Visible heartbeat during panic attacks

Posted , 7 users are following.

I know that panic attacks cause heart palpitations but i was wondering if anyone else experiences pounding heart which is easily visible on the chest and upper abdomen. My heart beats very strongly asides from fast. Im afraid it cant handle beating like that. I read that too much fear can actually kill you. Also i can hear my heart beating in my ears very strongly. Anyone else?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Eli: Happens to me every time I have a panic attach.  I hate it.  Sometimes I believe people with anxiety get a good heart workout without exercise and this actually helps.  Just trying to look at a positive way of dealing with this. lol.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot. That makes two of us hating it lol. Although i am not new to panic attacks, they seem to have changed and that scares me so much. Like my heart became over-sensitive to stimulants and adrenaline. I feel complete terror during an attack, not just panic. Did you always have the pounding heart thing? Hope you are feeling better and thank you again
  • Posted

Hi eli! Yup, that's always been the scenario everytime i had panic attacks. The feeling is still fresh in my mind to this date. (Stopped experiencing that now that i've overcome my panic disorder).

I hope and pray you surpass that stage of fear, for it's one of the worst feeling ever.

• Posted

Any hints on how to overcome this panic and anxiety disorder! ?
    • Posted

Hi Diane!

I really can't figure out which of the practices i did made my panic attacks fade away. I changed mostly a lot in my lifestyle. I quit smoking,that's number one. I now eat healthy food, avoid sugary,oily, and salty food. I tried loving green leafy veggies(never ate them before yucks). I also engage in indoor/outdoor exercises or activities. Tea, esp ginger tea helps me a lot, it calms my heart and mind really fast. Prayer works too! Sooo much that when i got tired of going to and fro the hosp, i would just close my eyes and surrender myself to God.

Up to this date, i still have some attacks attempting to control me, but no oh no way that it could make me succumb to its power anymore. All i do is acknowldge that it is JUST a panic attack, and i CAN and WILL defeat it, without going to the hosp nor taking any meds.

• Posted

Thank you so much!! I am on meds right now. But I am doing many of the things you are suggesting. I will add others that you have mentioned.

I know it is mind over mind!!!

Hopefully I can wean off the meds in a year, that is my plan!

• Posted

Yup Diane! It's okay to be on meds while doing things that we know will help us get better fast.

I'm sure that you can wean off your meds in no time at all. I wish you well. smile

• Posted

Liza, funny you mentioned smoking cause thats my other concern. My heart has become sensitive to nicotine, to the point that just getting the urge for a smoke would cause me a weird sensation of sweating and tachycardia, like the nicotine was already in my bloodstream. Glad to hear that you are doing so good now, keep it up, you are an inspiration
    • Posted

One of the hardest vices to wean off, isn't it? Quitting is in itself a stress giver; it is hard but doable Eli.

I hope and pray that you too, along with our other friends in this group, get back the life we deserve, a life without having to deal with this nasty anxiety attacks.

Btw, i am not 100% at my best yet. I still have one more concern with my balance issue. I occasionally feel like i am in a boat, a swaying boat! So i always have someone with me whenever i go out of the house.

• Posted

It's not just the nicotine...there are about one thousand legal additives in regular cigarettes. When I found the list I immediately saw two baddies.

Two things that are at least as addicitive as nicotine are sugar and real licorice in smoke form. Also, real licorice raises blood pressure. I changed to a non additive ciggie...called American Spirits. Well, here I am puffing away at a purely nicotine ciggie....wanting a ciggie. That clued my that the first addiction I had to get over was sugar/licorice (in smoke form) withdrawal. It took a couple of weeks until I didn't crave a regular brand.

Then, I started tapering just like off a med...one ciggie less every week of two until I am now down to two a day and absolutely do NOT crave any more.

Also, once your body gets used to getting only nicotine it starts to know when it's had enough. I rarely get past three puff, mostly two when my body says "whoa, that's all I can handle" and I knoch the fire off, and relight it later. I light the same ciggie 3 or 4 times a day, so with my two a day, I am lighting up eight times.

Important info....no more habit smoking like, when the phone rings light up, when a friend is smoking light up, when drinking something, etc. Time to smoke deliberately and consciously. I have a spot outside  where I go, get comfy take out a ciggie (which I keep out there) light up and pay attention to each puff, each exhale...I enjoy it consciously. If I start to light up while other things are going on, I catch myself...habit smoke  no no.

Last thing, is in your pack when you start your day ake sure there are exactly the amount you plan to smoke that day. Each time you taper down one there should be one less in that pack.

I have helped hundreds of people come off smoking this way. It's all yours if you really decide to quit. This is totally painless and simple...it just takes time, as does any weaning.

Please refer other smokers you know want to quit so I don't have to write this again.

• Posted

I have felt that as well. I usually lay down on the floor on my left side and try breathing slow and deep
    • Posted

Hi diane, have you noticed your heart visibly beating hard? Hope you are feeling better now
    • Posted

Yes, but it doesn't happen often now. I am on Ativan and Citalopram

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.