vitamin b12 deficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm b12 deficiency. I was diagnosed with vitamin b12 deficiency in December 12th 2014. I've had 4 weekly injections so far.i get 1 more on Monday. Then every 3 months. I know it gets stored in the liver but how long will the 5 injections last. Before the 3 month injection. I'm on neo-cytamen 1000 micrograms. I'm scared confused I don't understand this.. my stomach wont produce b12.. I'm taking centrum for all the other vitamins because I don't know what else to do. My tongue is sore and the roof of my mouth.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

martina I had a low B12 level, and although not extreme, my Dr gave me B12 shots. After my second one, he suggested taking a 5000 mcg B12 lozenge (melts in your mouth). My low B12 level was probably due to my age, 63, not a disorder. I looked up B12 lozenge on the web and found B12 comes in two forms. One is called methylcobalamin and seems to be the most readably absorbed by the body. I took one a day and it increased my B12 level. On my next checkup, my Dr suggested taking one every other day. I live in the U.S. and there is a nonprofit company (USP) that does testing on supplements. If a brand manufacture meets their standards, they can put a USP label on their bottle. I don’t know if this applies in the U.K. but I look for a USP label on supplements.
    • Posted

Steve hi.. my stomach wont absorb b12 that's my problem. My b12 is at 160.. im getting injections for this reason.. don't know how bad that is.. I'm in Ireland. . Thanks for your reply..
  • Posted

Neo-cut amen is hydroxocobalamin. You may need more injections with neuro symptoms.
    • Posted

Inflammation of stomach lining could be gastitis. 200 is deficient in the uk. At 160 you do need injections but also check that your folate is in the high end of range. If range for folate is 3-20 them aim for 15-20. Taking 5mg daily folic acid will help folate levels. B12 uses folate to become active and metabolise into your cells where it is needed.
    • Posted

Keep a daily symptom diary. When you feel symptoms returning book an appointment and take your symptom list with you.
    • Posted

is it normal to feel lightheaded and slight headache after injection
    • Posted

Yes. Don't worry this is your body adjusting to the new levels. Expect other symptoms to worsen as the cells and nerves 'wake up'. You may also get small red pimples which is the harmful homocysteine braking down and leaving the body. Xx
    • Posted

Heather after the injection yesterday I felt funny as I told you. This morning I had tremors or something like shaking inside not outside.. my hands were steady.. I carried toast and cereal and a drink to my little boy and spilled nothing.. but now it's stopped...
  • Posted

hi Martina. sorry to hear about your diagnosis and lack of support & advice from the Medics. firstly don't panic. deficiency has been identified & treatment has commenced. that's half the battle. the injections will help replenish your liver stores of b12 that the body will use as required. ideally you should begin to experience a positive response in the coming months. however, the response can sometimes depend on how long u have been b12 deficient and to what degree amonst other variables.

if u live in the UK, the treatment regime is usually 6 injections on alternate days. then an injection every 2-3 months. once the organ stores are renewed, your body will use them as required. the 2-3 monthly injections will help keep the liver reserves topped up. it's advisable to take a 'good quality' B complex including Folic Acid. and of course a well balanced diet.

you will need to establish what the cause of your b12 deficiency is i.e. whether PA or other cause such as malabsorption syndrome? if it's PA then you will need ongoing injections every 2-3 months. if not then some digestive investigations may need to be explored. you will need to have twice yearly checks on your b 12 levels. however, this may vary for each medical practice. do you know your b12 levels? and what investigations have been done to date.

C

• Posted

Hi catkin. I live in Ireland. My reading was 160 on vitamin b12 deficiency. All I know is I'm on injection because my stomach will not produce vitamin b12. Blood test were taken because my mouth was feeling sore it came back with this result.. I would say I'm about 3 months with vitamin b12 deficiency
    • Posted

Hi martina. there are 2 measurement scales used to measure B12 deficiency:

1) one measures in nanograms per litres (ng/L)

2)the other one measures in nanomoles per mill (nmol/ml)

1)if your measurement is 160 ng/L that would be considered 'severe' deficiency'.

2)if your measurement is 160 nmol/ml that would be considered 'moderate deficiency'.

with either of the above u need to receive 6 injections (maybe it's 5 in Ireland) & then top up injections every 2-3 months , preferably the latter.

the above values are from ''Dr Chandy's b12 def. protocol'' (google it & it'll give u a lot of info, in an accessible format

hope that helps

C.

• Posted

Hi caitlin mine is 160 nmol/ml I think. I get my 5th injection tomorrow. Blood test also showed I'm starting early pre menopause. Does this ever get better
    • Posted

hi martina. yes it does get better. the speed of response can vary from person to person. it depends on what else is going on with the body/person.

i'm wondering if your on anti-inflammatory medication as well the ant-acid 'Omeprazole' for your costochondritis?

C

• Posted

No caitlin I take panodol for pain. I use to be on ibuprofen didn't help. Doctor gives me melfen but I husband takes them on me when he has a headache. So I take panodol. I buy myself there good for migraines. The costochondritis don't hurt like It use to the first 4 years was chronic..
    • Posted

sorry to bother you again. Can I ask you 1000 micrograms ml of b12 how much is that.. and does it all go into the liver...
    • Posted

hi martina. anti-iflammotories i.e. ''ibuprofen''. ''Naproxen'' etc reduce pain due to inflammation. however, long term use of these anti-inflammatories can erode the lining of the stomach. this can prevent the production of a protein called ''Intrinsic Factor'', that's necessary to absorb B12 from the food we eat. there are, however, other reasons, including digestive anomolies, why absorbtion of b12 can be interrupted.

I'm not familar with the name ''Melfen'', but looked it up just now and it's the same as ''Ibuprofen''.

re: dosage. 1000 micrograms in one ml. that just means the amount of b12 in one ml of solution. for example. there's 5 mls in a teaspoon. so the injection is just one ml volume. it's the standard dosage & volume for b12 . hope that makes sense.

c

• Posted

p.s. re the storage of b12: the liver can store up to 5 years supply of b12

b12 is, however, stored to a lesser degree in other organs such as the kidneys

C

• Posted

1000mcg = 1mg. When injected into the muscle it enters your blood. The muscle slowly releases it into the blood.
    • Posted

That is not a lot. 1 ml that's not enough surely.. so after tomorrow that will be my 5th injection.. I will only have had 5 ml of b12.. A spoonful. . Then I have to wait 3 months to get 1 ml again.. how is 1 ml suppose to help this condition.. sorry I'm not giving out.. im just really worried.. I always thought I was getting 1000ml. .
    • Posted

That is not a lot. 1 ml that's not enough surely.. so after tomorrow that will be my 5th injection.. I will only have had 5 ml of b12.. A spoonful. . Then I have to wait 3 months to get 1 ml again.. how is 1 ml suppose to help this condition.. sorry I'm not giving out.. im just really worried.. I always thought I was getting 1000ml. .
    • Posted

1ml is the normal amount for injecting. If you suffer neurological symptoms you may need more.
    • Posted

So how do you get your b12 reading to go up to where it should be if they inject so little..
    • Posted

The body will use a lot in the beginning for repair. For good repair it is believed to have a constant level above 1000. You can only go by sptoms once on injections. Your body will tell you when you need more. Some people don't need many injections others need many to repair all the damage.
    • Posted

hi martina. think my explaination has not been as clear as it could be.

it's not the actual VOLUME that matters. it's the ''nutrient'' content contained in the volume that matters i.e. the 1000 micrograms of b12 contained in each ml injection. the actual 1000 micrograms of b12 is diluted in one ml of sterile water so as it can be given as an injection. it has to be in a fluid medium to be absorbed by the muscles.

hope that makes it clearer.

C

• Posted

Thanks heather I'm sorry I'm just scared I really don't understand anything about this condition. You seem to know everything about this.. I think 1ml is terrible.. you have it all figured out. Wish I was you.. Are your symptoms gone are you long having injections.
    • Posted

My b12 was level 140 but it took me 8 months of educating myself and confronting my dr for treatment. I had 9 injections over a 3 week period then monthly. I started my loading in September. My body tells me when I need more. My symptoms get worse. It can take 12 months or longer to feel well if you receive correct treatment. Many people are self injecting. There is a real problem getting the amount of injections needed from drs. Try not to worry. B12 is a non toxic and water soluble vitamin that is harmless. (Very few people have allergies to b12). You can't overdose with b12.
    • Posted

God bless you.. your so sweet and kind.. Thanks for helping me and listening to me...
    • Posted

is it normal to feel lightheaded and slight headache after injection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.