Vertigo is due to crystals in the ears. So my Dr tells me.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I was diagnosed with Vertigo about three weeks ago. My Dr has put me on Stemitil. I rang up my Drs for a call back and requested an increase in the dosage. My Dr said he couldn't and advised against it anyway. I said I get the dizziness when I look up to a top shelf during shopping and I have to keep looking down. Also when I go to bed and as soon as I lay down the room spins. He said don't look up as this will make it worse. I said so how can I get things from the top shelf when shopping then? He advised to try and not do it. Evidently he doesn't do the shopping or he is as tall as a giraffe.

I feel like Noddy, look up, look down, with my head bobbing up and down all the time. It really puts you off wanting to do anything.

The Dr said I could have the crystals removed. I declined, as I've had enough of my ears being probed in the past.

Have any of you had any procedures done to your ears and its cured your Vertigo?

Best regards

Gloriana

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mine is identical to yours

it started on 23 rd February on the way back from Canberra. I am in Australia.

i have also been told it is because of crystals in the inner ear.

mine got better then I had teeth out and a BCC cut out and back came the vertigo but not as bad as in February.

• Posted

Hi Kathlee

Oh dear sorry to hear that. This is not the first time people have had problems with either Vertigo or setting off the Nerves.

Are you on any medication for it?

Best Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

No medication! In February I did but apparently if it does not work there is no,point in repeats. 
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen

have you tried other medication? Maybe that will work for you.

Gloriana

• Posted

No. It will reduce again by itself. It makes me very cautious because I have recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis so must avoid falls. I am very anxious about everything at the moment. I had teeth out, then a skin cancer on my nose which has yet to be checked by pathology to see if further surgery is needed. Seems a lot to deal with and am hoping nothing else happens for a long while!
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen

I too have Oesteoporosis, in my back but nothing showed up on my hips even though they give me gip.

You have been through a lot. Fingers crossed your pathology test comes back negative. I agree you don't need anything else. Take care.

Best Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Gloriana, do yourself a favour, go in line, go to Facebook,if you have  it, and put in Vestibular Disorders association (it will come up,with Veda after This. so you know it,s the right one.  go,ahead and ask your questions on there. they are extremely good, have loads of info you can get links,to,from their website.  It will,teach you all you need to know about ,crystals,, which if you have them, is probably BPPV.  If there is one thing you,Need to,do with this illness, is educate yourself as ordinary GP,s (and many ENT's too) are, how can I,put this politely, less than knowledgeable!!  If you don,t have Fqcebook, then  Enter that into,Google 
    • Posted

Hi Gillian,

Thanks for the advice I will do that.

I agree re GP's I've been known to tell them which medication and dosage to put me on that I know will work lol.

Best Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Hi,  I have had this for over 10 years now after a river cruise in Germany and after a MRI scan it was diagnosed as BPPV.  The consuItant actually showed me the crystals and explained what was happening when I moved my head in certain positions and why it was happening.  I had  the epley movement twice and for me personally it did not help, but I do know it has a good track record.  Perhaps you should  ask your GP about this.  Mine are very similar symptoms to you, looking up and down and in particular lying on my back, which over the years has made in awkward if I had to have x-Rays etc, going to the dentist and putting your head back in the wash basin at the hairdressers,  but I found if you explained your predicament most people were sympathetic and found a way round it but they knew little about the condition.  Personally I discovered that if I got stressed out this made it worse.  I also found that when the dizziness came over me if I concentrated on the corner of a room, it calmed it down.  The only other advice I can offer is not to let it take over your life, I know after all these years what triggers the attacks so I try to avoid them.  When I am out shopping if I see anything I want on a high shelf, then I just ask somebody to get it down for me, nobody has said no to me yet.   I was told in the early days that it would stop as quick as it started, but that has not happened in my case, though I can say that really bad attacks only happen at least once a year now, so I stay in bed and take Stemital that was prescribed by the doctor until it calms down.  I don't know if my reply has helped, but this is just my story.

eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Thank you for your story and yes it has certainly helped. My Dr said it would go, but I don't see how when you have crystals in your ear. But I will go back to him and ask him about other options that don't result in probing your ears.

Best Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Hello.

Request the Epley Manoeuvre. Its a set of head movements designed to shift the crystals into a place where they wont make you dizzy.

If its BPPV it will work really quickly to get rid of the spinning. The general wooziness can linger unfortunately though.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for for the advice. I'm going back to my Dr's to see what the options are for me. I'll let you all know what he said.

Best Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Hi Gloriana I had vertigo a few weeks ago nothing done to my ears no and still have a few dizzy spells now and again but I find swimming makes it 10 times better for me.

I wasn't going to let this thing beat me so I try and do as much as I can because you will cope with vertigo as days and weeks go on.

I find if im watching TV or laying down it can go worse so I find other things to do like gym and swimming.

At least I don't have to have a glass of wine before bed because it feels like iv had 1 so save me money there.

Hope u get better soon and can control this thing.

Just carry on doing normal things and don't let it beat u take care pete

• Posted

Hi Pete

My Dr said it would go away, but don't know when. It just annoys me when I can't look up etc.

i still manage to go out of a morning and potter about the home, usually with housework. Mine always seems to be worse at night too. I can't say that the Stemital actually works because it's such a low dosage, but a I guess it's better than nothing.

Best Regards

Gloriana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.