Viral Infection/Post Viral Fatigue - Not feeling great

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all,

Hope this is the right place posting...

About 10 weeks ago I started experiencing an increased need to clear my throat, essentially a post nasal drip creating the weirdest throat/chest sensations - Wasn't really bothersome tbh and would come and go.

However beginning of May this became more of a nuisance and now accompanied with new symptoms inc. fatigue, congested face/throat/chest, waves of feeling sick/nausea (like flu), on/off blocked nose and the odd bit of sneezing/coughing. 

I felt pretty awful at times and i saw a doctor who did a general health check and found everything to be fine and reckoned I had a viral infection (possibily glandular fever). Since then, my symptoms have mainly been post nasal drip, fatigue, tiredness and occasional weariness/nausea (no actual vomiting). I definitely feel better compared to May, and usually i am relatively fine for a week, then it hits me like a wave and i feel rough for a day or 2. Seen the doctor twice more, had bloods done which revealed nothing of note apart from low potassium levels.

Doctor concluded post viral fatigue which i am guessing is doc speak for 'we don't specifically know whats wrong with you' - Has anyone had similar symptoms, particularly the throat mucus/post nasal drip, and whether a specific diagnosis was made? I would also welcome any general suggestions or insights from anyone else as I have never experienced anything like this before and is really starting to get me down.

I think my present situation can best be summed as malaise, lack of motivation and recently heart palpations. Hope someone can help smile   

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have the exact same thing you describe: a need to clear my throat and a post-nasal drip (confirmed by my doctor). Up until reading your post, I assumed it was separate from my ME/CFS. Now, I'm thinking, maybe not. ME/CFS is a very specific illness, though I suppose some doctors may dump a patient's diagnosis into that category because they don't know what's wrong. More often, what happens is that ME/CFS patients don't get diagnosed at all, which is what happened to me initially. I think the positive news I see in your post is that you're better now compared to May. I can't stress what a good thing that is, because it seems like you're generally getting better. You might want to check out the "solve ME/CFS Initiative" website for information on symptoms for this illness. Since you've ruled out other problems with bloodwork, the symptoms you list could certainly be ME/CFS. To maximize your chances for continuing to improve, get plenty of rest and pace yourself. Don't push beyond your energy envelope. I know firsthand how discouraging it can be to feel ill, but people can recover from ME/CFS. 

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words Jackie. Yes, mine all started with the nasal drip and has improved vastly but it still there. The heart pulpatations are a new recent addition, though i tend to just ignore it. I tried exercise for the first time in weeks (very light body weigh exercises and yoga), yesterday and struggled getting out of bed this morning, but it didn't feel like i had pushed through my 'energy envelope', more the fact I had experienced a really good sleep (i also have insomina, but not from the viral thing), and thus extra tired.

I am not going to label this as anything too specific, as this will make it a bigger problem. Instead I know that whatever it is i can see this off... my inner dialogue will be key. It is good to know this is more common than it first appears. I think the imporvements are a good sign as you say, but i am generally lacking in motiviation, but even this is slowly and noticably improving smile 

• Posted

Hey Jackie, just posted an update. How is your post nasal drip; is it still there and bothersome or has it markedly reduced or disappeared completely?
  • Posted

Hey Rich,

Sounds like the classic symptoms of post viral/early CFS

What is your daily activity/schedule etc at the moment? What life obligations (work, caring for others) do you have and what environment do you live in?

We need to try and nip this in the bud with a plan for proper reclusive rest and management because it can linger for years if left to run its course alongside your old life pace.

• Posted

Hey Andy - Thank you for your kind words. Yeah, classic post viral symptons and as you say, nip this in the bud. Fortunately i have been able to reduce my activity levels and schedule to one which is just resting and chilling. I have little in the way of life obligations - I am doing minimal work atm (work for myself), living on own in a very quiet place. All conducive for rest. 

My old pace of life is now 180 degree turn. I was living in a very large, loud city, beginning of the year and have sinced moved away (nothing to do with the viral thing, was a planned move) - I use to exercise daily, but all i do now is walk a few times a week at a level pace. I know rest, relaxing and chilling has to be the plan alongside with making sure my inner dialogue/mind is clear of doubtful, low vibrational victimizing, confusing and helpless thoughts. This will be the hardest part...

What suggestions do you have, and i really massively appreciate your help? smile

• Posted

Hey mate,

Well done so far, you're doing all the right things so far. Continue to keep focussing on consistency of behaviour regardless of the immediate result and continue to believe you'll get better.

One more thing I would layer in on top of pacing your activity is the importance of slow progression. Over time, your baseline has dropped significantly and will contribute to further feelings of weakness. You want to get your nervous system to intrinsically feel proof of it's improvement. Do this by walking slightly further every day, like just 10 meters, or for 1 more minute. Or spending 10 more seconds holding a stretch. Whatever your current levels allows, always gently push against the edge. Three important things to remember when doing this:

1) Exercise in the same place every day - a place without lots of variables day to day (eg: dogs in parks, street noise, crowded). This helps calm the senses to external stimuli, which can trigger overload.

If you're feeling really good on a particular session and feel like you could go much further - don't. Always finish inside your limits and never skip a progression point. The mind has good and bad days - calculated milestone progression is stable and thus, a vital structure to pin the variable days onto. Never push past your next progression point ok? Not till the next day.

2) Keep an action diary logging every activity you did, for how long you did it, when you took breaks during it, and how you felt after it. You should also do this with your food intake and your emotional states. Some people find this harder than others but I think you seem quite conscious of how physicality and mentality work together. One thought can trigger another thought, which can trigger an emotion, which can trigger you feeling low energy. It's all traceable - be a scientist and a detective on your patterns.

3) If you have a crash, or a regression - make sure you try to laugh about it, this can short circuit the wiring of fear with overload. Also jot it down in your diary. You'll begin to see patterns in what pushes you too far over time. Over time the number of these will decrease.

Once more thing that's very important > on bad or crash days continue to go to your exercise spot. Instead of doing the exercise, sit down and visualise yourself in real time doing the exercise to whatever distance or time you're up to. Believe in your mind you're actually doing the exercise. There's numerous physiology studies that show the same brain movement centers and nervous system activation in bed-bound patients if they visualise.

I don't think you're far off Rich! Just intergrate the next layer of mild challenge and written condition monitoring and report back in a month on your improvements. If you're really keen, keep a chart on the wall that displays your improvements. Have fun smile

• Posted

Ok, this is all good advice. Thanks once again

Regarding pacing, yeah my baseline has dropped and that would be putting it mildly haha. I am completely staying within my limits and listening to my body. I am competely onboard with progressive exercise and recordng via an activity diary. Things such as yoga, light body weights, stretching etc is ideal for this. Walking wise, i have no problem walking for a couple of hours and i only walk for extended periods if I know I can and feel like it. Whats your take/advice with doing normal activities inconjunction with the actvity stuff?

All other advice is golden and will absolutely report back in a month smile

• Posted

Awesome Rich.

In regards to normal activities I'm assuming you mean household chores, going to the supermarket, meeting friends, that sort of thing? It's a good question and one that is important to address as you continue to improve you'll need to adjust and reintegrate back to every day life.

Treat physical activities the same as exercise. This may involve a forced rest period of 5 minutes for every 5 minutes of activity for example. Keep working to slowly push the time boundaries out. Not all life activities can be controlled like exercise, so forced rest periods are a great management structure to guard against overload.

With meeting friends, this can be tricky as you need a degree of agreeableness to get on with people but you also need to exert control of your energy management. It's a tough balance and I don't know enough about your personality to advise you on the approach to take. If you let me know particular situations I can try.

As you continue to get better and reintegrate, your biggest problem will be dropping the barriers, safeguards and routines you've implemented. They are necessary now, but as you improve you can slowly drop them and cease to have "but my CFS" thoughts. That's when you know you're 100% cured - when it's not a consideration anymore in your planning or life activity.

• Posted

Hey Andy, Not to jinx anything but I have had a huge improvement with my symptons the last couple of days. I feel as if I have fully accepted this; no longer thoughts of anger, anguish, victimhood or anxiety. Basically, the resistance has gone. Intelluctually, I knew all this, emotionally and subconsciously, nahhh wink

I will certainly continue pacing, listening to my body, resting and absolutely keeping to the advice you have kindly provided. I won't delude myself into any false senses, but i will only do stuff which is aligned with what a self-loving person would choose to do; this is my approach!

And right now, I am going to have a nice rest in the gardenv :D

• Posted

Awesome Rich! Keep it up and continue to be nice to yourself if you have a set back. Two steps forward, one set back smile All this consistency builds up over a few months, keep it up!
    • Posted

Update time biggrin - I have made very good progress, indeed May/June was definitely the acute phase. The core fatigue has all but vanished; i can be physically active without the pressing need to have long stints of rest/recovery. My motivation and zest for life has really returned. However, i am very mindful for taking adequent rest, listening to my body and proper chilling. This includes daily meditation/mindfulness, journalling, energy healing, eating well and mostly good thoughts throughout the day haha! I did have a small setback recently from alcohol (despite drinking small amounts), and discovering i am fairly intolarant of the stuff. I understand this is a fairly typical issue for PVF/CFS people...

My insomina has also cleared up 95%. I do still have the post nasal drip (which was my first symptom, though even this is improving, (albeit slowly). Not mentioned in my original post, was my experience of this wierd twitch/shake in my right hand, mostly pronounced in my thumb while holding something. This has also gone! Another odd symptom was this incredible urge to eat fast acting carbs in the morning otherwise I would crash! Up until this point, i hadn't eaten breakfast for about 20yrs! And now, i can easily fast until late afternoon.

The only bothersome sympton remaining are the heart pulptations. I haven't been all that concerned by them, but the alcohol escapades a couple weeks ago has made me notice it more. It comes and goes, always regular but very thumping. Does anyone know anymore about this, why and whether it is just one of those things which just has to run its course?   

I hope this post offers some encouragement and thank everyone for the love and support provided. I think being proactive, literally dropping everything and not identifying with suffering (wont lie, this was hard, but i recommend reading the Power of Now), is what worked well for me. Also thank god it was summer :D 

Cheers

• Posted

Hey Rich,

I too have gone through something very similar. For what it's worth I am a 42yo male. Back in December I got really sick with a very high fever and very bad respiratory infection which left me having trouble just taking one breath for about a week. I eventually recovered but then had two eye infections shortly after. After that subsided I then started with the fatigue problems and cognitive issues. Bumping into things, glasses feeling heavy, trouble sleeping. After about a month of that the heart palpatations started, mostly at night and it would keep me up all night. That lasted for about 3 weeks. There are some times where it comes back but not as bad as it was. I now go in waves of constant head pressure, chest pressure, strange chest sensations, trouble sleeping, brain fog, memory issues, joint and muscle pain, tingling areas in my legs and arms, trouble walking. It goes up and down with the severity of symptoms. Some days I feel ok, which is pretty good, and other days I can barely think or get out of bed.

Ive been through a huge variety of tests. The only thing they can do to get to a diagnosis. I've also reached out to Stanford Medical Center as they have a research program on ME/CFS right now. It's a long wait but it's worth it to get on the list IMO. Nothing to lose.

Overall I am trying everything I have the power too to get back on track. Supplements, better diet, moving and going for walks even when it feels like I can't do it. Work is a challenge sometimes. Getting to work is a challenge. But my boss has been extremely receptive to what I am going through so thankfully I have some options to stay home when needed.

I don't spend much time on this site. I check in every now and then. Trying to focus on what I can, and what I can do day to day to deal with this change of life. Trying to remain optimistic is a challenge to be honest. It's been about 6 months and I'm pretty tired of it but don't have much of a choice. Not getting depressed is a challenge as well and will only feed the symptoms I think. I honestly don't even know if I have ME but atleast it's something I can point too until the rest of the tests get completed.

• Posted

Hey Seed, how are things now? I feel for you, there was no way i could have worked though i could have likely pushed myself if necessary. I was very fortunate that i was able to drop everything and live a very quiet existence. I had a friend who last saw me at the beginning of my illness and saw me recently again. They acknowledged the difference in apparence, energy and vibe was 180 turn. Just dropping anything stressful (this included people), and allowing myself to recovery is what gave me room for all the other things to work.

I am not 100%, and there has been a couple steps backwards, but where i was to where i am now couldn't be much different (check my update)

All the best, 

• Posted

Hi Seed, how are you progressing have you seen any improvement in your symptoms?

Hope you are doing better mate 

• Posted

Hi Rich,

Just checking in to see how you are doing? Im about two months in after the acute phase and dont seem to be getting much better? have been having heaps of rest and eating right but feel as though I go backwards even when I do sweet f all the day before....

Hopefully its just time and things will come right....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.