Vestibular issues caused by memory foam mattress?

Posted , 21 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone else has started experiencing these vestibular issues since buying a memory foam mattress?  Seems coincidental that weeks after my mom purchased this type of mattress, her vertigo started. I purchased same mattress and then shortly after, I began to experience migraines & dizzyness. I am hoping this is not the case, but certainly has me concerned.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wouldn't think so because the memory matress is supposed to conform to your body, limiting pressure points. But who knows! I don't have one, but still have vestibular problems.
  • Posted

Hi, interesting point Marie. I do have a memory foam mattress which I have had for several years before I developed vestibular problems. It does make you think though as these mattresses are very synthetic and alot of people are ellergic to latex. I shall be very interested to hear if others experiences with memory foam. Jan.
  • Posted

I have a memory foam mattress for some years before my vertigo symptoms started.  I don't feel,it's connected as I know exactly  the day mine started which was when I had a virus, woke up,with it one morning and it's never gone away since. I don'think that allergies can aggravate what's already there however. Maybe take it off for a few weeks and see if there' s any g difference? 
  • Posted

Take it from someone who has been suffering from vertigo/dizziness for years...even if you think this is the problem....return mattress and get your money back.......Dont they give you thhirty  days from purchase date????
  • Posted

I don't have a memory foam mattress and thank the Lord this started before I got my adjustible bed *L*.  I don't think I could give it up.  I agree with Marie.  If you really think the mattress triggered it I would either take it back or move it to another bed for awhile and see what happens.  I'd do almost anything to stop this.  I'm afraid it's going to be my diet and I just don't know if I can force myself to eat what they reccomend *sigh*.  I will pray you find the problem Marie (that's my middle name). *L*
    • Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to try sleeping in a different area, not sure where as I stupidly changed all mattresses to memory foam. If anyone is thinking about getting one, keep in mind, they do make you sweat, partifularly worse in summer and with that being said, I have read that those chemicals then seep in to your skin. Something I didn't know about these type of mattresses before I bought. They are very comfortable, probably one of the better sleeps I've had, however at what price. I bought these mattresses about 7 months ago so warranty is not valid. Others have tried to complain to this company and they get nowhere. Too bad, large and supposed reputable company. I guess my next step is to get tested for any new allergies I am unaware of. 

Take care every one.

• Posted

I have one, but it sits on top,of my regular mattress.  I dont I sweat any more in the summer than i,did  when just had a regular one.  do,you all have covers on yours? I have a double,layer of covering.  I actually couldn't bear to,sleep on a regular mattress now as I find when do have a rare visit overnight somewhere I can't sleep and that,s worst or my vertigo.  I am sure that any 'chemicals' have to be safe as such or they wouldn't  be able to sell them. Same  as all furniture now that has to be treated with flame retardant chemicals for safety reasons, as most chairs,,sofas are actually foam of some sort these days. and we sit on those every day.  I personally don't think these mattresses have anything to do with how we developed Vertigo,symptoms, because so many people now have them,,including my friends who gave me mine, and they are fine. 
  • Posted

I have been sleeping now and then on a memory foam mattress. You know how it is more difficult to turn over while sleeping because you have to roll up hill out of your own imprint to change positions. I have often got up and felt dizzy. I thought maybe a reaction to chemicals as has been reported elsewhere (and was concerned!). This morning I could hardly walk across the room without feeling as if I'm whirling to the right, somewhat off balance. Upon researching this topic I found several possible causes of dizziness - one that rings true here is Mal de Débarquement where one feels dizzy after getting off a boat or plane (diagnosed because effect us immediate - like mine was). But the article also mentioned the effect from a water bed. -the effect I think is similar to memory foam-. The brain (and inner ear for balance) takes the sensations on a boat and relearned for stability. The dizziness afterward can indicate the brain /ear is not switching back after learning to rebalance. I like this explanation as less sinister, but am slower to recover today compared to little spurts I've had in past months.

I also noticed some sinus congestion this morning so took an allergy pill to dry up sinuses in case sinus pressure in blocked ear might be cause. Cheap fixes and I hope these 2 tips might explain/ treat the problem. Hope this can help you and others.

• Posted

If you developed the dizzy stuff before getting the mattress i doubt very much it is   that. Mine doesn't make me roll but maybe thinner than yours.  Also,i had been  usng this mattres for over two years before i got the problem. Have always felt it was brought on by a virus . Every day,is different,that's why its hard to treat.  like you i have my little 'tricks' to calm down symptoms when they happen, according to what they are.

• Posted

I just bought a mattress topper and when I tried lying on it I got dizzy. Bummer. This brand advertised no smell and I smelled nothing. Chemicals don't have to smell to cause harm.

I dont  need more problems, bought this to solve problems. 

Did you keep yours? Did it get better? 

Thanks, Pecosd

• Posted

Been looking and see no mattresses made without foam barring very expensive ones. 
    • Posted

Yes, I did keep mine. As you say, most mattresses have this foam and I cannot afford the more expensive ones. I will change the mattress when I can afford to do so. The dizziness/vertigo is not as bad as before but rears its ugly head from time to time. The jury is out on this one but I will never buy another one again. Me too, bought it to solve problems but may have done the opposite.
  • Posted

After finally realizing what has been the cause of my dizziness I had to see if others were experiencing the same problem. I purchased my mattress almost 2 years ago and started developing symptoms of brain fog and dizziness about 1 year ago. It took one whole year before the symptoms started. Since then I've spent about $4,000 out of pocket (chiropractor, MRI Scans, CT Scans, vestibular therapy, visiting every type of doctor out there) trying to figure out what happened to me. A year later and I think I finally figured it out. DO NOT BUY A MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS. I will be contacting Serta and letting them know that their i Comfort Insight Everfeel mattress had just about ruined me for an entire year. I'm a 29 year old male from Pittsburgh, PA. I weigh 150 pounds and am in perfect health aside from my vertigo and vestibular problems that arose from sleeping on this nightmare. I will be telling my story to anyone that will listen. 

• Posted

I,ve been sleeping on. Memory foam mattress for 10 years. I only developed vertigo symptoms 6 uears ago. And v. Doubtful it is due to that. I had a virus that wasnt treated correctly by Drs and no doubt damaged my vestibulr system.
    • Posted

I bought a Sealy posturepedic optimum. Another reason why I would never buy a foam mattress again is you sweat easily from lying on it. Never happened to me with other mattresses, this one is definitely a heat trap.
    • Posted

I have recently bought a feather filled mattress protector which I love.  I never had the 'sweat',problem with mine, bit maybe because it has a cover on it, who knows. But for anyone who cant afford to buy something else you may find the feather, or wool,filled protectors. ,wool is especially good as it is cool in summer and warm in winter. I'm not allowed,to name,the company on here where i get mine from, but if you are in UK PM me and i will give,you the info. They are good company as they supply the big dept stores in UK, and prices are amazing!!

• Posted

This is no joke. I had purchased mine 3 days ago, woke up sick and dizzy. First day my stomach was just troubling me. I read an artical that said the gasses used are toxic and can even cause kidney problems, coma, nervous system damage, etc... some people are more susceptible and sensitive than others. There needs to be a warning lable and am now concidering a lawsuit. People have had their pets have problems as well. 
    • Posted

Have you progressed with your concerns? This is no coincidence. The effects of these types of mattresses are immediate and to whoever is sensitive to this off gassing, it is not a pretty picture. A lot of grief.

• Posted

I posted last year. Bought 2 memory foam mattresses and had to get rid of both. what a fiasco. Both had said non-toxic and both were very toxic to me.

I certainly didnt need to be poisoned by mattresses. i ended up with tinitus and dizziness and a feeling like shocks were going through my head.

i had to go back to using my broken spring mattress that i bought many years ago.

This really is outrageous. There is only self regulation if my memory serves me well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.