Vertigo is due to crystals in the ears. So my Dr tells me.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I was diagnosed with Vertigo about three weeks ago. My Dr has put me on Stemitil. I rang up my Drs for a call back and requested an increase in the dosage. My Dr said he couldn't and advised against it anyway. I said I get the dizziness when I look up to a top shelf during shopping and I have to keep looking down. Also when I go to bed and as soon as I lay down the room spins. He said don't look up as this will make it worse. I said so how can I get things from the top shelf when shopping then? He advised to try and not do it. Evidently he doesn't do the shopping or he is as tall as a giraffe.

I feel like Noddy, look up, look down, with my head bobbing up and down all the time. It really puts you off wanting to do anything.

The Dr said I could have the crystals removed. I declined, as I've had enough of my ears being probed in the past.

Have any of you had any procedures done to your ears and its cured your Vertigo?

Best regards

Gloriana

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you tried the eply manouvre or the half somersalt for dizziness search on line to see how its done x
    • Posted

Hi Alison,

No I haven't tried one and I will certainly check up on it online.

Thanks.

Best Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Gloriana,

definitely look up epley manoevre. Try different GPs until you find a good one. It took 3 before I got to see a really good one who understands vestibular conditions.

Theres alot of people with dizziness who are exploring their diagnosis and many other factors can be a cause of dizziness too. Far too often GPs and other health people get it wrong.

• Posted

Hi Dizzimare

Thanks I will look up Epley manoeuvre and as for GP's my GP is generally  the best as he's always booked up. He did say my crystals could be removed and I declined. But I could ask him about the other options if things get too bad. 

I am one for pursuing matters and my GP is always obliging lol. I should think so after being with him for ten years. 😊

Best Regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Hi Gloria, I'm really sorry to hear you have vertigo I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy it's horrendous,

I've suffered for over 10 years now and having an attack is still my biggest fear in life,

I take beterhiatine 200mg x 3td

I won't go anywhere without it, and it does keep attacks at bay but when one wants to raise its ugly head a full blown attack will come on very suddenly without any worning,

I also can't look up without the feeling sick or the fear of falling over and being very sick,

I lost 60% of my hearing from severe vertigo so please everyone out there don't ignore vertigo, I was told it was a virus at first but I still suffer today after 10 years I don't think it's a virus

Look after yourself treat yourself gently because I don't think it's recognised as bad as it is

Leona

• Posted

Hi Leona

I'm sorry to hear you have suffered for so long and that you lost most of your hearing. I didn't know Vertigo could cause that. Thanks for letting us know.

Have you tried other medication that may help with all of the problems of your Vertigo? 

Take care.

best regards

Gloriana

• Posted

I'm not really sure if it causes hearing loss because they both started at the same time very coincidental really

I was told it might of been a virus ? But I still get them after all this time so I'm not convinced on that either,

I have had several operations over the years to try and rectify my hearing but I have come to accept its gone now,

As soon as someone mentions there ears to me I advise them not to ignore them, get advice or treatment quickly and if your not happy change GP or consultant, I wish I had before it was to late,

I wish you all the luck in the world in finding what's best for you

And if you hear of someone suffering with there ears or any form of dizziness ringing noises tell them to act quickly.

Leona

• Posted

Hi Leona

I agree it does seem to be a coincidence regarding your hearing. I've suffered with my hearing ever since I was a child and am now partially deaf in both ears, but I do get by. 

Ive been given some good advice on here too regarding different options, but I will see how I get on as its steady at the moment and not as bad when I look up.

Thankyou Leona and all the best to you.

Kind regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Hello Gloriana,

Like you I've had this for 3 weeks , my Dr suggested operating to remove the crystals, but I would be left with some degree of deafness! Not much of a choice! 

Following someone elses advice, on this forum, I have returned to playing bowls and trying to live a normal life. Bowls includes all the exercises given to me by the Dr ... Looking Up, Down, Side to Side and bending. First few sessions I suffered, however, it is beginning to pay off. Must admit my fellow players, who I know very well, were very understanding and supportive.Feel quite pleased with myself for making the effort.

Pauline

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

My Dr never told me that removing Crystals would cause deafness. That's probably because I declined that he never continued. But I'm partially deaf anyway. 

Yea, I too have read quite a few posts where people advise to take up some form of exercise/sport, it's certainly worth thinking about. My bowling club is only up the road from where I live lol.

Thanks Pauline. Hope all goes well for you.

Best Regards

Gloriana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.