he soon grabbed my arm and said security will think your drunk lol, I think one min I think I'v improved the next I haven't, one day seems ok the next doesn't, did either of you go to ent?
    • Posted

I've been referred but not heard anything yet. I walk as if I'm fine no one can tell. I just feel constantly drunk. It's worse when I'm tired. But in order for the brain to compensate you must try to do as much as you can so your brain can work out how to bypass the faulty signals. It's a horrid thing to suffer with and at times I get very down xxxx 
    • Posted

I hope you get through this soon,  I know untill you experience something like this you don't realise how awful it is to not have your independence and freedom. I'm taking one tablet a day now but have gone a few without,  again I think it's maybe a confidence thing, mine came on in a split second when I was feeling fine so you know you can't change anything you did to prevent it.
    • Posted

Yeah mine was like that, just came out of nowhere. Was horrible. How long have you been suffering? Xx
    • Posted

23rd April but had dizzy spins over the past yr but not as bad or long as this 
    • Posted

Aww mine started on Mother's Day so just after you. It's very frustrating but I'm assured it will get better over time, it just takes a while. There will be good days, bad days, good hours, bad hours but we CAN get through it and we WILL get through it xx 
    • Posted

There's a fab group on Facebook called labyrinthitis support which I've joined. Have a look for it xx 
  • Posted

Hi I'm a fellow sufferer of  3 years dealing with same problem,constant swaying ,rocking motion worst is being upright and the walking in straight line, I do have tinnitus for past 8 going on 9 years.which adds to the balancing prob .like us all want it gone.Friend put me onto the  Veda site found that useful site .you say rightly unless one suffers this condition they can't begin ti know how badly this affects us yes it's good to keep occupied but some days easier said than done.your day works out with it ie to go shopping ,visiting friends,travelling. Even your housework takes so much longer to get done. Tried all thing to get a better day .,but not found it yet.this is why this site is so good takes the isolation away because that's how it makes one feel. XX
    • Posted

Hi. Wow 3 years, that's a long time. Have you not tried VRT? It is very isolating and because you look ok people think you are ok. I try to carry on as normal but as you say it's very hard. I can walk in a straight line but I sway when I'm standing still. Being on here has helped me a lot knowing I'm not alone! Xxx
    • Posted

Maybe we should form a pop group we have the movesbiggrin
    • Posted

I have only been dianogsed by the doctor at the moment,  the hospital ent has no appointments so just waiting to hear from them but I think the waiting time is long, will check the Facebook site out though :-)
    • Posted

Brilliant that's given me smile of the day now all we need is a good name for group (choir and big one at that) so many would be in it think of the film Sister Act they were good at swaying we could do that without any rehearsals either. X 
    • Posted

Sorry diagnosed ....der

we could sing swing music 

• Posted

Tried everything,now going to try Magnets for balance ,tinnitus and rhinitis going to stick them everywhere ,ears back and front then forehead . No your not alone on this site ever. This is a nightmare of a condition hey x
    • Posted

Is that magnets you put under head on pillow and are they regular magnets?   

Used end to have a magnet thing I wore around my neck for migraine about 20yrs ago, migraines eased and I stopped using it but not sure if they eased because of magnet ?????

• Posted

These are stick on ones it's a trial for 1 month ,had the seasickness wristbands,but I think there for short term balance not what we suffer from totally different.ours is daily condition.magnet with battery is it similar to a tens machine which my husband and daughter use  ?
    • Posted

No I have a tens this was small enough to wear around neck, in my head I think I know where it is but you can guarantee it won't be there when I look lol, think it must have worked like the magnets you mentioned maybe just a little stronger
    • Posted

Watch out Simon Cowell were putting in for an audition now need a name I can think of one but I'm to ladylike to print it. XX
    • Posted

Can picture us all on stage right now,...... oh hang on the nausea is back, ok I'v got rid of the image lol
    • Posted

Hahaaaaaaaaaa being sick and hanging onto the microphone for dear life! :-D xxxx 
    • Posted

Yea all walking around with sick bags.and long glitzy dresses what a hoot that would be girls,got us smiling today hey this condition like giving it a good old slap,deserves it.what a to do xx
    • Posted

Show me the way to go home

im tired and I want to go to bed

I had a little vertigo an hour ago

and it's gone right to my head

to all who don't feel good at all at the moment I hope you quickly improve and God Bless x

• Posted

More verses please see if others could add to it.Dizzys good at writing  bet she could ad on one more. How about it Dizzy ?  Nice evening here on the coast windy,but sunny. X
    • Posted

If you mean me...then I'm a he and not a she. I am a 45 year old bloke....hahaha

But if you want a good song, I would go for Dizzy by the Wonderstuff.

"Dizzy!! I'm so dizzy....my head is spinning!

• Posted

It gave me a giggle when realised I put an s in front of h but when I read it thought no good ole Dizzy would laugh at that oops .My rhinitis bad today ,so eyes get pinched ,trying to look at keys.

id go with the dizzy song what say you to Deni should make it this sites theme song when sober and Deni' s when we had a drink (says teetotaller me) have good day tomorrow all.xx

• Posted

Yes, that's going back a bit tommy roe I believe :-)
    • Posted

LOVE the wonderstuff! Am seeing them in July :-) have a good weekend guys! Xxx 
    • Posted

The 60s music was the best ever . Mods and rockers well before Dizzys time.Good song . Me today more for Gary Barlow,nice lad.and he can sing.
    • Posted

You are right about the sixties brilliant,   hope you have a good weekend too babz and remember....make sure the only swaying you do is to music as you dance around the kitchen with an egg whisk microphone x
    • Posted

I'm more into rock myself. Making myself dizzy moshing was never an issue yet I HATE this dizziness!! Lol xx 
    • Posted

I know I dread mornings and opening my eyes to see what my surroundings are doing, not too bad today up to now been in the shower before my husband left for work so one worry gone :-)  anyway babz permission to mosh whilst relaxing in your chair lol ..enjoy ( oh please the thought of moshing hellllpppp)
    • Posted

I've had a mega lie in as my kids are at their dads for the weekend and I was exhausted from a week of 6.30am starts! I feel ok ish so far, still woozy but am used to it now! 
    • Posted

Been trying to be tough with the woozy feelings and carry
    • Posted

Sorry :-( carry on through it staggered a few
    • Posted

Sorry ipad or Internet a bit dizzy too :-)
    • Posted

It's really hard at times.my fella suggested going into Chester today as he needs a suit sizing done, I don't want to go but kind of feel I need to make myself go if that makes sense? Xx 
    • Posted

I got up 5.30 to have shower looking forward to more confidence to have shower with no one here,  do you find it easier having the kids there or on your own? think you will of needed a Lie in with those early starts. As for woozy keep pushing through it ,  wonder if we will remember how bad it was when we are back to normal?  Or would we want to remember....maybe not
    • Posted

I'm ok showering. I don't like being on my own particularly but I've got to get used to it. My kids are 15, 13, 12 and 10 so not massively demanding. They've been amazing while I've been ill. I just worry I'm not being a good mum at the minute. Xxx 
    • Posted

Not surprised you needed a lie in all those earlies, do you find it easier to be busy with the kids or quieter on your own?   Not a bad day up to now for me not really pushed myself though or been out but other than the odd stagger and woozy ok. 
    • Posted

Pls don't beat ur self up, I hope you went to Chester I'v found the car ok think it makes ur head exercise without the effort you look around without thinking,  you wouldn't worry if you were not being a good mum, kids are resillient we don't give them enough credit :-) just let them know you appreciate how the are handling this blip :-) 
    • Posted

Oh I do constantly! We are off to Chester now. My boyfriend was really pleased and hugged me loads when I said id go :-) xxx 
    • Posted

Excellent a hug that isn't to hold you up can't be bad :-) 
    • Posted

Afraid I'm a lifelong teatottaler can't abide it, grew up with migraines 
    • Posted

Can't abide the stuff or the smell of drink .When son and daughter got married I was happy with lemonade.My husband doesn't drink either.

Good giggle on site yesterday started by you then Babz then Giddy it lightened it all up.you get bogged down with the overload of being like this daily.So thanks for getting that going.told my husband what was said eh laughed.he's a tinnitus sufferer like me over 30 yrs he's had it long time but okay balance wise. 

What you got planned for today on site,See I had Giddy in a dress glitzy one at that.misprint oops Sorry again Giddy bad rhinitis day yesterday head pinching xx

• Posted

I have a slight high pitch in one ear, when I think about different symptoms I can see I'v had a bit of each for quite a few years, knew someone with really bad tinnitus, hope you both find yours bearable.  I'm sure giddy has a good sense of humour he's coping with dizziness and humour is compulsory to cope lol     Tonight we are having a Chinese meal ...not cooked by me so there's a good start....just enjoying the last of the sun been a nice day and have been encouraged by how i have felt with just a couple of those stand still and listen moments when you think the spin is there....what I listen for I don't know lol maybe the fairground music ! Anyway thoughts of you all hope you have a good night x
    • Posted

Sounds like you have tinnitus Deni ,never leaves mine is continual hissing in both ears drives me and others nuts,putting it mildly. The balance problem began after I went to an osteopath for sinuses ,had it ever since 3 yrs.

Yes Giddy did take it all in good fun,only youngster to have this issue sad but he's got good outlook to it,he writes a lot of sense on this subject he's certainly put lot of thought into it.. Drs could do well to reading his thoughts on this balance we have. Stand still and listen moments I try and get them in and take a breath.this is a stressful condition to live with,since I got it I now know it's quite common out there. I'm in good old Dorset it's been sunny, cold and odd bit of rain good old UK no place like it.i say

Enjoy your Chinese don't do that foreign food Sorry.even though I did live in Far East the smell off the Chinese street stalls put me off......

You to have good evening x

• Posted

I only ate very small amount for convenience sake really, I don't like or eat spicy foods but I have been drinking water to dilute the bit I'v had heard people can feel worse after such food.  Nice to see giddy speaking out I take it he has also done his research on the subject, I'm like that hate tablets (doctors know this) want to understand as much as I can and go by my experience feeling etc, my husband doesn't ask questions just goes along with things but it's good to see a man sharing on something he knows about, 
    • Posted

Giddy hope that doesn't sound patronising it certainly wasn't meant that way redface
    • Posted

Yes he know how to put it across ,Gillian's another on site, sent me a Veda video on it .a lady called Sue talking to trainee nursing students on this subject,myself and dizzy Darren have watched it.this lady has it bad worst case ever began in her 40s she's now in her 60s .,sad hearing .

Your like me spicy food in moderation.but I do watch salt intake due to Blood Pressure,my favourite is liver and onions can't beat that.Each to there own I say,.im sensitive to tablets but the old BP tabs are a must every day,no way out of that one . 

My husbands like yours understands me and tinnitus but not the balance with it,so think it good Dizzy being so informed on it he's sharing what he's learnt good on him hey x

• Posted

Marlene who is Giddy? Did you mean Dizzydarren?  It came to mind last night and I thought who the @£@)& is Giddy lol,    My apologies to Dizzydarren (aka Giddy) if we got your name wrong. redface
    • Posted

Can I say good morning to all hope you are all buzzing and I don't mean between the ears lol, it's a nice day and we are another day nearer getting over this thing yeah lol
    • Posted

Morning Babz hope your trip went well yesterday and you actually enjoyed it,           
    • Posted

Morning! Well we went to Chester and the suit fitting was done :-) the lighting in the shop made me feel a bit yucky but I persevered and was fine :-) I even managed to go into a couple of other shops and we went out for tea too! Was exhausted by last night tho! My new mantra at the minute is "feel the fear and do it anyway!" How are you feeling today? Xx
    • Posted

Not three bad lol bit of whooshing in head during the night but opened eyes this morning and all steady, maybe my new mantra should be don't  expect what might not happen.    Shops are a nightmare i was in morrisons once and at checkout I thought I'm going to go over, everyone's looking PANIC lol but I saw it through and lived to go dizzy another day but as I said with each tick of the clock we are stepping a way from this. 
    • Posted

Exactly. It's hard to keep positive at times but we must try. The more negative and anxious we are, the worse the symptoms are. I'm trying to embrace and ignore it and know it's a blip and won't be there forever (let's see if I can keep this positive attitude eh!) xxxx 
    • Posted

Yes,yet another senior moment,Darren for me now,Dizzy ,Giddy gets bit confusing.Darrens a nice name to.my ears are going like crazy,another fun day with this noise.Oh the joys of life ? Raining here cold wind that never stops ,now tell me your sat in sunshine ?ha!ha!xx

• Posted

Suns behind cloud here but it's bright, tried to rain but hasn't ...so far.....we are on the coast only 14 degrees at the mo, roll on warmer days
    • Posted

I'm here in Dorset,you'd think salty sea air would help my rhinitis but it doesn't.Cant win with none of it.definatly won't be buying a boat that's for sure in the near future.Hope I get their free trial magnets tomorrow in mail .going to put them on my ears and forehead.see if that works.nothing to loose I say.Hi to every one X
    • Posted

We are Saltburn by the Sea, (Gods little acre. LOL).  Be interesting to see how you get on with the magnets, I asked my husband where the one I had for migraine was and he thought the same as me so will try and find it out you never know might work for this too. Hope your ears calm down and you can relax, remember at all times  KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON 
    • Posted

Try anything maybe the answer ,turns out to be the simplistic of thing one wouldn't think to try,few years back I had a fleeting thought to magnets because of the balance,one uses scales for balance things? So why not magnets.soon find out.A fella on site once had an antibiotic his tinnitus stopped whilst on it,he thought good it's gone ,finished the course ,then tinnitus came back so it's had to have had an ingredient in it that stopped his tinnitus for that period of time.Cant recall his name for the life of me.

I'm down in Poole Deni another Gods little acre too,x

• Posted

Had a bit of a crappy day today. Almost collapsed in a camping shop. Was weird lighting and uneven floors that did it I think. Feel ok now (still woozy but not horrific) I'm quite tired today too so don't think that helps! Hope you've all had a good day xxx 
    • Posted

Sorry to here about your day Babz, we went to a national Trust property recently I couldn't manage to go upstairs they were old and uneven but I did attempt to go onto a balcony I took two steps out and one quick wobbly one back so I know a lot of places are not 'us' friendly.  Also how you feel from one moment to another can change very quickly just hang in there you will get over this, like you said you are tired and that doesn't help. I'm tired and trying to hang on a bit but don't feel too good, you have done well the last few days but our efforts drain us. Today with family here was like being in the kitchen as I said earlier as I seemed to constantly keep turning from one to another, the kids had the tv on and the chatter...  OH THE ChATTER lol, anyway I hope you have a good refreshing night and you feel better tomorrow and lifted in spirit smile
    • Posted

I don't feel too depressed today, I know I CAN do things. Today was just a bit of a blip. It's all part of recovery I guess! My next door neighbour hS been seriously ill due to medication he was on for Crohn's disease. His nervous and balance systems were damaged and he couldn't work, had no memory etc a year on he's walking unaided and doing really well. If he can do it, so can I!!! Xx 
    • Posted

You know you can and will, exercise those reflexes to the best of your ability  and show them and yourself who's in charge, one step at a time will get you there even if you step back a few times ;-). Your neighbour sounds inspirational good on him 
    • Posted

Just watching the stones in Hyde park, oh yeah bit of a bop and sing along ...neither of which are very good x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.