Very worried - waiting for endocrinologist

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All

You've probably read this a million times but am new to all this!! Started over the past few months with anxiety, mood swings, crying, racing heart adn being hot all the time. Went to the docs initially as I thought it was anxiety. She was great and ordered bloods asap and gave me propranolol for anxiety. Thyroid came back "not normal" and just had an ultrasound showing lots of small nodules. Anyway my concern is the meds - ive been referred to an endocrinologst but she hasnt prescribed me anything - just told me to take propranaolol 10mg x 3 a day. Just scared as I dont want to get worse!! Anything I can do while I wait? xx

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't panic !  I went through the entire process 3 years ago and after every symptom known had to have the thing out, complete with a lump the 'size of a small orange' on it that my Doctors hadn't spotted despite being shown the lump in my neck.

It took 2 years afterwards to get the thyroxine sorted as I was taking it at night with a milky drink rather than with water in the morning.  Once that was put right, I was back to normal in 3 hours from taking the pills and now lead a 100% normal life, masses of energy and no problems at all.

Its horrendous and very debilitating, but it can be sorted and you can be totally back to normal - plus you get free prescriptions :-)

Been there, know what you are going through, but you will come out the other side.

Ross

• Posted

Hi Amy,

There isn't much you can do but wait until you see the endorinologist..Your doc cant prescribe any meds yet until you get the correct diagnosis from the endocrinologist.

The propranalol is to calm your heart rate and anxiety.  Just sit tight and wait you will be fine...Best wishes..

• Posted

Thanks so much everyone - just feel so down - but really nice to get the support xx

• Posted

ps is the propranolol ok to take 3 times a day? ive only been taking two as no guidance as to how many hours to space them out x

• Posted

Hi Amy,

Space them out through the day...take one with your brekki at say 7-8a.m......one at about 3- 4pm....   and one at about 11-12 midnight before you go to bed. If doc has prescribed 3 a day then you should be fine. They will calm your heart rate and relax you... best wishes. 

• Posted

Just rang the referral line at the docs and she hasnt referred me yet - I know its only a week but literally sat at work here and could cry!! its the breathlessness thats getting me down xx

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I do feel for you, it must be dreadful feeling breathless all the time. My guess is your doc may need to up the dosage of propranalol. My advice to you is if you are getting severely breathless and it is really worrying you, get yourself to the A & E department at your local hospital. Thats what they are there for don't feel as if you are bothering them, not being able to breath properly is serious. State your case to them about waiting for a referral and tell them the dosage of propranalol you are on at the moment. Go there during you lunch break or after work.  The more breathless you become the more panicky you will be and become more breathless....Have you had a telephone consultation with your doc does your surgery have this facility,,,if so ring them and tell them that you cannot breath you

are very breathless and need to speak with your doc...if this is not possible then go to A & E and state your case... Best wishes Amy..let me know how you get on...

I am with you all the way on this..because it is very frightening if you cant breath properly...

• Posted

thanks so much for the help - I was anxious this morning so it felt bad but its not as bad at the mo. Im just frustrated because I rang the docs and she hadnt done my referral (a week ago) so I got really upset. Am going to ring and mither daily. I just feel like im moaning all the time x

• Posted

Hi Amy,

You are not moaning! It is important the doc makes that referral. If she hasn't done it by the weekend I would personally write to her. It is in your best interest to see the endocrinologist as soon as you can to get an official diagnosis. A week seems to be a long time for your doc not to have made the referral yet. I would have thought docs would do that on the same day they see you. Keep telephoning

don't feel as if you are a pest you need that referral...best wishes...

• Posted

You need to chase your surgery daily but don't get yourself too worked up as it will make your symptoms worse! If your Endocrinologist feels your bloods are bad enough and they have a long waiting list, they should be able to ask your GP to start you on medication to relieve some of the symptoms before you are seen. I assume you are hyperthyroid so Carbimazole or Propylthiouracil are two possible options. If this doesn't happen, find out who you've been referred to and speak to the secretary who can ask the Consultant if this is possible. Good luck. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

Hi All!

Thanks for your lovely kind replies! I rang again and she's sent my referral to the referral centre in my home town who then apparantly contact me to see which hospital I prefer!! Can't believe all this but feel better now the wheels are in motion. Breathing g been ok, not great but ok. I just panic T night thinking I'm going to have a heart Attack or will skip a beat!! Mad I know. Anyway- thanks again- will keep you updated xxx

• Posted

Hi Amy,

So pleased your doc sent your referral. Ball rolling now.. you can breathe a bit easier now!! just relax have a nice cuppa and watch a good movie and just chill...have an early night even...everything will turn out well...let us know when you get your referral and what hap....take care and best wishes..

• Posted

Thanks everyone- just can't wait to get sorted. Does the carbamazole help with the heart symptoms? That's what I hate the most xxx I feel like my heart skips!! Sure it can't but I don't half worry!! Xx propranolol helps me though 
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

I am sure that once you have seen the endocrinologist and you are prescribed your medication all your symptoms will be sorted out.  Sometimes it can take a while to get dosages etc., right as has happened with a few patients on the site, but you will get there.... keep us updated..best wishes..

• Posted

Thanks everyone- booked my app at hospital-12th December!! Closest one!! Going to check daily for cancellations xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.